Snow

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 3, 2024, 4:19:15 PMFeb 3
Is this enough snow for you? However I do love living in my condo
today, heard them clearing snow off the fire exit steps twice today.
I've been here 21 years or so and I really think I have forgotten how
to shovel snow etc. :)

Mike Spencer

Feb 3, 2024, 5:15:57 PMFeb 3
Forecast: Some snow, some rain, alternating over the weekend.

Observed: A foot of snow

New forecast: More snow but waffling on amount; wind

I haven't forgotten how to shovel snow nor become unable to do it but
I'm slacking off, doing only as much as necessary.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

axemen99

Feb 3, 2024, 7:47:45 PMFeb 3
Snow will last till Monday.

My snow plow guys did not show up this year. I was sad. Luckily, I
bought this Cordless Single-Stage Snow Blower to help
https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-24v-x2-sb22-48-volt-max-ion-brushless-cordless-single-stage-snow-blower-kit-w-8-0-ah-xr8-high-performance-batteries-and-dual-port-charger-22-inch-1200-watt

I managed to clean up the long driveway.

Friday, around 6 am, Feb 2, 2024, there were 2-4 B-1B Bombers refueled
by the KC-135 planes flying over Central Nova Scotia. They flew from
Oklahoma area to drop many bombs over Iraq and Syria. 11 hours each way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWCOY8T6SI

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 3, 2024, 8:27:41 PMFeb 3
On 03 Feb 2024 18:15:53 -0400, Mike Spencer
I can understand that!

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 3, 2024, 8:30:09 PMFeb 3
On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:47:38 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 2/3/2024 5:15 PM, Mike Spencer wrote:
>> lucr...@florence.it writes:
>>
>>> Is this enough snow for you? However I do love living in my condo
>>> today, heard them clearing snow off the fire exit steps twice today.
>>> I've been here 21 years or so and I really think I have forgotten how
>>> to shovel snow etc. :)
>>
>> Forecast: Some snow, some rain, alternating over the weekend.
>>
>> Observed: A foot of snow
>>
>> New forecast: More snow but waffling on amount; wind
>>
>> I haven't forgotten how to shovel snow nor become unable to do it but
>> I'm slacking off, doing only as much as necessary.
>>

>Snow will last till Monday.
>
>My snow plow guys did not show up this year. I was sad. Luckily, I
>bought this Cordless Single-Stage Snow Blower to help
>https://snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-24v-x2-sb22-48-volt-max-ion-brushless-cordless-single-stage-snow-blower-kit-w-8-0-ah-xr8-high-performance-batteries-and-dual-port-charger-22-inch-1200-watt
>
>I managed to clean up the long driveway.

The last snow blower I had was a Honda, I loved it, back in the early
80s.

>Friday, around 6 am, Feb 2, 2024, there were 2-4 B-1B Bombers refueled
>by the KC-135 planes flying over Central Nova Scotia. They flew from
>Oklahoma area to drop many bombs over Iraq and Syria. 11 hours each way.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWCOY8T6SI

Sheesh I thought the new style warfare just used drones :(

HRM Resident

Feb 4, 2024, 5:21:54 AMFeb 4
Mike Spencer <m...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

> I haven't forgotten how to shovel snow nor become
> unable to do it but I'm slacking off, doing only as much
> as necessary.

Same here. If it would stop blowing, that would be a big
help. I got ploughed out last night, but a lot drifted back.
I also did not move the car back as far as possible so the
plough guy could not get 25% of the driveway. Recent
winters with not much snow made me complacent. This
is a normal NS winter storm.

The big problem now is literally 4-5 foot high drifts in
the yard blocking access to the car and sheds. In theory,
I could get rid of a lot of it today, but it’ll blow back in
an hour. Looks like Monday is cleanup day.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Feb 4, 2024, 9:01:17 AMFeb 4
On 2/3/2024 8:30 PM, lucr...@florence.it wrote:
> The last snow blower I had was a Honda, I loved it, back in the early
> 80s.
>> Friday, around 6 am, Feb 2, 2024, there were 2-4 B-1B Bombers refueled
>> by the KC-135 planes flying over Central Nova Scotia. They flew from
>> Oklahoma area to drop many bombs over Iraq and Syria. 11 hours each way.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWCOY8T6SI
>>
> Sheesh I thought the new style warfare just used drones 🙁

Older gas snow blowers need maintenance every year, not easy to fix the
gas clogging. Battery based snow blower is easier to use.

China supplies parts with US technology to Iran, Iran makes drones from
Chinese parts, then Iran ships drones to Yemen, drones are hidden in the
mountains, not easy to find. Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen use
drones to attack commercial ships, mostly from Asia to Europe. Current
Yemen Houthi war is indirectly supported by Iran and China. Sad.

US and UK sent the bombers, with support from Canada.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 4, 2024, 9:17:34 AMFeb 4
On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:01:13 -0500, axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 2/3/2024 8:30 PM, lucr...@florence.it wrote:
>> The last snow blower I had was a Honda, I loved it, back in the early
>> 80s.
>>> Friday, around 6 am, Feb 2, 2024, there were 2-4 B-1B Bombers refueled
>>> by the KC-135 planes flying over Central Nova Scotia. They flew from
>>> Oklahoma area to drop many bombs over Iraq and Syria. 11 hours each way.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWCOY8T6SI
>>>
>> Sheesh I thought the new style warfare just used drones ?
>
>Older gas snow blowers need maintenance every year, not easy to fix the
>gas clogging. Battery based snow blower is easier to use.
>
>China supplies parts with US technology to Iran, Iran makes drones from
>Chinese parts, then Iran ships drones to Yemen, drones are hidden in the
>mountains, not easy to find. Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen use
>drones to attack commercial ships, mostly from Asia to Europe. Current
>Yemen Houthi war is indirectly supported by Iran and China. Sad.
>
>US and UK sent the bombers, with support from Canada.

