Age related query

HRM Resident

Jan 16, 2024, 1:01:49 PMJan 16
Will investing in a 20-year bond, stockpiling 25 years worth of
non-perishable food (like dried oatmeal), getting a 30-year-term
second mortgage, etc., make you live longer? Maybe nature wants us to
not die owing money or with a load of good food that is unused. I know,
I'm getting desperate, but it *might* work!

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 16, 2024, 2:53:48 PMJan 16
On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:01:45 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Urrgh, I've lived long enough I'm not interested !

HRM Resident

Jan 16, 2024, 4:20:05 PMJan 16
<lucr...@florence.it> wrote:

> Urrgh, I've lived long enough I'm not interested !

Well, that may be so, but if buying a 20-year GIC would
guarantee you would live to cash it in, would you still not
do it?

When you redeemed it, you would be close to qualifying
for the OAS pension. If I had any spare money laying
around, I would invest it in long term stuff.

--
HRM Resident

Mike Spencer

Jan 16, 2024, 5:21:16 PMJan 16

HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com> writes:

> If I had any spare money laying around, I would invest it in long
> term stuff.

Plant apple trees.

Or:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Now_Foundation
https://longnow.org/

Are you familiar with the notion os "tontine"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine

Works of fiction (see In popular culture below) often feature a
variant model of the tontine in which the capital devolves upon
the last surviving nominee, thereby dissolving the trust and
potentially making the survivor very wealthy. It is unclear
whether this model ever existed in the real world.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 16, 2024, 5:40:10 PMJan 16
On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:20:03 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
<hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

><lucr...@florence.it> wrote:
>>
>> Urrgh, I've lived long enough I'm not interested !
>>
> Well, that may be so, but if buying a 20-year GIC would
>guarantee you would live to cash it in, would you still not
>do it?

Nope best idea is spend lavishly, have a great time!

axemen99

Jan 16, 2024, 11:19:07 PMJan 16
If you buy bonds, you collect interest coupons every month, better than
savings account.

If you get the mortgage, your next-of-kin will have to pay for your
debts if you are gone. They hate you.

No worry, everyone has the length of time to hang around - destiny.

Go ahead and write a bucket list of 100 things to do, such as camping
inside Nova Scotia Kejimkujik in February, Meat Cove in March, you will
live longer.

HRM Resident

Jan 17, 2024, 6:17:05 AMJan 17
Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> Are you familiar with the notion os "tontine"?

I never heard of it until I read the link you provided.
It might work, or have worked, but where a lot of money
is involved, it is open to fraud and corruption. Who knows?
At first glance, my mind went to another form of Ponzi
scheme, but I think it is different than the Bernie Madoff
special!

--
HRM Resident