Ping: Mike Spencer

4 views
Skip to first unread message

HRM Resident

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 11:12:47 AM12/3/21
to
Hi Mike,

As you know from private correspondence, I have about half of those
“alien plants” in the ground. I spent a lot of time digging for pictures
to match the one you sent me.

If I were a betting man, I would wager that it’s a Scottish Thistle.
The pictures and descriptions match, anyway. If I have correctly
identified it, then that’s the good news. It’s originally from Scotland,
like LB! :-)

The bad news is that the Scottish Thistle is considered an invasive
species in North America, mainly on the west coast. They claim it’s
choking out a lot of good stuff. I don’t care! I plan on keeping them
trimmed back enough for them not to get out of control. Besides,
theoretically everything (even us) can be considered an invasive species.
No doubt the First Nations bands look at us that way!

Anyway, in the spring, I will put the other half in, as well as the
ball thistles.


--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 12:12:39 PM12/3/21
to
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 16:12:45 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
<hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>
> As you know from private correspondence, I have about half of those
>“alien plants” in the ground. I spent a lot of time digging for pictures
>to match the one you sent me.
>
> If I were a betting man, I would wager that it’s a Scottish Thistle.
>The pictures and descriptions match, anyway. If I have correctly
>identified it, then that’s the good news. It’s originally from Scotland,
>like LB! :-)

Lol don't blame them on me! Odd though, for my 60th birthday my aunt
embroidered a beautiful Scottish thistle because she said it was me
personified :)

HRM Resident

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 2:56:23 PM12/3/21
to
On 2021-12-03 1:12 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 16:12:45 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
> <hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> As you know from private correspondence, I have about half of those
>> “alien plants” in the ground. I spent a lot of time digging for pictures
>> to match the one you sent me.
>>
>> If I were a betting man, I would wager that it’s a Scottish Thistle.
>> The pictures and descriptions match, anyway. If I have correctly
>> identified it, then that’s the good news. It’s originally from Scotland,
>> like LB! :-)
>
> Lol don't blame them on me! Odd though, for my 60th birthday my aunt
> embroidered a beautiful Scottish thistle because she said it was me
> personified :)


Might this make you an invasive species? :-)

>>
>> The bad news is that the Scottish Thistle is considered an invasive
>> species in North America, mainly on the west coast. They claim it’s
>> choking out a lot of good stuff. I don’t care! I plan on keeping them
>> trimmed back enough for them not to get out of control. Besides,
>> theoretically everything (even us) can be considered an invasive species.
>> No doubt the First Nations bands look at us that way!
>>
>> Anyway, in the spring, I will put the other half in, as well as the
>> ball thistles.


--
HRM Resident

Mike Spencer

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 3:12:49 PM12/3/21
to

HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com> writes:

> If I were a betting man, I would wager that it's a Scottish Thistle.
> [....]
> The bad news is that the Scottish Thistle is considered an invasive
> species in North America, mainly on the west coast.

We've made no effort to contain it so the seeds go wherever. Numerous
plants come up in various parts of the garden each year and we till in
or otherwise extirpate all but a few. I've never seen it come up in
unbroken sod or in other uncultivated places.

Tansy and sweet cicely (which we planted on purpose) and Japanese
knotweed and knapweed (which mounted their own invasions) and goutweed
(which we imported accidentally) are all far, far more invasive.


--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

HRM Resident

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 4:13:44 PM12/3/21
to
A fellow I knew in the 1970s used to swear by tansy. He said yea made
from it would cure just about anything. He was uneducated and poor, but he
seemed pretty sharp when it came to carpentry and machine shop type work.
My point? Maybe he was on to something!

What do you use the tansy for?

--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 4:39:15 PM12/3/21
to
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 15:56:21 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 2021-12-03 1:12 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 16:12:45 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
>> <hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> As you know from private correspondence, I have about half of those
>>> “alien plants” in the ground. I spent a lot of time digging for pictures
>>> to match the one you sent me.
>>>
>>> If I were a betting man, I would wager that it’s a Scottish Thistle.
>>> The pictures and descriptions match, anyway. If I have correctly
>>> identified it, then that’s the good news. It’s originally from Scotland,
>>> like LB! :-)
>>
>> Lol don't blame them on me! Odd though, for my 60th birthday my aunt
>> embroidered a beautiful Scottish thistle because she said it was me
>> personified :)
>
>
> Might this make you an invasive species? :-)
No my aunt said 'prickly' lol

Lucretia Borgia

unread,
Dec 3, 2021, 4:40:58 PM12/3/21
to
On 03 Dec 2021 16:12:33 -0400, Mike Spencer
Japanese Knotweed is awful but the advice I was given worked. Don't
dig it up, if you break the roots twice as many regrow. Pour bleach
down the hollow stalks. About once a week does it.

Mike Spencer

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 12:56:00 AM12/4/21
to

Lucretia Borgia <lucreti...@fl.it> writes:

>
> Japanese Knotweed is awful but the advice I was given worked. Don't
> dig it up, if you break the roots twice as many regrow.

Yeah. I've unwittingly propagated it to two new locations by moving
dirt and rubble.


> Pour bleach down the hollow stalks. About once a week does it.

Now there's something. Will that kill the gnarly, woody roots and
keep it from spreading?

Mike Spencer

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 1:00:57 AM12/4/21
to

HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com> writes:

> What do you use the tansy for?

Don't use it for anything except entertainment. Tirns out it's kind
of a nuisane. Lunenburg County rural folklore says that brewed into
"tea" it's an abortifacient.

Lucretia Borgia

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 7:35:50 AM12/4/21
to
On 04 Dec 2021 01:55:44 -0400, Mike Spencer
It sort of wilted and withered away. Oddly enough it happened when I
lived downtown and I was really concerned because it looked like it
was going to start entwining itself around the foundation. It did the
trick though and on balance I didn't feel bleach was as bad as some of
the targeted chemicals in garden herbicides.

HRM Resident

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 9:10:09 AM12/4/21
to
Some people claim bleach will prevent/cure Covid. If it’s that
powerful, Japanese Knotweed wouldn’t stand a chance!

--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 10:08:41 AM12/4/21
to
I heard that but I thought it would taste so terrible, I decided to
get the needle instead :)

James Warren

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 11:32:32 AM12/4/21
to
You are supposed to inject the bleach. :)

Lucretia Borgia

unread,
Dec 4, 2021, 12:06:06 PM12/4/21
to
Sounds more painful than vaccine lol
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages