Ping HRM

25 views
Skip to first unread message

lucretia

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 10:36:58 AMAug 7
to
I had told you the other night we had two flashes and two rumbles of
thunder. Last night the subject came up and it was interesting those
who live on the other side of the building to me reported that ongoing
after the second thunder they had a show of lightning such as they had
never seen before! Just thought the weather side of you might be
interested in that lol

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 11:57:29 AMAug 7
to
I'm not a weather expert by any measure. When I was playing with
amateur radio I had towers that could act as lightning rods if they
were not properly grounded. I do have my entire house well grounded
now as a "carry over" from the radio hobby that is long gone.

Lightning can be very area specific. Just a few kilometers one
way or the other can make a huge difference. I put together a weather
station and I share the data on a web page because it's a hobby. Keeps
me somewhat sane!

But I am sacred of lightning. Not of getting hit, but of the damage
it can do to your electrical/electronic equipment. In 1996 I lost a
computer, a dial-up modem, a $2000 radio and a new TV because of one
strike. No idea how it got in. But that's when two 8-foot ground
rods were installed! I have everything tied to those and (fingers
crossed) no damage since. I also have all of my toys on power bars
and when I hear thunder, I unplug them. An ounce of prevention . . .

The "project" James and I discuss on here is just analyzing my 7
years of weather data looking for climate change patterns. 7 years isn't
enough . . . you need 20-30 years of data to see trends. So it's just a
distraction to learn a new programming language. Anything I find from
my data is not considered "real" because of the small amount of data
I have.

--
HRM Resident
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

axemen99

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 12:26:56 PMAug 7
to

lucretia

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 12:41:24 PMAug 7
to
On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 09:26:55 -0700 (PDT), axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I have never done FB and it doesn't let you in if you don't subscribe
:)

lucretia

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 12:43:24 PMAug 7
to
On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 12:57:26 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Don't you use one of those special power bars for computer etc ? I do
and so far, so good.

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 2:24:51 PMAug 7
to
On 2022-08-07 1:43 p.m., lucretia wrote:

>
> Don't you use one of those special power bars for computer etc ? I do
> and so far, so good.

Yes, I do. They all are. They will suppress minor spikes. They
do nothing but provide a false sense of security against lightning.

A typical lightning flash is about 300 million volts and about
30,000 amps. In comparison, household current is 120 volts and 15
amps. There ain't no power bar that will block that amount
of energy.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 3:41:46 PMAug 7
to
On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 12:41:24 PM UTC-4, lucretia wrote:
Shaun configured his video as public, you could view it even if you don't have account.
Any way, I sent you a copy via the email.

lucretia

unread,
Aug 7, 2022, 5:47:47 PMAug 7
to
On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 12:41:45 -0700 (PDT), axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 12:41:24 PM UTC-4, lucretia wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 09:26:55 -0700 (PDT), axemen99 wrote:
>> >On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 10:36:58 AM UTC-4, lucretia wrote:
>> >> I had told you the other night we had two flashes and two rumbles of
>> >> thunder. Last night the subject came up and it was interesting those
>> >> who live on the other side of the building to me reported that ongoing
>> >> after the second thunder they had a show of lightning such as they had
>> >> never seen before! Just thought the weather side of you might be
>> >> interested in that lol
>> >Bedford, NS
>> >Lightnings:
>> >https://www.facebook.com/shaunlowephotographic/videos/1494700737654947/
>> >Storm approaching:
>> >https://www.facebook.com/shaunlowephotographic/videos/1278241499651643/
>> I have never done FB and it doesn't let you in if you don't subscribe
>> :)
>
>Shaun configured his video as public, you could view it even if you don't have account.
>Any way, I sent you a copy via the email.

Received thanks!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages