Zenith

Lucretia Borgia

Jan 12, 2022, 12:08:47 PM1/12/22
That was it, a Zenith radio.

HRM Resident

Jan 12, 2022, 6:41:12 PM1/12/22
Lucretia Borgia <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:
> That was it, a Zenith radio.

This predates me. When I started listening around 1980, Sony was the
receiver to covet. A quick call to my guru, who began in the 1950s, says
Zeniths were popular and worked well. Also, Hallicrafters and Grundig.
Most, or all were tube-based (or valves as the British called tubes.)

This guy has a tube-based SW receiver he got in the early 1970s by a
now-defunct company JRC (Japan Radio Company.) Somehow he keeps it going.

I was pretty happy to listen until I stumbled across these Hams talking
and sending/receiving Morse Code. Not to be confused with the CB “10-4
good buddy” and other trucker stuff. I have a Maritime Compulsorily radio
license that allows me to operate as a RO on commercial ships (like the
Queen Mary) if it were still sailing. That took a week’s studying and a
DOC exam. I never used it. Easy compared to the Ham license. That took
me a year of studying and practicing with a fully qualified Ham looking
over my shoulder, ready to kill the power and smack me if I messed up.

My biggest thrill, when it comes to operating, was using the Ham radio
on the USS Missouri tied up at Ford Island in Pearl Harbor in 2003 and
again in 2006. You just don’t waltz in and use it. I knew a Ham who had
worked at the Pentagon and retired to Hawaii. He pulled some strings for
me. The call sign is KH6BB. That’s the ship that the Japanese signed the
surrender on in Tokyo Bay on 10 September 1945.

I also operated the station on Signal Hill in St John’s (Cabot Tower)
at or near where Marconi received the first trans-Atlantic signals in 1901.
Am I a radio nut? Not today, but I sure was!

Now I use the Internet like you do! :-)

--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

Jan 12, 2022, 7:56:21 PM1/12/22
Lol I knew about the ham radio era = seems to me your address
originally reflected that. The Zenith was my fathers radio and he
would tune in and we would listen. It meant a lot to my mother, she
felt she had some savvy as to what was happening in the UK where her
mother was.

As you mentioned the crackling etc I specifically noticed tonight how
clear BBC4 was and Today in Parliament was oh so lively, hopefully
Boris is on the outs now.

jvangurp

Jan 12, 2022, 8:04:22 PM1/12/22
VERY COOL, Hrm!

HRM Resident

Jan 13, 2022, 11:28:22 AM1/13/22
On 2022-01-12 9:04 p.m., jvangurp wrote:
> VERY COOL, Hrm!

Howdy, J-V-G! Nice to see a post from you. Might we see now you
once or twice a week again? Either way, a familiar poster from the
glory days of hfx.general is a pleasant surprise. I hope all is well
with you and yours.

--
HRM Resident

jvangurp

Jan 14, 2022, 11:19:31 AM1/14/22
All good here my friend… I will create a new post with an update.
Cheers!

Lucretia Borgia

Jan 20, 2022, 1:51:33 PM1/20/22
In article <dfbdc2fb-228e-4867...@googlegroups.com>, jvan...@gmail.com says...

> All good here my friend? I will create a new post with an update.
> Cheers!

Top posting is generally done by clueless assholes. {just saying}

jvangurp

Jan 21, 2022, 6:30:19 PM1/21/22
I'm going to assume you're trying to be funny with that comment.

Cheers!
John

Lucretia Borgia

Jan 21, 2022, 6:33:25 PM1/21/22
I didn't make it, troller from another group, sorry about that, you do
know I wouldn't call you that :)

jvangurp

Jan 21, 2022, 8:46:40 PM1/21/22
ahaha yes of course! I must have it blocked.
Cheers!
JVG