Charitable Needs

Owen Ambur

Apr 2, 2020, 6:19:43 PM4/2/20
to Farrar, Shea, Chris Kerrigan, hhi...@googlegroups.com, Emmy Rooney, Anne Cyran, Rod Casavant

Chris & Shea, one way that our community could be more connected and collaborative is by enabling charities not merely to share their mission statements but also their needs, i.e., the inputs required to accomplish their objectives.

Donors would feel more confident in supporting them if their performance indicators were reported in an open, standard, machine-readable format like StratML Part 2, Performance Plans and Reports.  Lacking such metrics, every new disaster spawns not only a new set of scams but also many well-intentioned efforts that are poorly coordinated and executed.

Through its Platinum Shield, Candid is encouraging charities to report their performance indicators:  https://learn.guidestar.org/platinum  However, input and output metrics should be shared on the charities' own websites and/or the sites of intermediaries, like the Community Foundation, in an open, standard, machine-readable format.

It would be good if the both Town's comprehensive plan as well as its capital improvements plan were to recognize the recognize the need/opportunity for such metrics.  The mayor and town manager should be able to do more than remind people to consider donating to charities.  They should be able to point to reliable, trustworthy data.

Owen