Good day to stay inside

HRM Resident

Jan 6, 2024, 7:56:19 AMJan 6
Looks like it is going to be cold. About -10 C and breezy.
And snow tomorrow afternoon/evening. Winter is here!

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Jan 6, 2024, 9:54:52 AMJan 6
On 1/6/2024 7:56 AM, HRM Resident wrote:
> Looks like it is going to be cold. About -10 C and breezy.
> And snow tomorrow afternoon/evening. Winter is here!

Halifax Forum will open as a temporary 50-bed shelter from Sunday to
Monday. It is the same snow that buried the States in California,
moving East across the country.

OMG In Cape Breton, snow began falling Friday already...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/snow-frigid-temperatures-weekend-1.7075364

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 6, 2024, 1:19:53 PMJan 6
On Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:56:16 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
<hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like it is going to be cold. About -10 C and breezy.
>And snow tomorrow afternoon/evening. Winter is here!

Here in Halifax it's a beautiful sunny day, but very cold, can't have
everything in January!

HRM Resident

Jan 7, 2024, 6:37:57 AMJan 7
It looks like the majority of the snow and wind will miss
HRM, but that could change a bit. The closer you are to
Yarmouth, the more you likely will get (Mike, for example.)

Either way, it doesn’t *appear* to be a major storm. I
guess we will know tomorrow by noon. :-)

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 7, 2024, 9:43:40 AMJan 7
On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 11:37:55 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
<hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

><lucr...@florence.it> wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:56:16 -0000 (UTC), HRM Resident
>> <hrm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like it is going to be cold. About -10 C and breezy.
>>> And snow tomorrow afternoon/evening. Winter is here!
>>
>> Here in Halifax it's a beautiful sunny day, but very cold, can't have
>> everything in January!
>>
> It looks like the majority of the snow and wind will miss
>HRM, but that could change a bit. The closer you are to
>Yarmouth, the more you likely will get (Mike, for example.)
>
> Either way, it doesn’t *appear* to be a major storm. I
>guess we will know tomorrow by noon. :-)

It's nearly 11 a.m. in Halifax and lovely sunshine! Do you think we
have escaped?

HRM Resident

Jan 7, 2024, 1:50:38 PMJan 7
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> It's nearly 11 a.m. in Halifax and lovely sunshine! Do you think we
> have escaped?
I think so, although it'ss not supposed to start around Halifax
until after supper. Either way, just a small amount for us. I think the
South Shore will get a significant amount, but isn't not the major winter
storm it looked like it might have been a day or two ago.

While it's too early to tell for sure, there's potentential trouble
brewing for Wednesday. Looks like a mess of snow, with rain on top of
it to get it all slushy, followed by a deep freeze. We got a few like
that in Jan/Feb of previous years. Power outages + ice and frozen snow
the day after . . . or it might blow out to sea.

--
HRM Resident

Mike Spencer

Jan 7, 2024, 2:49:52 PMJan 7

HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com> writes:

> It looks like the majority of the snow and wind will miss
> HRM, but that could change a bit. The closer you are to
> Yarmouth, the more you likely will get (Mike, for example.)

A few flakes have appeared in the air in the last 20 minutes.
Forecast for overnight is up to 8" but so far just ornamental flakes.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

HRM Resident

Jan 8, 2024, 8:02:36 AMJan 8
Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> A few flakes have appeared in the air in the last
> 20 minutes. Forecast for overnight is up to 8" but so
> far just ornamental flakes.

Maybe 1/8 inch or snow here in total. Essentially
nothing. But as I previously mentioned, watch out for the
one Wednesday. It has the potential to cause a lot of
problems because of high winds and snow/rain mixing
to freeze into power outage causing ice.

It might be all rain, and if so, a good thing!

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 8, 2024, 8:45:05 AMJan 8
I am never lucky! My docs appt is Wed morning and she's just moved to
out by the Cobequid Hospital, yuck.

HRM Resident

Jan 8, 2024, 4:15:36 PMJan 8
<lucr...@florence.it> wrote:
> I am never lucky! My docs appt is Wed morning
> and she's just moved to out by the Cobequid
> Hospital, yuck.

You might beat it. I think Wednesday afternoon and
evening will be the worst. A lot of rain and high winds
are the best bet.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Jan 9, 2024, 4:39:49 PMJan 9
Yes, bad weather stays in Boston area till Wednesday 1 pm EST, or 2 pm
hfx time.

***

Storm Warning - From Tue 5 pm until Wed 1 pm EST
Issued By - Boston - MA, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
In Massachusetts coastal waters, Coastal waters east of Ipswich Bay and
the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, Massachusetts Bay and
Ipswich Bay, Coastal waters from Provincetown MA to Chatham MA to
Nantucket MA out 20 nm and Coastal Waters extending out to 25 nm South
of Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket. In Rhode Island coastal waters,
Coastal Waters from Montauk NY to Marthas Vineyard extending out to 20
nm South of Block Island
Description
...STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

WHAT...Southeast winds 30 to 40 kt with gusts up to 60 kt and seas 15 to
20 feet expected.