Every day now the news get worse as conflict widens. Why on earth
won't someone eliminate Netanyahu? He's a nasty crook to begin with
and now I think he is enjoying every bit of blasting Gaza to pieces. I
saw some pics yesterday of a beautiful, centuries old mosque in ruins
:(

James Warren

Feb 4, 2024, 11:06:52 AMFeb 4
50 cm, so far, out our way.

HRM Resident

Feb 4, 2024, 3:37:44 PMFeb 4
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 50 cm, so far, out our way.

I couldn’t stand it. I was three hours clearing it ALL
away. Now it is half blown back in. Do I qualify for the
stupidest person in Nova Scotia award?

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 4, 2024, 5:04:47 PMFeb 4
Yes, but not for this reason. :)

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 4, 2024, 5:36:10 PMFeb 4
Maybe the most worn out??

axemen99

Feb 4, 2024, 7:58:52 PMFeb 4
When I lived in Wolfville, someone explained to me:

Snow came down 3", you cleaned it,
then 1" was blown back, and 2" more came down.
So you had to clean 3" the second time.

Now, if you did not cleaned the 3", and 2" more came down.
You have to clean 5" once, it may be too strenuous for old fart like me.

HRM Resident

Feb 4, 2024, 8:33:58 PMFeb 4
axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I lived in Wolfville, someone explained to me:
>
> Snow came down 3", you cleaned it,
> then 1" was blown back, and 2" more came down.
> So you had to clean 3" the second time.
>
> Now, if you did not cleaned the 3", and 2" more
> came down. You have to clean 5" once, it may be too
> strenuous for old fart like me.

That was my thinking. There is only half as much as
there was this morning. What has blown back in is dusty
and lighter. I think the wind will be much lighter tomorrow.

All of this suggests I did the heavy lifting today to make
the final cleanup tomorrow easier. That assumes I can
walk tomorrow! Everything hurts. Even my hair. :-)

I am still a contender for the stupidest person in Nova
Scotia, but I probably am not the leading candidate now.
:-)

--
HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Feb 5, 2024, 2:16:27 PMFeb 5
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> Maybe the most worn out??
Pretty much! Using Axemen99's math, today should have been easier.
It wasn't. Less drifted in, but because of the milder temperature it
was damp and heavier. I suspect the total of both days would have been
worse, but either way, it took an extra hour today to get rid of it.

So, this nice storm cost me 7 hours in total with a shovel AND a
snow blower. I have too much to move, I guess. Mike has the right
idea. Just do what's necessary and leave the rest for nature. The
forecast says milder temperatures, so it ought to melt and settle quite
a bit in the next few days.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Feb 5, 2024, 2:50:50 PMFeb 5
Over 80 cm so far; plowed once; still waiting for a second plow. I'vw
seen worse, but not in many years.

HRM Resident

Feb 5, 2024, 3:03:24 PMFeb 5
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Over 80 cm so far; plowed once; still waiting for a
> second plow. I've seen worse, but not in many years.

It has been a while. Somewhere between 2014-2016
I had to get a snow removal company, and he had to go
home and get his backhoe to do it. The big truck and
plough could not budge it. I don’t think we have had
as much since.

I don’t know how you measure 80 cm (31.5 inches
or 2.6 feet), but I think that is close. I had drifts 4-5 feet
high and spots where it was bare. I bet 2.5 feet is damn
close to being right.

--
HRM Resident

axemen99

Feb 5, 2024, 7:01:11 PMFeb 5
> Over 80 cm so far; plowed once; still waiting for a second plow. I've
> seen worse, but not in many years.

Quite like the Blizzard of '78 that I remember.
From FB, 150.4 cm in Sydney. Very heavy wet snow today.

At Albert Bridge, Cape Breton, snow covers Farm Shed (3 adult height).

Cold air from NS moves to Boston overnight, Tuesday.

Mike Spencer

Feb 6, 2024, 3:30:56 AMFeb 6

James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> Over 80 cm so far; plowed once; still waiting for a second plow. I'vw
> seen worse, but not in many years.

About 20" total, +/-, ploughed twice because the 2nd installment was
just enough to make the lane impassable to our small car. And because
the misleading forecast caused me to leave the car in a place that
interfered with the ploughing.

Shoveled around the car, cellar door, main shop door and woodshed.
Rest left to wait-and-see.

Got a propane heater installled this year so that we're not 100%
dependent on an octogenarian keeping the wood fire/supply in order.

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 6, 2024, 7:13:40 AMFeb 6
On 06 Feb 2024 04:30:53 -0400, Mike Spencer
There is something lovely about a wood fire of any sort, a Jotul was
all we had by way of heat years ago at the cottage, but most of the
time I'm happy with the regular heating here, the cat loves to sit on
the rads too.

NSBooklady

Feb 19, 2024, 11:09:46 PMFeb 19
I hear ya'. I've been here almost 9 years and have underground parking.
Now, when it snows, I make myself a hot chocolate and stand in the
window watching the plows. They've certainly been earning their keep
this winter. Not sure how I managed with White Juan,