Frosty

HRM Resident

Nov 6, 2021, 8:46:24 AM11/6/21
First hard frost last night/this morning. Thankfully everything is
harvested except the parsnips which stay in the ground over the winter
anyway. Was -3 C last night.

--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

Nov 6, 2021, 8:59:28 AM11/6/21
I heard the forecaster on CBCNN last night say 'snow in the forecast
for parts of eastern Canada' - I made an earnest wish it not be
Halifax area :( Hoping that as usual he felt Canada ended with
Montreal in the 'east' lol

James Warren

Nov 6, 2021, 1:12:57 PM11/6/21
We have been having frosts for at least a week. Last night
was the coldest and longest though. Got to -3C.

Lucretia Borgia

Nov 6, 2021, 3:12:02 PM11/6/21
Hasn't been above 7 today, so that's bad. Nice and sunny but cold.

Mike Spencer

Nov 6, 2021, 4:33:13 PM11/6/21

HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com> writes:

> First hard frost last night/this morning.

We've had significant frost 3 nights in a row. The first two
noticeabley hit our glorious patch of nasturtiums; last night whacked
them almost completely with just a few survivors deep down inside the
tangle of plants.

We still have some beets and a few carrots & Brussels sprouts to
harvest but pickling beets got under way yesterday.

For a decade, I spent almost all of November in Cambridge, Mass.,
doing blacksmithing seminars/demos. Haven't done that for over 25
years but November still feels like an extra free month at home. With
a huge surplaus of apples this year, I'm still pressing cider, now a
somewhat chilly task in the unheated shop.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Mike Spencer

Nov 6, 2021, 4:48:24 PM11/6/21

Lucretia Borgia <lucreti...@fl.it> writes:

> I heard the forecaster on CBCNN last night say 'snow in the forecast
> for parts of eastern Canada' - I made an earnest wish it not be
> Halifax area :( Hoping that as usual he felt Canada ended with
> Montreal in the 'east' lol

Having grown up in New England, it's always amusing to me that
"eastern Canada" isn't the Maritimes. Not limited to Canadians,
though. I've talked to people from the US mountain states and west
coast who thought they were "back east" when they were in Illinois.
From a New England perspective, everything west of NY state is
"midwest". Northen Illinois gets a gratuitous exemption from the
"fly-over state" category due to the size and importance of Chicago
but even 30 miles from the Loop, it's "midwest" as seen from Boston.

On my first trip to Chicago from New England, as soon as the Greyhound
got well clear of industrial northern Ohio, it was corn, corn, corn,
pigs, corn, pigs, corn, corn, pigs.... all the way to the sprawling
industrial Chicago area.

Lucretia Borgia

Nov 6, 2021, 5:10:46 PM11/6/21
On 06 Nov 2021 17:48:18 -0300, Mike Spencer
It's odd how it happens. Tried very hard to make BBC Overseas stop
only forecasting to Montreal and no further. I pointed out to them
the Maritimes were not just a couple of miles but a piece of land the
same size as the UK.

OTOH - do we really want 'the rest' to pay much attention to us :)