eternal-september

James Warren

Dec 17, 2023, 4:41:41 PM12/17/23
I just tried to use eternal-spetember but there were no newsgoups to
subscrribe to. Am I missing something?

I'm posting this from Thunderbird, if it works. It looks and works quite
different from when I last used it.

lucr...@florence.it

Dec 17, 2023, 5:59:46 PM12/17/23
Looks fine to me!

HRM Resident

Dec 17, 2023, 7:27:33 PM12/17/23
Same here.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Dec 18, 2023, 6:53:27 AM12/18/23
Without authentication, E-S allows you to access their only E-S newsgroups. To access other public newsgrup, you need...
Check the box: "Always request authentication". Also "Refresh".

The trick is described here
https://rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic.narkive.com/4VMcGemC/ot-configuring-thunderbird-for-eternal-september

It seems that E-S keeps postings since May 2020, not older.
You can still access older postings once you download those to your computer.

James Warren

Dec 23, 2023, 11:47:52 AM12/23/23
I got a username and password and was able to see other groups. There
are very few of them and hfx.general is not one of them.

What happened to the many thousands of groups? Are they gone?

HRM Resident

Dec 23, 2023, 12:23:09 PM12/23/23
On 2023-12-23 12:47 p.m., James Warren wrote:

> I got a username and password and was able to see other groups. There
> are  very few of them and hfx.general is not one of them.
>
> What happened to the many thousands of groups? Are they gone?

I think I did a "Reply to" and not a "Follow up", so if
"jwwar...@gmail.com" isn't real or filters my answer out,
you won't get it.

This is with Eternal September and Thunderbird. I can check
later if the massive list still is there. I use a thing called
astraweb with Emacs, and it definitely has thousands of groups.

I use Emacs because it's the only thing left that doesn't
seem to convert everything to UTF-8.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 23, 2023, 12:27:33 PM12/23/23
What is Astraweb? A USENET server?

In E-S I clicked on subscribe and the new groups. Only a handfull
show up.

HRM Resident

Dec 23, 2023, 12:32:27 PM12/23/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> I got a username and password and was able to see other groups. There
> are very few of them and hfx.general is not one of them.
>
> What happened to the many thousands of groups? Are they gone?

It's kind of weird, but they are there. Click in whatever you
called it in TB. This will open a big TB window titled "Account
Settings" on the right. Below this is "Manage Newsgroup Subscriptions."

When you click that you get an empty window. To the right there is
a Refresh button. Click that and you'll get the zillions of groups.
The Refresh is the key . . .

--
HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Dec 23, 2023, 12:41:28 PM12/23/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> What is Astraweb? A USENET server?

Yes:

https://www.astraweb.com/

It is a pay thing . . . one of my kids talked me into giving them
$20 about 15 years ago to be able to download binaries from it (pirated
TV shows and movies, all loaded with viruses.)

I never bothered with the downloads, but I had GBs of credit that
never expired (yet) so I use it here. It's a bit better than ES, but I
only use it because I am pre-paid for life (or until they shut down.)

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Dec 23, 2023, 1:47:12 PM12/23/23
On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:23:05 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I use TBird and there were lists going back to 2011, although I could
see Headers, couldn't see the post, just blank, so I erased them.

axemen99

Dec 28, 2023, 10:23:18 AM12/28/23
With Thunderbird, On the "Server Settings",
make sure that you clicked and checked the box
"Always request authentication when connecting to this server"
Then restart Thunderbird.
It took me a few days to make E-S to work. Then changed from paying
subscribed email (axemen) to GMail (axemen99).
Since you are not authenticated, no list of thousands of groups.

You can always save your password to Thunderbird news browser later.
(replied from Thunderbird, with E-S)

John van Gurp

Feb 20, 2024, 6:35:00 AMFeb 20
I just went through that... it seemed to just be a factor of the the
server collecting or delivering or Thunderbird delivering the list. They
all showed up eventually.

--
Best regards,
John

NSBooklady

Feb 20, 2024, 6:48:08 AMFeb 20
Been there .. done that. When you sign on to Eternal September for the
first time, they will send you a confirmation e-mail with a password.
Until you confirm your membership, all you see are their own NG's. Once
I did that, I hit Subscribe and ALL the NG's showed up.