Fix'n Chinese junk

HRM Resident

Feb 6, 2024, 2:57:16 PMFeb 6
Spent the afternoon fixing DW's chair. It came from China (via
Leon's Furniture) about 2008-2009. I think the life expectancy is around
3-4 years. Every year or two after ~2014, something went "twang" or
"Sproing! Flap-flap-flap-flap...flap...flap." I managed to weld or
braze the offending part back onto mystery metal . . . and a year or
two later another strap or brace did the same thing.

A week or so ago, the chair went "Crack! Thud" and dropped about 2-3
inches. It wouldn't rock or rotate. It was the main support pipe of
thin mystery metal about 1.5 inches in diameter.

I couldn't weld it directly back because of plastic stuff in the way,
so I filled the "pipe" with 4-5 pieces of 1/4 inch steel rod and flux core
welded either end. Now that will never break again . . . but no doubt
there is another part ready to snap. We ought to get a new one, but
there is this stubbornness in both of us that wants to make it last 20
years. If it makes it to 2028 (and we do) that's when we'll buy a new
one.

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 8, 2024, 8:19:12 AMFeb 8
On Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:57:12 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I've never been to Leons, likely because Nothin' Fancy is in Bayers
Lake and more handy and has relatively nice stuff and prices.

BTW the new hospital behind Bayers Lake is partially open now, does
blood work, xrays etc. actual hospital with beds and surgery not
finished yet. Two people in my building have been there for blood
work and say it is very slick and smooth. Another went for physio
after his knee was replaced and he was well pleased with that
department too. Mentioning because it might be easier for all you
out-of-towners than trekking downtown.

HRM Resident

Feb 8, 2024, 9:11:15 AMFeb 8
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> I've never been to Leons.
They are low end stuff, one notch above used furnature. You haven't
missed anything.

> Mentioning because it might be easier for all you out-of-towners than
> trekking downtown.
The last time I was downtown (pre-Covid) to the VG/Infirmary area,
parking was bad . . . the basement of the Infirmary/Abbie Lane was the
"best." I'm told the parking lot that used to be beside the Centennial
Building of the VG is now reserved for staff, so it's drive around for
literally an hour in hopes of finding a place on the few streets left
with parking. One fellow I know took a bus to around there and
stayed overnight in a hotel because he knew there's be no parking.

I have been to the Cobiquid and Dartmouth General since then and
they are far better. It's good to know there is a new option in Bayer's
Lake. The University Avenue area is not a good place to go if you need
to park.

All of this is because we keep bring more and more rich boomers
from Upper Canada and out West to retire in Nova Scotia - nice idea,
but there is no infrastructure to support the rapid growth. "Sell your
$3M house in Calgary and buy one in Halifax for half that." They don't
mention you gotta get on the need-a-doctor list, there is no parking,
not enough trades-people to fix anything, highways can't handle the extra
traffic, etc.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Feb 11, 2024, 8:54:28 AMFeb 11
On 2/8/2024 8:19 AM, lucr...@florence.it wrote:
> I've never been to Leons, likely because Nothin' Fancy is in Bayers
> Lake and more handy and has relatively nice stuff and prices.
>
> BTW the new hospital behind Bayers Lake is partially open now, does
> blood work, xrays etc. actual hospital with beds and surgery not
> finished yet. Two people in my building have been there for blood
> work and say it is very slick and smooth. Another went for physio
> after his knee was replaced and he was well pleased with that
> department too. Mentioning because it might be easier for all you
> out-of-towners than trekking downtown.

Do you know anything about Avoch, Scotland ?
https://her.highland.gov.uk/Monument/MHG21711

My wife's great great grandmother (18xx-1914) came from Avoch, a few
days ago.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 11, 2024, 9:00:59 AMFeb 11
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 08:54:24 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:
That I know of, I never went there although I have in later years
driven over most of Scotland. My daughter and grandson were there last
year and intend to go again they liked it so much but it pays to go
just before or after the tourist season as it gets flooded with Euros.

