Gem membership

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 20, 2023, 1:09:03 PM2/20/23
I have a gem membership, mostly because I like to watch Corrie after
the fact, sans commercials. I do also find it good in other ways too.
I use a firestick to view live CBCNN etc and all has been well.
Suddenly it started asking me to 'sign in' which was aggravating. Now
I have arrived at the stage where I have tried, uninstalling the Gem
app and re=installing. Changing my password but still nothing.

It's frustrating emailing them as it takes forever for a response and
if it doesn't fit the crime, then one is back to square one.

Currently I've also changed the password three times without success.

Would you agree that after all this time of smooth viewing, it HAS to
be something at their end? Nothing changed here and this malarkey is
happening to both tvs.

HRM Resident

Feb 20, 2023, 2:00:11 PM2/20/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> Would you agree that after all this time of smooth viewing, it HAS to
> be something at their end? Nothing changed here and this malarkey is
> happening to both tvs.

It sounds like it is on their end. I use CBC Gem to get legacy
stuff, or things I forgot to record . . . I do not have to pay because
I am still with Eastlink.

I don't have any other suggestions except to keep baggering them.

--
HRM Resident

Mike Spencer

Feb 22, 2023, 1:42:15 AM2/22/23

lucr...@florence.it writes:

> I have a gem membership...

What's gem?

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

HRM Resident

Feb 22, 2023, 9:11:16 AM2/22/23
Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> writes:

> What's gem?

The Internet streaming service that allows you to watch CBC.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 22, 2023, 11:57:06 AM2/22/23
I tried to join gem but when I login I get:
!
An unknown error has occurred. (Error #WT-60)

Apparently it's a common error message.

HRM Resident

Feb 22, 2023, 2:23:08 PM2/22/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to join gem but when I login I get:
> !
> An unknown error has occurred. (Error #WT-60)
>
> Apparently it's a common error message.

https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/115003526574-I-m-having-trouble-logging-in-to-Gem-What-should-I-do-Why-can-t-I-log-in-

It appears to be an intermittent erro on their end.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 22, 2023, 2:41:24 PM2/22/23
I'm trying to login with Chrome on a PC. It seems to want
smart phones or smart tvs. Watching tv on a phone is
only for gen-Zers. :)

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 22, 2023, 4:43:51 PM2/22/23
On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:23:05 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I still can't get in, have sent numerous emails, no responses and
unfortunately cancelling the membership hurts me more than them :(

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 22, 2023, 4:44:55 PM2/22/23
I have only tried with my tv, maybe tomorrow I'll have the patience to
try on a tablet or something.

James Warren

Feb 23, 2023, 1:09:45 PM2/23/23
I was able to login today. It is filled with commercials and some
content is unavailable, unless I agree to the trial $4.99/mon membership.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 23, 2023, 1:44:50 PM2/23/23
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:09:44 -0800 (PST), James Warren
Off handedly decided to give it one more try this afternoon and lo and
behold, it worked, so it was a problem at their end. I watched an
episode of Corrie and look, no ads! Did I mention that in the
meantime they reimbursed me one months membership? Fair enough, I had
a week of frustration over it.

James Warren

Feb 23, 2023, 1:58:18 PM2/23/23
When you sign up to the trial do they want a credit card?

Trying TB again to see it it works.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 23, 2023, 4:49:23 PM2/23/23
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 14:58:08 -0400, James Warren
I pay it monthly via paypal, auto payment. $5.74 per month with taxes
included.

HRM Resident

Feb 24, 2023, 12:38:12 PM2/24/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> I pay it monthly via paypal, auto payment. $5.74 per month with taxes
> included.

If you add up all the fees from subscription services, are they
less than getting cable from Eastlink? This will vary greatly from
user to user, but it's something I am considering.

There's also the 'bother' factor of finding all the services to
replace the 'one stop shopping.'

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 24, 2023, 1:33:19 PM2/24/23
I don't have a smart tv. Having many subscriptions as apps on
your tv makes some sense for a snart tv.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 24, 2023, 2:03:27 PM2/24/23
On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 13:38:09 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>lucr...@florence.it writes:
>

>> I pay it monthly via paypal, auto payment. $5.74 per month with taxes
>> included.
>>

> If you add up all the fees from subscription services, are they
>less than getting cable from Eastlink? This will vary greatly from
>user to user, but it's something I am considering.

You can get a cable service for $5.74 a month??????????

> There's also the 'bother' factor of finding all the services to
>replace the 'one stop shopping.'

Oh, I see what you mean. I only have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

HRM Resident

Feb 24, 2023, 2:52:11 PM2/24/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> Oh, I see what you mean. I only have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

That's the thing . . . we tend to 'work' at something all day, and
park in front of the TV from 6-10 PM. There are a number of regular
show we enjoy, and unfortunately Netflix and Prime are not enough. Add
in Paramount+, Gem and whatever else you need to get what we want and
it's questionable if cutting the cable yet is the way to go.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 24, 2023, 3:24:06 PM2/24/23
If you can't get all the major news channels live without cable then
I'm not ready yet to cut the cord.

HRM Resident

Feb 24, 2023, 3:42:46 PM2/24/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> If you can't get all the major news channels live without cable then
> I'm not ready yet to cut the cord.

That's the problem. There's no legal 'one stop shopping' streaming
service. I'm told there are ways to get thousands of channels for next
to nothing if you 'know a guy who knows a guy,' but I don't steal.

Probably the future of TV is some streaming service that provides
the same or similar content as full bore cable, but I am unaware of any.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 24, 2023, 4:21:22 PM2/24/23
Not yet. But I've been predicting for several years that the internet
will provide all our communication, news and entertainment needs
at some point.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 24, 2023, 6:12:11 PM2/24/23
Years ago there was a great app Beast TV. It was around $10 a month
but there was more than I could ever watch. What I did love was BBC,
plus BBC Overseas News. There were programmes from all sorts of
countries, in many languages.

Then the big people squashed it (made the news at the time) and I
always liked them that to the end they were fair, it only went off air
for you on the day you had paid up to!

Donna Whitman

Feb 25, 2023, 12:01:15 PM2/25/23
I have Amazon Prime and Disney+. Considering adding Discovery Plus and dropping cable. All 3 streaming services would cost only about a third of what I'm paying for cable and it gives me a LOT more flexibility in my viewing.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 25, 2023, 1:19:59 PM2/25/23
On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:01:14 -0800 (PST), Donna Whitman
<nsboo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I haven't missed cable, my Scottish side used to get riled every time
they upped the price and now I live in peace :) The other thing I
dropped was Eastlinks internet service, was going to be $89 per month
just for that, or $50 per month with City Wide Communications (which
is Eastlink incognito)