Robot Arm

Ileana Argyris

Jun 21, 2013, 6:03:21 PM6/21/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hey Angelo,

The arm itself came in, but there isn't a Conxall Connector for the Master Control in the box. Do you have it with you? There is also no mounting plate. I can fabricate one this weekend.

Thanks,

Ileana

Ileana Argyris

Jun 21, 2013, 6:12:43 PM6/21/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Here's a picture of the Mounting Interface.
DSCF6580.JPG

simon.engler

Jun 21, 2013, 6:20:59 PM6/21/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ileana,

We did not order one, I never thought to order it as we were not
expecting such a giant delay in delivery. Is it possible to get one in
Kona? If not, we can place an order for it.

Same issue for the mounting plate, was planning on figuring out what
to do when the arm arrived...which didn't happen of course. If you
want something ordered, let us know.

Glad to have you working on this system as we would be going nowhere
without your help.

I am planning on creating a 3D model of the system. Are you getting
rid of the Spiral design? Once you have some plans send pictures or
drawings and I can start building on Solidworks.

Angelo, can you change the group settings so it allows responses via email?

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 21, 2013, 6:35:17 PM6/21/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Illeana, for orders or expenses: we can order things for you, or you can go and get it yourself and get reimbursed. Kim has a limited budget for additional costs. Before you acquire something that is costing more than lets say $20, please first confirm with Kim that it's okay.

At this point we're keeping the spiral design. For longer experiments we'll have to change that (but that might only happen during the next HI-SEAS mission).

I'll look into the group settings Simon!

Cheers,
Angelo

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 21, 2013, 6:41:27 PM6/21/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Settings have been updated. Posting through email should be functional now.

Ileana Argyris

Jun 24, 2013, 1:24:32 AM6/24/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo and Simon,

I went downtown to check if I could find the cable and none of the stores I went to had it. The mate for the Master Control Port is 13282-18SG-326 (Invenscience PN i01911). The ARM requires 10A @ 12VDC for operation.

What type of interface are we using to do the PC connection? Please send me diagrams and connectors.

The plate wasn't included so it looks like we'll have to fabricate it ourselves.

Thanks,

Ileana

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Angelo Vermeulen <angeloverme...@gmail.com> wrote:
Settings have been updated. Posting through email should be functional now.

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 24, 2013, 1:40:02 AM6/24/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, Angelo Vermeulen
Hi Ileana, can you look up the cable and 12V transformer in an online shop (Amazon?). You can then provide these links to Kim so she can order it.

What do you mean with 'the plate'? Can you indicate on one of the commercial photos what piece is missing? http://www.robotshop.com/advanced-robotic-manipulator-arm.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=jos

I'll ask Simon about the interface.

Cheers,
Angelo

Aleks Velhner

Jun 24, 2013, 1:49:01 AM6/24/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
IIeana,

here's where you can find the mating connector: http://octopart.com/13282-18sg-326-conxall-229514
Master Electronics would be a good source: 888-473-5297

Aleks

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:24:32 PM UTC-7, argyrisi wrote:
Hi Angelo and Simon,

I went downtown to check if I could find the cable and none of the stores I went to had it. The mate for the Master Control Port is 13282-18SG-326 (Invenscience PN i01911). The ARM requires 10A @ 12VDC for operation.

What type of interface are we using to do the PC connection? Please send me diagrams and connectors.

The plate wasn't included so it looks like we'll have to fabricate it ourselves.

Thanks,

Ileana

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Angelo Vermeulen <angeloverme...@gmail.com> wrote:
Settings have been updated. Posting through email should be functional now.

Ileana Argyris

Jun 24, 2013, 2:03:08 AM6/24/13
to Aleks Velhner, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo,

I reread the description of the arm and it says this "All joints operate in a closed loop mode and a master controller is included with USB connector. " There was nothing else included in the box with the arm. This was also verified by Paul who opened the box. I'll check the arm again for another connection port when I go to the ranch tomorrow.

There's no mounting interface and screws for the robot arm to connect it to the base.

Thanks,
Ileana

Aleks Velhner

Jun 24, 2013, 2:13:26 AM6/24/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Ileana,
the connector itself is a 18-pin with the solder terminals so you would need some #20 wire to attach it to the connector terminals. That one goes to the master controller:

Aleks

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:24:32 PM UTC-7, argyrisi wrote:
Hi Angelo and Simon,

I went downtown to check if I could find the cable and none of the stores I went to had it. The mate for the Master Control Port is 13282-18SG-326 (Invenscience PN i01911). The ARM requires 10A @ 12VDC for operation.