Did you find the info about her great great great grandmother via all
the files they have opened online? My cousin and I researched a lot
prior to that and it was tedious :(

axemen99

Feb 11, 2024, 9:28:07 AMFeb 11
She looked it up using the online local newspaper searches:
"She was a member of Trinity Congregational Church, joining in 1878 by
letter from the Congregational church at Avoch, Scotland"

http://avochcongregationalchurch.co.uk/about
http://avochcongregationalchurch.co.uk/contact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWqjvuK1v4w

axemen99

Feb 11, 2024, 3:43:12 PMFeb 11
On 2/11/2024 9:00 AM, lucr...@florence.it wrote:
> That I know of, I never went there although I have in later years
> driven over most of Scotland. My daughter and grandson were there last
> year and intend to go again they liked it so much but it pays to go
> just before or after the tourist season as it gets flooded with Euros.
>
> Did you find the info about her great great great grandmother via all
> the files they have opened online? My cousin and I researched a lot
> prior to that and it was tedious 🙁

Do you have the online genealogy link?

In the newspaper:
Mrs. Ann, Widow of John Patience, who has had charge of the ladies
waiting room at the store of W. G. Brown & Company for a number of
years, passed away at the Addison Gilbert Hospital Thursday afternoon,
being unable to rally from a surgical operation, at the age of 67 years.

Mrs. Patience was a native of Scotland, her parents being William and
Patience Jack, but came to this country with her husband nearly 40 years
ago, where she has since made her home. Her husband was lost at sea in
1892.
***

The church may be related to you?

Avoch Congregational Church was built in 1819, when a site was obtained
from Sir Alexander Mackenzie. Previous landlords, in the words of the
first minister, were “so bigoted that they would not give an inch to
build a chapel upon”. That first minister was the Rev. Alexander Dewar,
who came as a young man in 1806 and remained until his death in 1849.
The first congregation (totalling about 400) of this church was made up
of people who broke away from the Church of Scotland, objecting to
patronage - https://avoch.org/churches/congregational-church

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 11, 2024, 5:54:42 PMFeb 11
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 15:43:07 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 2/11/2024 9:00 AM, lucr...@florence.it wrote:
>> That I know of, I never went there although I have in later years
>> driven over most of Scotland. My daughter and grandson were there last
>> year and intend to go again they liked it so much but it pays to go
>> just before or after the tourist season as it gets flooded with Euros.
>>
>> Did you find the info about her great great great grandmother via all
>> the files they have opened online? My cousin and I researched a lot
>> prior to that and it was tedious ?
>
>Do you have the online genealogy link?
>
>In the newspaper:
>Mrs. Ann, Widow of John Patience, who has had charge of the ladies
>waiting room at the store of W. G. Brown & Company for a number of
>years, passed away at the Addison Gilbert Hospital Thursday afternoon,
>being unable to rally from a surgical operation, at the age of 67 years.
>
>Mrs. Patience was a native of Scotland, her parents being William and
>Patience Jack, but came to this country with her husband nearly 40 years
>ago, where she has since made her home. Her husband was lost at sea in
>1892.
>***
>
>The church may be related to you?
>
>Avoch Congregational Church was built in 1819, when a site was obtained
>from Sir Alexander Mackenzie. Previous landlords, in the words of the
>first minister, were “so bigoted that they would not give an inch to
>build a chapel upon”. That first minister was the Rev. Alexander Dewar,
>who came as a young man in 1806 and remained until his death in 1849.
>The first congregation (totalling about 400) of this church was made up
>of people who broke away from the Church of Scotland, objecting to
>patronage - https://avoch.org/churches/congregational-church

Interesting, but I don't think so. I am more familiar with my
grandfather who lived in Perth and joined the army to die in France a
day before WWI ended. I will ask though and get back to you on it.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 21, 2024, 11:35:19 AMFeb 21
wrote:

>Avoch Congregational Church was built in 1819, when a site was obtained
>from Sir Alexander Mackenzie. Previous landlords, in the words of the
>first minister, were “so bigoted that they would not give an inch to
>build a chapel upon”. That first minister was the Rev. Alexander Dewar,
>who came as a young man in 1806 and remained until his death in 1849.
>The first congregation (totalling about 400) of this church was made up
>of people who broke away from the Church of Scotland, objecting to
>patronage - https://avoch.org/churches/congregational-church

My cousin just got back to me Axe and no, he definitely was not