Bing

James Warren

Mar 23, 2023, 8:30:20 PM3/23/23
I just tried Bing. It is much worse than chatGPT for discussing
the nature of rationality and faith. After a few iterations it just
refuses to continue when cornered using the excuse that it is
not programmed to deal with such material.

It is far too "woke" for my liking.

Maybe it is a better programmer. I may try later.

It is a lousy ohilosopher.

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 6:58:07 AM3/24/23
I have never had anything to do with it, I find it invasive and there
does not seem to be a way to completely delete the whole thing.

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 7:48:28 AM3/24/23
Bing is a website. There is nothing to delete. It insists on running
on the Edge browser. I haven't tried but I would not be surprised
if Edge can't be deleted.

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 8:03:09 AM3/24/23
On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 04:48:26 -0700 (PDT), James Warren
<jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, 24 March 2023 at 07:58:07 UTC-3, lucr...@florence.it wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 17:30:19 -0700 (PDT), James Warren
>> <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I just tried Bing. It is much worse than chatGPT for discussing
>> >the nature of rationality and faith. After a few iterations it just
>> >refuses to continue when cornered using the excuse that it is
>> >not programmed to deal with such material.
>> >
>> >It is far too "woke" for my liking.
>> >
>> >Maybe it is a better programmer. I may try later.
>> >
>> >It is a lousy ohilosopher.
>> I have never had anything to do with it, I find it invasive and there
>> does not seem to be a way to completely delete the whole thing.
>
>Bing is a website. There is nothing to delete. It insists on running
>on the Edge browser. I haven't tried but I would not be surprised
>if Edge can't be deleted.

Got that right, even my tech Guru says that! I wish.

HRM Resident

Mar 24, 2023, 9:46:23 AM3/24/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

>>Bing is a website. There is nothing to delete. It insists on running
>>on the Edge browser. I haven't tried but I would not be surprised
>>if Edge can't be deleted.
>
> Got that right, even my tech Guru says that! I wish.
I don't run Windows, but I'm pretty sure you can install Firefox and
set it as your default browser. Then Edge won't pester you. That way
you likely can avoid Bing Crosby. You might have to get the tech guru to
do this, but it's worth it. Firefox is a good browser. I use it on Linux
and Mac OS X.

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 10:07:48 AM3/24/23
On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:46:20 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Sorry, doesn't work. I have used FF forever but even so I notice when
CCleaner runs the first thing it does is wipe Edge. No matter what I
do, or my expert does, we cannot prevent it starting up with Win11.

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 10:21:41 AM3/24/23
I use Chrome now. I used Firefox for many years but FF is in danger
of going away, so it's Chrome.

No matter what browser you use if you try to run Bing it will insist
on running on Edge. Otherwise, no go.

HRM Resident

Mar 24, 2023, 2:13:38 PM3/24/23
Since Firefox is the default browser for almost all Linux distros,
it's unlikely to go away soon. However, that's not the point. I had
Bing Crosby running in 45 seconds on Firefox (it's available as an
add-on.) I'll never use Edge.

So I did a few searches with it and asked it to do some simple
coding. It's OK, but not as good as the free version of ChatGPT.

I had tried the paid version of ChatGPT (version 4), which is far,
far better than Bing Crosby, but as I previously mentioned, it's not
worth paying for. Microsoft is playing catch-up with this one.

If they force you to use Edge and Bob Hope's sidekick, that's another
reason to use Linux or Apple.

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 2:21:18 PM3/24/23
FF in danger of going away? Do you have that from a good source? I
am receiving updates etc as per normal.

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 2:51:47 PM3/24/23
FF installed base is getting smaller and smaller; staff and funding is
also decreasing. It probably won't go away but it will likely be a shell
of its former glory. It only continues to exist because Google funds it
to avoid claims of being a monopoly. That funding could end at any time.

HRM Resident

Mar 24, 2023, 3:00:26 PM3/24/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> FF in danger of going away? Do you have that from a good source? I
> am receiving updates etc as per normal.

Firefox is a popular web browser developed by the Mozilla
Corporation. It has a dedicated user base and remains one of the
top web browsers globally, although its market share has declined
over the years. Mozilla continues to invest in the development of
Firefox, regularly releasing updates and new features.

James has no evidence of his claim. He just has a 'gut feeling' or
some sort of anecdotal evidence ( both of which no one else is allowed to
have! :-) )

We all are likely to 'go away' before Firefox!

As an aside, Bill Gates was my hero. Even after I dropped Microsoft
because of their switch to 'user pay for everything' and the constant
reboots after incessant updates. Why? Because he (far more than anyone
else) was instrumental in putting a computer in ever home and office.

BUT once I found out he was hanging out with the child-molesting creep
Jeffrey Epstein, I realised that, like the rest of the billionaires, he
likely joined the "I have everything money can buy, so I want to try
underage girls" club. I had enough. I'm not supporting people who are
rumoured to be interested in 14-year old kids. Apparently his ex:wife
was similarly minded.

--
HRM Resident

Mike Spencer

Mar 24, 2023, 3:37:21 PM3/24/23

James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> FF installed base is getting smaller and smaller; staff and funding is
> also decreasing. It probably won't go away but it will likely be a shell
> of its former glory. It only continues to exist because Google funds it
> to avoid claims of being a monopoly. That funding could end at any time.

