Casting Flac to Chromecast or Google Speaker

Howard Blayer

Mar 22, 2024, 2:46:36 PMMar 22
to Hi-Fi Cast Help Forum
Some of my flac files fail to cast to Google devices using Hi-Fi Cast.
These same files cast perfectly using VLC.

I thought the files were corrupted but they have been verified using the flac -t  *.flac command, and they are all ok.

Not a major issue as the problem can be resolved easily by re-encoding the files.

I just wondered if this is a known issue?

Hi-Fi Cast Developer

Mar 24, 2024, 4:46:21 PMMar 24
to Hi-Fi Cast Help Forum
The only issue I'm aware of is that Chromecast devices can't play FLAC files that have been prepended with an ID3 tag. I believe the 'flac -t' command ignores the ID3 tag.

Howard Blayer

Mar 25, 2024, 9:02:33 AMMar 25
to Hi-Fi Cast Help Forum
Thanks very much for your response.
I'm using a Linux app called 'Sound Converter' to re-encode the FLAC files that can't be cast.
Comparing a 'bad' with a 'good' (re-encoded) file shows they both contain the same ID3 tag, so it's probably not an ID3 issue.