WHERE...In Massachusetts coastal waters, Coastal waters east of Ipswich
Bay and the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, Massachusetts Bay
and Ipswich Bay, Coastal waters from Provincetown MA to Chatham MA to
Nantucket MA out 20 nm and Coastal Waters extending out to 25 nm South
of Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket. In Rhode Island coastal waters,
Coastal Waters from Montauk NY to Marthas Vineyard extending out to 20
nm South of Block Island.

WHEN...Until 1 PM EST Wednesday.

IMPACTS...Very strong winds will cause hazardous seas which could
capsize or damage vessels and reduce visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Mariners should remain in port, alter course, and/or secure the vessel
for severe conditions.
***

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 9, 2024, 8:25:19 PMJan 9
On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:39:46 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I hope you're right Axe, be very convenient for me if you keep it til
later Wednesday :)

HRM Resident

Jan 10, 2024, 7:06:46 AMJan 10
<lucr...@florence.it> wrote:

> I hope you're right Axe, be very convenient for me if
> you keep it til later Wednesday :)

It is too late. We are doomed. It is snowing already.
Then rain and hurricane winds. Force 12 on the Beaufort
Scale! Houses, buildings, cars, etc., will all blow away. No
power for weeks.

It has been nice to know you all!

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Jan 10, 2024, 8:00:12 AMJan 10
Yes! OMG. The rain and wind have left Boston several hours earlier
than expected. Only my garbage barrel covers were blown away, a peach
tree tilted. STAY HOME if possible.

check the weather radar below from this link -

https://weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/95740c63fa2b8c029791bdba8d4944757baaa9ddbede23426a1eccd51a4dda0d

Rainfall Warning - From Wed 4 am AST
Issued By Meteorological Service of Canada, CA,
Affected Area - Halifax Metro and Halifax County West
Description
Rainfall, combined with melting snow, is expected. The frozen ground has
a reduced ability to absorb this rainfall.

Total rainfall: 20 to 40 mm.

Location: most of Nova Scotia.

Time span: today and this evening.

Remarks: Heavy rainfall, strong winds, and mild temperatures will lead
to significant to near total melting of the existing snow pack. The
combination of run-off and rainfall will increase the risk of localized
flooding in poor drainage areas.

###

Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.
Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible.

Rainfall warnings are issued when significant rainfall is expected.

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 10, 2024, 8:08:54 AMJan 10
Now you're being a pessimist! However I did just cancel my appt and
got another for the 23rd so here's hoping for more luck then!

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 10, 2024, 8:12:16 AMJan 10
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:00:07 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I went outside on the balcony to take down my solar lights and decided
it was no time to be on the highway out to Lower Sackville with a high
wind and in a little Mazda 2. Only time I have ever considered an SUV
might be good :)

HRM Resident

Jan 10, 2024, 9:39:48 AMJan 10
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> Now you're being a pessimist! However I did just cancel my appt and
> got another for the 23rd so here's hoping for more luck then!
Good idea, but likely there will be no power restoration by the
23rd. This is a monster storm, and likely one for the record books. I
heard the Provincial Cabinet are hiding in a bunker in Debert, the Feds
are sending in the military to keep order and prevent looting, and that
the Power Corporation executives flew out by private jet last night to
hide somewhere in the USA.

James hasn't posted anything today, so that's strong evidence his
house has already blown down and he might have been blown back to
Newfoundland. There is always a silver lining! :-) :-)

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 10, 2024, 2:33:40 PMJan 10
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:39:43 -0400, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I think you're on a flight of fancy lol

HRM Resident

Jan 10, 2024, 3:11:30 PMJan 10
<lucr...@florence.it> wrote:

> I think you're on a flight of fancy lol

This is precisely as I had previously articulated several
days ago (my mother told me that it is rude to say I told
you so.)

Actually it was overstated by EC and all of the other
prognosticators. There are only about 4000 households
in the province without power. Thankfully it warmed up
and we do not have to worry about snow removal this
time. It still is a good day to stay indoors.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Jan 10, 2024, 9:16:00 PMJan 10
Outages peaked just under 8000; about 2500 now, about 10pm.

axemen99

Jan 13, 2024, 11:10:19 AMJan 13
Stay home again this Saturday afternoon, bad weather is coming again...

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/95740c63fa2b8c029791bdba8d4944757baaa9ddbede23426a1eccd51a4dda0d

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 13, 2024, 4:42:23 PMJan 13
On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:10:16 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:
It's here now screaming round the building :( Supposed to be okay
tomorrow which is good as I am supposed to have dinner over at my
grandsons and I love sitting in his man cave with the log stove :)