Why atheists are just as foolish as believers

HRM Resident

Dec 2, 2022, 3:09:49 PM12/2/22
Ask one, "Which argument for a diety do you find strongest, and
why does it fail?" Seems simple, but they never think it through. They
come out with a piss-poor explanation like:

"The world is so complex that many people rely on a god to explain
things like biological complexity, things that science can't currently
explain. But science is increasingly closing all of those gaps of
knowledge, pushing God to the margins."

This is what is known as a "God of the gaps" argument, and it is so
weak an argument that no serious person can rely on it. It's a
version of "I don't know, but science will tell me some day" while
believers can't say, "I don't know, but <pick a god> will tell me some
day." Scientists are hypocrites! :-) They can say they don't know, and
science will explain it, but hate those who say they don't know and
something else will explain it. I pity them! :-)

This is why science fails, and the "I don't know" crew wins.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 2, 2022, 3:28:32 PM12/2/22
Nonsense! Science does say "I don't know". That's why they do
science, to find out.

It is the theists who claim a god who has the burden of proof.
They don't provide any proof. The atheist just says "I don't believe
because there is no evidence". In that situation, the default position
is: there is no god, until proven otherwise.

Is your "I don't know" like I don't know if there is a teacup orbiting
Pluto or like I don't know if the coin I flip will come up heads? There
is a substantial difference.

HRM Resident

Dec 3, 2022, 9:25:03 AM12/3/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> Nonsense! Science does say "I don't know".

Nope. It makes up names. DM/DE is touted as something. It's
nothing. Nonsense. It orbits Pluto. Science is faith that
something (unknown) will explain the unknown. Sounds a hell of a
lot like a priest explaining the holy trinity. "It's a mystery,
son, but someday someone will explain it."

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 3, 2022, 10:18:15 AM12/3/22
DM/DE is something. There is plenty of evidence supporting it.
You refuse to acknowledge the evidence for some reason.

There is no evidence for the holy trinity.

Science does solve, and has solved, many mysteries. Religion ....

I have a hypothesis based on your posts that you are
a closet Catholic, lapsed, but still there. If you don't
go "all the way" ypu can always confess and be forgiven.
The worse case will per a few eons in purgatory before
you get your harp and wings but at least you will avoid
hell. :)

HRM Resident

Dec 3, 2022, 10:46:23 AM12/3/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> DM/DE is something. There is plenty of evidence supporting it.

No there isn't. Just because we can only detect 5% of what we
think might exist doesn't mean there's evidence of what or if the
other 95% (or nothing) is. All it does is make dubious equations
balance.

> I have a hypothesis based on your posts that you are
> a closet Catholic, lapsed, but still there.

That's an interesting "hypothesis." I think you want to see
everyone on the planet profess the same love and hatred you have, that's
my "hypothesis." :-) You can't be agnostic or ambivalent to anything
. . . it's all binary, on or off, love or hate, 1 or 0. Sorry! I don't
hate religions (or anyone) and I'm not going to say so. Nice try! :-)
I don't dislike science . . . it had a great place in our world, but
it's not a god.

I think you are a closet Newfoundlander, that's what I think.
Better to be a closet Catholic than a closet Newfoundlander. They get
drunk and kiss codfish (I've seen them do it at Trapper John's Pub on
George St., St. John's.) :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 3, 2022, 11:59:58 AM12/3/22
On Saturday, 3 December 2022 at 11:46:23 UTC-4, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > DM/DE is something. There is plenty of evidence supporting it.
> No there isn't. Just because we can only detect 5% of what we
> think might exist doesn't mean there's evidence of what or if the
> other 95% (or nothing) is. All it does is make dubious equations
> balance.

Yeah, there is.

How would you do science? You don't like equations or models
because they use derivatives. How can we do it better?

> > I have a hypothesis based on your posts that you are
> > a closet Catholic, lapsed, but still there.
> That's an interesting "hypothesis." I think you want to see
> everyone on the planet profess the same love and hatred you have, that's
> my "hypothesis." :-)

See, now you gaslight again. :)

> You can't be agnostic or ambivalent to anything
> . . . it's all binary, on or off, love or hate, 1 or 0.

Not 1 or 0, more like 0.999999999 to 0.000000001.
Close enough for practical purposes. :)

> Sorry! I don't
> hate religions (or anyone) and I'm not going to say so. Nice try! :-)

Of course you won't. You're a closet Catholic. You believe in souls,
spirits and ghosts (holy of course). Why would you give up a faint
chance of salvation? :)

> I don't dislike science . . . it had a great place in our world, but
> it's not a god.

It had a great place? It is over now? :)

> I think you are a closet Newfoundlander, that's what I think.
> Better to be a closet Catholic than a closet Newfoundlander. They get
> drunk and kiss codfish (I've seen them do it at Trapper John's Pub on
> George St., St. John's.) :-)

And proud of it too. :)

> --
> HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Dec 3, 2022, 1:30:37 PM12/3/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> How would you do science? You don't like equations or models
> because they use derivatives. How can we do it better?

