hg attic-unshelve takes too long

Panagiotis Astithas

May 31, 2011, 3:38:48 AM5/31/11
to Attic Extension for Mercurial
Hello,

on a MacBook Pro with an i7 I get more than 5' when unshelving a
trivial patch. This is on the firefox repo, which is kinda big, but is
that considered normal? If not, I'd appreciate any clues on how to
debug this.

Thanks,
Panos

Bill Barry

May 31, 2011, 9:23:36 AM5/31/11
to hga...@googlegroups.com
This is due to the merge functionality. Currently attic attempts to
merge a patch into the working copy by doing the following:
1. commit working copy as rev X
2. update to patch parent as identified in patch file
3. apply patch
4. commit as rev Y
5. merge with rev X
6. commit as rev Z
7. diff with rev X-1, save results as patch
8. strip revs X, Y and Z (leaving working copy parent as X-1)
9 apply updated patch to working copy

While I really like the results of this process it is unfortunately very
slow for any nontrivial repository. Because of the slowness we added an
hgrc config option to turn it off:

[attic]
trymerge=False

Note though if you have it off you may need to deal with reject files
sometimes on your patches.

Panagiotis Astithas

Jun 1, 2011, 4:43:53 AM6/1/11
to hga...@googlegroups.com
OK, I guess the safety guarantee can warrant the time cost.

Thanks,
Panos