Inclusive Clubs (with Shared Services?)

Owen Ambur

Sep 16, 2019, 10:06:44 PM9/16/19
to Jennifer Ray, Farrar, Shea, hhi...@googlegroups.com

Jennifer, in addition to the broader suggestion I made at the Inclusive WG meeting this afternoon to provide the necessary online infrastructure to enable self-inclusion in the realization of public objectives, I'd also like to suggest consideration of the following, narrower goal:

Encourage the POAs in the gated communities to consider allowing nonresidents to participate in their community clubs.

Of course, it would be up to the POAs and the clubs themselves to decide whether to do so and, if so, what limitations to apply, i.e., maximum percentages of non-resident members, requirements that the club officers be residents, etc.

However, the intent would be to enable the clubs to become more inclusive as well as more collaborative and potentially more sustainable.

This suggestion is based upon my experience as a member of the board of the HHP Yacht Club, which has struggled to maintain boating members in the aftermath of the hurricanes.  The POA currently prohibits membership even by those who have boats docked at the HHP marina who pay POA fees through the marina and have access to but do not own homes in the plantation.

Shea, since many of the functions required to maintain social clubs are common to all of them, consideration should also be given to enabling those that care to do so to collaborate in sharing the necessary online services on a community-wide basis.  (For example, I persuaded the HHP Yacht Club board to start using Constant Contact for meeting notices, registration, and payments.)

Shared scheduling and notification services would be particularly useful and could automatically support maintenance of a community calendar.

Besides the Inclusive and Connected WGs, such prospective goals are also closely related to the missions of the Recreation and Infrastructure/Technology WGs.

Owen