Robot target practice

HI-SEAS space farm

Jun 23, 2013, 8:23:06 PM6/23/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Message from Henk Rogers.

Let's do a couple of simple tests before we grow anything. Let's put a bunch of objects in the test bed (fruits, vegetables, cups, etc.) and set up a series of tele-robotic manipulation tests. Then we can grow the list to the point where we actually have a list of maneuvers we can do on plants. Then we can choose plants which can be grown using the techniques we have developed in the test bed.

The test bed can be a couple of sheets of plywood with targets painted on them for testing robot manipulation accuracy. We could record all tests with an overhead cam etc.

Aloha,
Henk

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 23, 2013, 8:26:15 PM6/23/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
This seems like a great idea! Starting remote-operation with simple objects.

Ileana and Simon, do you think we can set this up next week? We might have to ask Kim to get a laptop for this.

Cheers,
Angelo

Simon Engler

Jun 23, 2013, 8:31:11 PM6/23/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
If Ileana can get the robotic arm up and running on her end, it is
then a networking matter to control from here. Not sure how long that
will take to do. She will need a labtop for sure, plus the webcams we
sent down.

I think we should get the hydroponics up, followed by the cameras, and
then do the arm. I suspect it will require a fair amount of time
trouble shooting and getting to work. Unless Ileana has help and can
tackle both systems at the same time.