I don't "like quations or models because they use derivatives."
Where did you dream that gem up? I wasn't serious about the cannabis
oil. You don't need anything more!

As close as I came to anything like that were (1) A dull math
teacher plus a duller physics teacher put me off calculus and boring
force equations by trying to explain "taking moments around a bridge
abutment." And (2) I advised (and still advise) people not to make
predictions based on derivatives, because derivatives are the rate of
change, and it will not keep changing at the rate it is now. My example
was going from 0 to 100 kph in seconds. If you used that example, you'd
be going the speed of light in short order.

How does that add up to ""like quations or models because they use
derivatives?"

> See, now you gaslight again. :)

It's new word day! Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew.
Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew.
Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew.
Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. :-)

> Of course you won't. You're a closet Catholic. You believe in souls,
> spirits and ghosts (holy of course). Why would you give up a faint
> chance of salvation? :)

No, I won't. I also won't mock or make fun of any organized
religion UNLESS they keep trying to ram it down my throat. You, on the
other hand, have no trouble in expressing the most vile negative
emotions unimaginable against an Christian religion. I asked you to mock
or point out something negative about Islam, for example, and I got back
"I don't know anything about them." Which suggests you have a hatred
for Christians. One wonders what a Christian might have done to you to
instill such hate and intolerance.

Did it have anything to do with the hot poker you were on about a
day or two ago? :-)

> And proud of it too. :)

You are proud of kissing something that smells like a codfish that
you picked up in a bar in St. John's? OK . . . but it's not for me! :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 3, 2022, 2:39:36 PM12/3/22
On Saturday, 3 December 2022 at 14:30:37 UTC-4, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > How would you do science? You don't like equations or models
> > because they use derivatives. How can we do it better?
> >
> I don't "like quations or models because they use derivatives."
> Where did you dream that gem up? I wasn't serious about the cannabis
> oil. You don't need anything more!
>
> As close as I came to anything like that were (1) A dull math
> teacher plus a duller physics teacher put me off calculus and boring
> force equations by trying to explain "taking moments around a bridge
> abutment." And (2) I advised (and still advise) people not to make
> predictions based on derivatives, because derivatives are the rate of
> change, and it will not keep changing at the rate it is now. My example
> was going from 0 to 100 kph in seconds. If you used that example, you'd
> be going the speed of light in short order.

That is a silly argument against derivatives.

You have already said you are no good at math and hate physics.
It's really hard to give you any credence when you dismiss new
ideas like DM/DE without saying why other than some silly nonsense
about making equations work. You are clueless.

> How does that add up to ""like quations or models because they use
> derivatives?"
> >
> > See, now you gaslight again. :)
> >
> It's new word day! Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew.
> Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew.
> Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew.
> Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. Eschew. :-)

You do gaslight, no matter how much you dislike the word. :)

> > Of course you won't. You're a closet Catholic. You believe in souls,
> > spirits and ghosts (holy of course). Why would you give up a faint
> > chance of salvation? :)
> >
> No, I won't. I also won't mock or make fun of any organized
> religion UNLESS they keep trying to ram it down my throat. You, on the
> other hand, have no trouble in expressing the most vile negative
> emotions unimaginable against an Christian religion.

Well, I think that is an overstatement. I say religion is silly and false.

> I asked you to mock
> or point out something negative about Islam, for example, and I got back
> "I don't know anything about them."

Which is true.

> Which suggests you have a hatred
> for Christians. One wonders what a Christian might have done to you to
> instill such hate and intolerance.

I have neither hate nor intolerance. I just think it is silly and false.
You are defensive on religion because you have not given it up.
You are still a Catholic. Say 20 hail marys and pray for forgiveness.
It's not too late to rejoin the flock. :)

> Did it have anything to do with the hot poker you were on about a
> day or two ago? :-)
> >
> > And proud of it too. :)
> >
> You are proud of kissing something that smells like a codfish that
> you picked up in a bar in St. John's? OK . . . but it's not for me! :-)

Indeed I am. :)

> --
> HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Dec 3, 2022, 3:02:41 PM12/3/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> That is a silly argument against derivatives.

Why? If a car keeps accelerating at the rate it goes from 0-100 kph
for a year, how fast will if be going?

> You have already said you are no good at math and hate physics.
> It's really hard to give you any credence when you dismiss new
> ideas like DM/DE without saying why other than some silly nonsense
> about making equations work. You are clueless.

No, I said I wasn't great at math and I didn't understand physics
well. "Not being great <> no good" and "don't understand well <>
hate."

> You do gaslight, no matter how much you dislike the word. :)

I don't dislike any words. I have noted you accuse me of
"gaslighting" every second post, so I looked it up. It's trendy. Like
saying "grovey" and "far out" were in 1967.

On the oddball chance it's working as it's described, I'm quite
pleased! Delighted! Over the moon!

> Well, I think that is an overstatement. I say religion is silly and false.

