EventsML for HHI Community Calendar?

Owen Ambur

Nov 12, 2019, 2:46:50 PM11/12/19
to Farrar, Shea, David Lauderdale, Joe Distelheim, hhi...@googlegroups.com, Latia Nelson, Chris Kerrigan

Shea, on the W3C's Credible Web Community Group televideo conference this afternoon, I learned about the International Press Telecommunications Council's (IPTC) EventsML standard:  https://iptc.org/standards/eventsml-g2/

I don't know enough about it yet to say whether it might be appropriate for use in creating and maintaining the type of community calendar proposed in the Connected & Collaborative Community Work Group's plan:  http://connectedcommunity.net/hhi/OPCCWG.xml#_1a00cdbe-fcdf-11e9-bcef-964d68babdf6

However, it would be good if we could engage local news media in collaboratively exploring such prospects.

One thing I do know is that we should use standards and best practices whenever possible and avoid wasting the taxpayers' money reinventing them in proprietary applications.

I also believe our objective currently addressing both "Events & Volunteers" should be broken into two.

Additionally, rather than suggesting there should be a single, centralized source for information about events and volunteers, the objective should be to encourage and support the publication of such information in an open, standard, machine-readable format on the organizations' own websites (or any intermediary sites they choose to use) so that it can easily be indexed and presented for different stakeholder groups in multiple places on the Web, e.g., the website of the Island Packet, CofC, Community Foundation, library, etc.

Owen