What type of interface are we using to do the PC connection? Please send me diagrams and connectors.

The plate wasn't included so it looks like we'll have to fabricate it ourselves.

Thanks,

Ileana

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Angelo Vermeulen <angeloverme...@gmail.com> wrote:
Settings have been updated. Posting through email should be functional now.

Kim Binsted

Jun 24, 2013, 2:15:46 AM6/24/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm following the discussion on missing parts, but because I'm at arms
length and not 100% familiar with the plans, I will wait for a specific
order list from Angelo before purchasing. Please let me know when the
dust has settled and you know exactly what is required.

Thanks,

Kim.

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 24, 2013, 2:27:38 AM6/24/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ileana,

Well, there seems to be a problem. We'll probably have to contact the supplier again.

To clarify things could you please photograph the entire contents of the robot arm box. Both an overview of all bits and pieces laid out on the floor, and individual components. And please add a list of things that you believe are missing. We'll take it from there then.

Cheers,
Angelo

Ileana Argyris

Jun 24, 2013, 2:31:54 AM6/24/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angelo,

I'll do this first thing tomorrow and send it to you.

Thanks,
Ileana

Simon Engler

Jun 24, 2013, 2:36:32 AM6/24/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if you have this, but here is the user manual and diagram
of the robot arm. Plus a link to the website we ordered off of.

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/advanced-robotic-manipulator-arm.html

The attachments are new and they were not on the website before.
invenscience-arm-2-manual.pdf
mounting-drawing-i00950.pdf

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 24, 2013, 3:24:27 AM6/24/13
Thx!

Ileana Argyris

Jun 25, 2013, 3:40:07 AM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon and Angelo,

Attached is the picture of everything that came in the robot arm's box.

We don't need to worry about the mounting plate because Paul is going to fabricate one for us. We still need the master control cable and power supply.

Thanks,

Ileana
DSCF6614.JPG

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 25, 2013, 4:09:02 AM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ileana,

Thanks for the photo. However, I can't see enough to judge the contents because the arm is all folded. Do you have more photos? Of different sides?

This is urgent and important: can you confirm whether the following two components were in the box yes or no:
- Master Controller
- Mounting Interface

These two components are indicated in the diagram attached here.

Cheers,
Angelo
ARM 2.0 Master Control & Mounting Interface.jpg

Ileana Argyris

Jun 25, 2013, 2:47:27 PM6/25/13
to Angelo Vermeulen, hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com

Hi Angelo,

The master control port and mounting interface are there but there is no wiring harness to connect the arm to a computer or power source.

Thanks,
Ileana

Angelo Vermeulen

Jun 25, 2013, 9:46:16 PM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com, Angelo Vermeulen
ACK Ileana, glad to hear that.

Cheers,
Angelo

Simon Engler

Jun 25, 2013, 9:55:53 PM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
I sent an email to Invenscience to create an invoice for the parts I
listed including shipping costs. He should get back to me tomorrow.

The computer from Walmart can be ordered online and then picked up, or
delivered to the ranch.

Kim Binsted

Jun 25, 2013, 10:14:39 PM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

> The computer from Walmart can be ordered online and then picked up, or
> delivered to the ranch.

What computer is this? Walmart's ship-to-store option doesn't work in
Hawaii, nor does ship to home on most of their products (they usually
don't tell you until you check out, frustratingly).

Kim.

Simon Engler

Jun 25, 2013, 10:41:52 PM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kim,

I had picked out this computer in Hilo Walmart:

Toshiba 15.6" Satellite C855-S5122 Laptop PC with Intel Core i3-3120M
Processor, 6GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive bundle with Case and USB Flash Drive

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-15.6-Satellite-C855-S5122-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i3-3120M-Processor-6GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-bundle-with-Case-and-USB-Flash-Drive/23807361

A labtop with similar or better capabilities might do just as well. I
am trying to avoid Windows 8 as much as possible and stick to Windows
7 or use Ubuntu if the situation allows for it.

Suggestions for alternatives are welcome.

Simon

Kim Binsted

Jun 25, 2013, 10:47:57 PM6/25/13
to hi-seas-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

OK. If the computer I gave Ileana is not up to the job (and it may well
not be, as it is old and crappy), we can pick up something suitable at
Costco or Walmart here. We may need to install Windows 7, as everything
I've seen on the shelves has 8.

Thanks,

Kim.