Fwd: [nbems] My NBEMS-Fldigi Video Series complete!!

Charley Scarborough

Mar 2, 2017, 4:01:06 AM3/2/17
to HHCBro...@googlegroups.com

Great video series on Fldigi.  The link is to the 6th in the series, but you can see how to access the earlier episodes from there.

c.
Mar 2, 2017, 7:37:07 AM3/2/17
to hhcbro...@googlegroups.com

Charley

Watched 2 of the videos. Excellent instructions, but what will this be used for?

Bb

Charley Scarborough

Mar 2, 2017, 1:32:11 PM3/2/17
to hhcbro...@googlegroups.com

Digital modes have about 20 times more get through capability then SSB for starters.  They're kind of act like putting a 2000W linear amplifier on your SSB signal.  And if either you or our net is ever needed for traffic handling, trying to correctly copy messages by hand is very problematic and error prone.  For these reasons ham's long ago began handling most such traffic via digital modes.

Fldigi appears to be the free tool that does it all when it comes to digital radio comm and I've only scratched the surface.  If we truly want HisNet to be a nationwide net and provide traffic handling capability we should make the transition to digital and never look back in my opinion.  But that's not the kinda thing a guy can do on his own.  It has to be a group effort with the group buying into the whole idea and that starts with everyone deciding to give digital a try to see if they're comfortable with the idea.

c.

On 3/2/2017 5:37 AM, Robert Joseph Glaser wrote:

Charley

Watched 2 of the videos. Excellent instructions, but what will this be used for?

Bb

Nitsan-Parach ...

Mar 2, 2017, 5:17:21 PM3/2/17
to hhcbro...@googlegroups.com

Is all this to say that, assuming one has a mic and headphones (if needed) connected to their computer, it's possible for us to communicate without the need to have to have ham radios and antennas? Or is the purchase of at least a radio still needed that then must somehow be connected to the computer having the fldigi software installed?

Looking forward,

Nitsan-Parach KD2GMV
(417) 399-6097 (cell)
My PCM is: Heather Rothwell

"Form a living Network of people like the early Church, early Israel, and Abraham's Altars (in patterns much like the Teutons, the Franks, the Brits, and many Celts which formed small groups of families or Free Assemblies linked together through a network called the Tuns or Tens or sometime Tithings).

The binding agent of that network is the common Doctrines of Jesus implemented by faith, and a Daily ministration of charity and hope through the Perfect law of liberty by way of Ministers who actually do what Christ said.

This can only be done by actually loving one another as
Christ loved us which takes us back to a Daily ministration that provides all the social welfare and emergency services through a broad network of well organized people - like the early Church."

Mar 2, 2017, 5:53:28 PM3/2/17
to hhcbro...@googlegroups.com
I'll try it.

Faith leads to the answer.

Charley Scarborough

Mar 3, 2017, 3:53:04 AM3/3/17
to hhcbro...@googlegroups.com

Mic and headphones are optional with digital radio Nitsan, but a radio and antenna are a must.  You'd also need a cable to connect your computer USB, mic and headphone jacks to the radio.  The Fldigi, Flmsg, Flwrap and Flamp applications installed on your computer allow you to chat, send and receive messages, images and do slow scan TV when properly configured.  I once met a guy RV'ing near Quartsite,AZ with a PACTOR I modem who would call a CA station on 40m to download his email using WinLink as well.  There's also a youtube video out there about using WinLink by the same guys, but I haven't downloaded it yet.  Figured getting an understanding and applying the 6 basic videos might be a big enough hill to climb for the moment.

c.

Nitsan-Parach ...

Sent: Friday, March 3, 2017 3:52 AM

To: hhcbro...@googlegroups.com