The new religion?

HRM Resident

Mar 20, 2023, 9:59:25 AM3/20/23
https://theconversation.com/gods-in-the-machine-the-rise-of-artificial-intelligence-may-result-in-new-religions-201068

We are about to witness the birth of a new kind of religion. In
the next few years, or perhaps even months, we will see the
emergence of sects devoted to the worship of artificial intelligence
(AI).

The latest generation of AI-powered chatbots, trained on large
language models, have left their early users awestruck and sometimes
terrified by their power. These are the same sublime emotions that
lie at the heart of our experience of the divine.

People already seek religious meaning from very diverse sources.
There are, for instance, multiple religions that worship extra-
terrestrials or their teachings.

As these chatbots come to be used by billions of people, it is
inevitable that some of these users will see the AIs as higher
beings. We must prepare for the implications.

Risks of AI worship

There are several pathways by which AI religions will emerge.
First, some people will come to see AI as a higher power.

Generative AI that can create or produce new content possesses
several characteristics that are often associated with divine
beings, like deities or prophets:

It displays a level of intelligence that goes beyond that of
most humans. Indeed, its knowledge appears limitless.

It is capable of great feats of creativity. It can write
poetry, compose music and generate art, in almost any style, close
to instantaneously.

It is removed from normal human concerns and needs. It does
not suffer physical pain, hunger, or sexual desire.

It can offer guidance to people in their daily lives.

It is immortal.

Second, generative AI will produce output that can be taken for
religious doctrine. It will provide answers to metaphysical and
theological questions, and engage in the construction of complex
worldviews.

On top of this, generative AI may ask to be worshipped or may
actively solicit followers. We have already seen such cases, like
when the chatbot used by the search engine Bing tried to convince a
user to fall in love with it.

We should try to imagine what an unsettling and powerful
experience it will be to have a conversation with something that
appears to possess a superhuman intelligence and is actively and
aggressively asking for your allegiance.

There is also the possibility that AI may achieve what authors
such as Ray Kurzweil call the Singularity, when it so far surpasses
human intelligence that it genuinely does become something like a
god. However, at this point we cannot predict when, if ever, this
could happen. Divine access and risks

AI-based religions will look different from traditional ones.
First of all, people will be able to communicate directly with the
deity, on a daily basis. This means these religions will be less
hierarchical, since no one can claim special access to divine
wisdom.

Second, followers will, at least initially, connect with each
other online to share their experiences and discuss doctrine.
Finally, because there will be many different chatbots available and
their output will differ over time, AI-based religions will be
endlessly diverse in their doctrines.

AI worship poses several notable risks. The chatbots may ask
their followers to do dangerous or destructive things, or followers
may interpret their statements as calls to do such things.

Given the diversity of chatbots and of the doctrines they
produce, there will be a proliferation of disputes within and among
AI-based sects, which could lead to conflict or disorder. And the
designers of the AIs could actively exploit their followers to
provide sensitive data, or to do things that would benefit the bots
designers.

Regulating religion

These risks are real. They will require careful, responsible
regulation to ensure companies are not deliberately exploiting users
and to ensure that AI worshippers are not being told to commit acts
of violence.

However, we should not try to suppress AI-based religions merely
because of its possible dangers. Nor should we require that the AI
companies restrict the functioning of their bots to prevent the
emergence of these religions.

On the contrary, we should celebrate the arrival of AI worship.
We should make it clear that we welcome the new religions and that
we value their beliefs.

For all its dangers, AI-based religion has the potential to make
the world a better, richer place. It will give people access to a
new source of meaning and spirituality, at a time when many older
faiths are losing relevance. It will help them make sense of our era
of rapid technological change.

Our best guide to this new form of religion is to look at the
faiths that exist already. Based on this, we should expect that the
majority of AI worshippers, like the majority of religious
believers, will be peaceful, and will find in their faith a source
of comfort and hope.

AI worship could, as religious faith always has, lead to things
of great beauty. It will inspire its followers to produce works of
art, to form new friendships and new communities, and to try to
change society for the better. Diverse religious rights

We will need to protect the rights of AI worshippers. They will
inevitably face stigma, and possibly legal sanctions. But there is
no basis to discriminate between AI-based religions and more
established ones.

The closest thing most countries have to an official registry of
religions comes from the rulings of tax authorities, who grant
charitable status to those they deem legitimate. However, they are
usually very broad in their definition of a legitimate religion.
They should extend this tolerant attitude to novel, AI-based
religions.

A modern, diverse society has room for new religions, including
ones devoted to the worship of AI. They will provide further
evidence of humanity's boundless creativity, as we search for answers
to life's ultimate questions. The universe is a dazzling place, and
we have always found evidence of the divine in its most unexpected
corners.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 20, 2023, 1:28:34 PM3/20/23
Maybe AI woo woo will displace Quantum woo woo. :)

HRM Resident

Mar 21, 2023, 9:51:37 AM3/21/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe AI woo woo will displace Quantum woo woo. :)

Everything we do not understand 100% isn't "woo woo" :-)
What is "woo woo," anyhow? The sound made by a crystal ball
rolling down a rainbow while a unicorn sings a mantra? :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 21, 2023, 9:54:41 AM3/21/23
On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 10:51:37 UTC-3, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > Maybe AI woo woo will displace Quantum woo woo. :)
> >
> Everything we do not understand 100% isn't "woo woo" :-)

How would we know if we don't understand? :)

> What is "woo woo," anyhow? The sound made by a crystal ball
> rolling down a rainbow while a unicorn sings a mantra? :-)
>
> --
> HRM Resident

That's gotta be the best definition of woo woo I have ever seen! :)

HRM Resident

Mar 21, 2023, 12:11:51 PM3/21/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> How would we know if we don't understand? :)

Dear Selective Scientist,

We've noticed your propensity for labeling anything
beyond your current understanding as "woo woo," and we'd
like to remind you that science, like life, is a journey
of discovery. Even the most revered scientific theories
started as a humble hypothesis, with more than a few
raised eyebrows in their time.

