Re: Town Council is seeking community input on Town Code Sec. 2-5-70, Appearance by Citizens

Owen Ambur

Jan 7, 2021, 6:10:27 PM1/7/21
to David Ames, Farrar, Shea, Ladd, Taylor, Alex Brown, hhi...@googlegroups.com

David, while I defer to Shea and Taylor on the merit of reconvening the Connected work group, I'll be more than happy to help in any way that I can.

I trust they are already considering how best to proceed on the objectives outlined in our section of the comp plan.

However, if we were to reconvene or perhaps form a new work group focused on this topic, I'd prefer to compile a plan rather than just a white paper.

The one I drafted in follow-up to my meeting with Bill and Tom two years ago is available at https://stratml.us/metaformixis/AG4TCI.pdf

Owen

On 1/7/2021 5:47 PM, David Ames wrote:
Owen, your comments made me wonder whether the connected and collaborative group should convene and send to Council a white paper addressing your subjects. Your thoughts?

David

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 7, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Owen Ambur <Owen....@verizon.net> wrote:

Dear Council Members, as a member of the Connected and Collaborative Community Work Group supporting development of the comprehensive plan, I was surprised and disappointed when we were told we could not share information in a public online discussion forum.  In short, we were denied the opportunity to use such means to support the very purpose of our work group, i.e., to connect, communicate, and collaborate.

From my perspective, it appears that restriction stems from a misinterpretation that turns the intent of the Freedom of Information Act on its head.  While some public officials may wish and it may be appropriate to conduct some information exchanges in private, such purposes should not preclude others from sharing information via online discussion forums that are open for viewing by the public, just as our F2F meetings were.  Public online discussion forums are inherently supportive of the intent FOIA, far more so than meetings per se, since they are self-documenting and anyone can view the public record anytime they choose.

I am using this means to communicate with you because the Town's Open Town Hall does not invite comments on the new Sec. 2-5-16 of the Town Code.  While the new verbiage makes reference to use of electronic means to share audio and video in support of meetings, it does not appear to authorize the use of means of exchanging textual messages either during meetings or otherwise.  Connection, communication, and collaboration should not be needlessly constrained by time and space, e.g, at meetings, physical or virtual.  The pandemic has clearly highlighted that work must go on despite the inability to gather in physical space but neither should it be artificially confined by time.  Nor should it be limited to "appearances" via audio or video communications.

Consistent with the relevant objectives in the comprehensive plan, online means like discussion forums, polling, and other forms of input and feedback should be expressly authorized in the Town Code.  Among those objectives are the following:

Objective C1.1: Tools, Applications & Services - Apply tools, applications and services to facilitate sharing information supporting community connections and collaborative efforts.

Objective C1.1.1: Technology Infrastructure - Plan for technology infrastructure to facilitate best-in-class government services.

Objective C1.1.3: Connectivity, Transparency, Outreach & Involvement - Evaluate the development and use of technology such as online tools, applications, and services to facilitate connectivity, enhance transparency and increase outreach and public involvement.

Objective C1.1.4: Input - Solicit input from stakeholders when testing new tools for communication.

Objective C1.1.6: Communication - Continue the use of multiple forms of communication that are non-digital or technology based.

Objective C1.2: Participation - Ensure optimal opportunities are provided for citizen and stakeholder participation in the planning and policy development process.

BTW, here's an example of a town council online forum which is open for searching/viewing by anyone but to which only authorized users can post:  https://austincouncilforum.org/

I hope this information is helpful.  Please let me know if you have questions, comments, or suggestions.

Owen

Sec. 2-5-16. - Public meetings of boards and commissions that do not have final decision making authority by electronic means.
new

(a)

In addition to times where there is a state of emergency in The Town of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, declared by the Governor of South Carolina, or by The Mayor of The Town of Hilton Head Island, Boards, Committees and Commissions of The Town of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, that do not have any final decision making authority, may conduct regular and special public meetings and public hearings solely and exclusively by means of telephone conference call, broadcast video, internet livestream, or any combination of them, or such other forms of electronic transmission of video and audio as may become available from time to time. A decision to hold any meeting by any such electronic means must be by affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) majority of the membership of the board, committee or commission, to conduct any subsequent meeting or meetings by electronic means. Any such electronic meeting shall be conducted in conformity with standards set out in this Section 2-5-16, and the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act [S. C. Code Ann. § 30-4-10, et seq. (Supp. 2020)].