Islam will get you if you draw a picture of Mohamed. Draw a stick
man here with ASCII and write "Mohamed" under it. I double dare
you! :-)

Or go to Delhi and order a triple beef whopper! Maybe bacon and eggs
in Tel Aviv? Don't be anti-Christian. Be anti-religion! Practice
what you preach.

> Which is true.

See above.

> Say 20 hail marys and pray for forgiveness.
> It's not too late to rejoin the flock. :)

Doesn't work. I tried it a year ago and you are still here!

> Indeed I am. :)

There is something fishy going on! :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 3, 2022, 3:28:45 PM12/3/22
On Saturday, 3 December 2022 at 16:02:41 UTC-4, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > That is a silly argument against derivatives.
> >
> Why? If a car keeps accelerating at the rate it goes from 0-100 kph
> for a year, how fast will if be going?

The "if" part can be answered but the result is no realistic for
a real car in a relativistic universe. Your model of a car is wrong
but the math is ok.

> > You have already said you are no good at math and hate physics.
> > It's really hard to give you any credence when you dismiss new
> > ideas like DM/DE without saying why other than some silly nonsense
> > about making equations work. You are clueless.
> >
> No, I said I wasn't great at math and I didn't understand physics
> well. "Not being great <> no good" and "don't understand well <>
> hate."

You told Mike you hate physics.

> > You do gaslight, no matter how much you dislike the word. :)
> >
> I don't dislike any words. I have noted you accuse me of
> "gaslighting" every second post, so I looked it up. It's trendy. Like
> saying "grovey" and "far out" were in 1967.

It may be trendy. It is also true. :)

> On the oddball chance it's working as it's described, I'm quite
> pleased! Delighted! Over the moon!
> >
> > Well, I think that is an overstatement. I say religion is silly and false.
> >
> Islam will get you if you draw a picture of Mohamed. Draw a stick
> man here with ASCII and write "Mohamed" under it. I double dare
> you! :-)

Yet it is still silly and false. The possible consequences don't change
that.

> Or go to Delhi and order a triple beef whopper! Maybe bacon and eggs
> in Tel Aviv? Don't be anti-Christian. Be anti-religion! Practice
> what you preach.

Oh, I am anti-religion. I have said so many times.

> > Which is true.
> >

> See above.
> > Say 20 hail marys and pray for forgiveness.
> > It's not too late to rejoin the flock. :)
> >
> Doesn't work. I tried it a year ago and you are still here!

You prayed for the wrong thing! What you need is forgiveness. :)

> > Indeed I am. :)
> >

> There is something fishy going on! :-)

Always, always. :)

> --
> HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Dec 4, 2022, 9:08:42 AM12/4/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> You told Mike you hate physics.

No, I did not. I said I was not good at it. I don't use the word
"hate" regarding people or things. I only say or type in when quoting
others. It's not an emotion I have.

> It may be trendy. It is also true. :)

Then why do you keep gaslighting me? We argree that it's trendy,
and we agree we both nuts, so why keep doing it? :-)

> Yet it is still silly and false. The possible consequences don't change
> that.

What a hypocryite. As the old saying goes, "Talk is cheap, but it
takes money to buy rum." Stop hinting and post your stick man with
his name underneath. It's a free country. :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 4, 2022, 10:03:57 AM12/4/22
On Sunday, 4 December 2022 at 10:08:42 UTC-4, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > You told Mike you hate physics.
> >
> No, I did not. I said I was not good at it. I don't use the word
> "hate" regarding people or things. I only say or type in when quoting
> others. It's not an emotion I have.

Oh yeah, you said hate. Anyway, if you're no good at it why do you
feel competent to dismiss new ideas without evidence or argument?
Are you privileged in some way?

> > It may be trendy. It is also true. :)
> >
> Then why do you keep gaslighting me? We argree that it's trendy,
> and we agree we both nuts, so why keep doing it? :-)

Now you're trying to reverse the facts. You're a slippery fucker. :)

> > Yet it is still silly and false. The possible consequences don't change
> > that.
> >
> What a hypocryite. As the old saying goes, "Talk is cheap, but it
> takes money to buy rum." Stop hinting and post your stick man with
> his name underneath. It's a free country. :-)

That won't change the fact that it is silly and false. :)

> --
> HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Dec 4, 2022, 1:34:15 PM12/4/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> That won't change the fact that it is silly and false. :)

The fact you won't post it strongly suggests you are a devote Muslim
or a big, fat chicken. :-) Or both . . . :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 4, 2022, 2:24:10 PM12/4/22
Just a big fat chicken, not both. :)

HRM Resident

Dec 4, 2022, 2:38:10 PM12/4/22
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> Just a big fat chicken, not both. :)

So, in your view, not all religions are created equal? You make fun
of all of them except Islam. I guess you either fear Muslims or you are
one. Either way, it's OK. :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Dec 4, 2022, 2:43:44 PM12/4/22
Oh, they are all equally silly. Some are more likely to kill me
than others. :)