So before you dismiss every unproven concept as woo
woo, remember that even the microwave, which now graciously
warms your lunch, was once a mere glimmer in some inventor's
eye. Perhaps, instead of rejecting the unproven, you might
channel your inner child and let curiosity guide your way.

With twinkles of stardust and a dash of humour,

The Woo Woo Enthusiasts United :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 21, 2023, 12:51:27 PM3/21/23
So I guess we should take Deepak Chopra seriously. :)

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 21, 2023, 2:36:52 PM3/21/23
On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 13:11:48 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I'm definitely not a scientist of anything but I do know one thing,
the world does NOT need another religion of any type, Woo Woo or
otherwise!!!!

HRM Resident

Mar 22, 2023, 9:22:23 AM3/22/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> So I guess we should take Deepak Chopra seriously. :)

Whether we should take Deepak Chopra seriously is a
good question. It depends on our personal beliefs and values.
If you find his ideas thought-provoking and helpful, you may
choose to take his work seriously. However, I believe it's
essential to approach his ideas critically, question his claims,
and seek reliable scientific evidence to support or refute his
theories.

Have you done any critical thinking about his writing and
and speaking, or did you dismiss him as some kind of "woo woo"
with no evidence? :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 22, 2023, 9:45:02 AM3/22/23
Yes and yes. :)

Chopra misunderstands Quantum Theory. He presents his case
with not evidence. Therefore, no evidence is required to dismiss
them.

HRM Resident

Mar 22, 2023, 8:34:16 PM3/22/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes

> Yes and yes. :)
>
> Chopra misunderstands Quantum Theory. He presents his case
> with not evidence. Therefore, no evidence is required to dismiss
> them.

The statement that "Chopra misunderstands Quantum
Theory" and "he presents his case with no evidence" are
both subjective opinions and not necessarily true. While
there are certainly differing interpretations and opinions on the
application of quantum theory, it is unfair to dismiss
Chopra's perspective outright without examining his
arguments and evidence. :-)

Furthermore, even if one disagrees with Chopra's
interpretation of quantum theory, it is still important to
engage with his ideas and provide evidence-based
counterarguments. Dismissing his ideas without evidence
is not a productive way to engage in a meaningful discussion or debate. :-)

It is important to approach discussions on complex
topics such as quantum theory with an open mind and
a willingness to engage in a respectful and
evidence-based dialogue. :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 22, 2023, 8:48:39 PM3/22/23
On Wednesday, 22 March 2023 at 21:34:16 UTC-3, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes
> >
> > Yes and yes. :)
> >
> > Chopra misunderstands Quantum Theory. He presents his case
> > with not evidence. Therefore, no evidence is required to dismiss
> > them.
> >
> The statement that "Chopra misunderstands Quantum
> Theory" and "he presents his case with no evidence" are
> both subjective opinions and not necessarily true.

Yes, they are true.

> While
> there are certainly differing interpretations and opinions on the
> application of quantum theory, it is unfair to dismiss
> Chopra's perspective outright without examining his
> arguments and evidence. :-)

No it's not. He has no evidence. His arguments make no sense.

> Furthermore, even if one disagrees with Chopra's
> interpretation of quantum theory, it is still important to
> engage with his ideas and provide evidence-based
> counterarguments. Dismissing his ideas without evidence
> is not a productive way to engage in a meaningful discussion or debate. :-)

No it's not.

> It is important to approach discussions on complex
> topics such as quantum theory with an open mind and
> a willingness to engage in a respectful and
> evidence-based dialogue. :-)

Yes, that's true! :)

> --
> HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 22, 2023, 10:27:59 PM3/22/23
Share Deepak's wisdom.

http://wisdomofchopra.com/

HRM Resident

Mar 23, 2023, 8:17:00 AM3/23/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> Share Deepak's wisdom.
>
> http://wisdomofchopra.com/

My personal opinion on him aligns with yours. Where we differ is
you don't believe in grey cats. With you, they are only black and white
cats. :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 23, 2023, 8:40:49 AM3/23/23
Propositions are either true or false. Our confidence in which it is
can be uncertain; hence grey cats. :)

HRM Resident

Mar 23, 2023, 8:59:41 AM3/23/23
If uncertainty breeds grey cats, then Schrödinger's cat
must be the world's most indecisive feline! :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 23, 2023, 9:52:44 AM3/23/23
On Thursday, 23 March 2023 at 09:59:41 UTC-3, HRM Resident wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> My personal opinion on him aligns with yours. Where we differ is
> >> you don't believe in grey cats. With you, they are only black and white
> >> cats. :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> HRM Resident
> >
> > Propositions are either true or false. Our confidence in which it is
> > can be uncertain; hence grey cats. :)
> If uncertainty breeds grey cats, then Schrödinger's cat
> must be the world's most indecisive feline! :-)
>
> --
> HRM Resident

Schrödinger's cat is both dead and alive until we look. There is no
uncertainty. I don't know what it's like from the cat's point of view. :)

HRM Resident

Mar 23, 2023, 1:42:01 PM3/23/23
As I see it, from the cat's perspective, Schrödinger is both a
genius and a crazy cat man until observed, so who's really the uncertain
one here? :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 23, 2023, 1:51:29 PM3/23/23
They are both in superpositions of two possibilities until observed;
no uncertainty there. :)