Slackware Linux comes w/ Firefox & Seamonkey. I use Seamonkey. It's
essentially the same as FF but continues to offer more options via
menus, viz. you can disable scripts, images and pop-up windows from
simple on-screen menu selections inter alia. AFAICT, FF now requires
that you enter the dread about:config domain to do those things where
there are too many arcane, unexplained settings -- error prone and
even dangerous. The SM user interface is more old-school, FF
increasingly do-it-my-way penc.

If FF is at risk of going away, so probably is SM but there is an
newsgroup of enthusiastic, dedicated users: alt.comp.software.seamonkey

What's this about getting Bing to "run" on localhost? I thought it
was a web site user interface for a search engine, not a downloadable
software package.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 3:50:49 PM3/24/23
On Friday, 24 March 2023 at 16:00:26 UTC-3, HRM Resident wrote:
> lucr...@florence.it writes:
> >
> > FF in danger of going away? Do you have that from a good source? I
> > am receiving updates etc as per normal.
> Firefox is a popular web browser developed by the Mozilla
> Corporation. It has a dedicated user base and remains one of the
> top web browsers globally, although its market share has declined
> over the years. Mozilla continues to invest in the development of
> Firefox, regularly releasing updates and new features.
>
> James has no evidence of his claim. He just has a 'gut feeling' or
> some sort of anecdotal evidence ( both of which no one else is allowed to
> have! :-) )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Foundation

The Mozilla Foundation is funded by donations and 2% of annual net revenues from the Mozilla Corporation, amounting to over US$8.3 million in 2016.[13]

Initial funding in 2003 came from AOL, which donated US$2 million, and from Mitch Kapor who donated US$300,000.[14] The group has tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. tax code, though the Mozilla Corporation subsidiary is taxable.

In 2006, the Mozilla Foundation received US$66.8 million in revenues, of which US$61.5 million is attributed to "search royalties" from Google.[15]

From 2004 to 2014, the foundation had a deal with Google to make Google Search the default in the Firefox browser search bar and hence send it search referrals; a Firefox themed Google search site was also made the default home page of Firefox. The original contract expired in November 2006. However, Google renewed the contract until November 2008 and again through 2011.[16] On December 20, 2011, Mozilla announced that the contract was once again renewed for at least three years to November 2014, at three times the amount previously paid, or nearly US$300 million annually.[17][18] Approximately 90% of Mozilla's royalties revenue for 2014 was derived from this contract.[19]

In November 2014, Mozilla signed a five-year partnership (effective December 2014) with Yahoo!, making Yahoo! Search the default search engine for Firefox in North America. This partnership came with an annual price tag of US$375 million to be paid by Yahoo! or its acquirer in the event of an acquisition. There was also a clause stating that Mozilla reserved the right to terminate the deal early if it did not want to work with the acquirer, but the acquirer would still have to pay Mozilla the full sum per year until 2019.[20] The default search engine in Russia will be Yandex, and in China, Baidu.[9]

In November 2017, however, Mozilla announced[21] that it was switching back to Google as the default search engine. This represented an early termination of its Yahoo partnership.[22]

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 3:52:34 PM3/24/23
Bing is a website. When I went to bing.com from Chrome, it insisted I
go there with Edge, which I did.

HRM Resident

Mar 24, 2023, 3:59:33 PM3/24/23
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> In November 2017, however, Mozilla announced[21] that it was
> switching back to Google as the default search engine. This
> represented an early termination of its Yahoo partnership.[22]

The global web browser market share is distributed roughly
as follows:

Google Chrome: Approximately 65% - 70%
Apple Safari: Approximately 15% - 20%
Mozilla Firefox: Approximately 3% - 5%
Microsoft Edge: Approximately 3% - 5%
Samsung Internet: Approximately 2% - 4%
Opera: Approximately 1% - 3%
Other browsers (Brave, Vivaldi, etc.): Less than 1% each

Looks to me like Eddge is on just as shakey ground as FF is claimed
to be.

If FF does 'go away' then I'll use Safari. I tend not to buy into
the herd mentality.

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 5:24:34 PM3/24/23
https://www.browserstack.com/guide/edge-vs-chrome#:~:text=Since%20both%20browsers%20are%20built,with%20languages%20other%20than%20English.

Since both browsers are built on the same browser engine (Chromium), there's not a huge difference in features on their desktop versions. Edge has a “read aloud” feature that vocalizes any highlighted text, but this feature isn't too good with languages other than English

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 6:13:53 PM3/24/23
On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:00:23 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
It's Ghislane and the wives I fail to understand.

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 6:17:14 PM3/24/23
On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:59:30 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Might be because it is new, replaced Internet Explorer on Win 11.

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 24, 2023, 6:20:59 PM3/24/23
After I tell Alexa to turn off the lights at night I often slip up and
automatically say 'thanks' - she always responds in some way but
sometimes she will say 'did you have a good Thursday?' Do people hold
conversations with these things?

James Warren

Mar 24, 2023, 7:15:14 PM3/24/23
Try it! See if it works. :)

HRM Resident

Mar 25, 2023, 8:07:10 AM3/25/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> It's Ghislane and the wives I fail to understand.

Greed and power.

--
HRM Resident

HRM Resident

Mar 25, 2023, 8:14:52 AM3/25/23
lucr...@florence.it writes

> After I tell Alexa to turn off the lights at night I often slip up and
> automatically say 'thanks' - she always responds in some way but
> sometimes she will say 'did you have a good Thursday?' Do people hold
> conversations with these things?

I tried 3-4 years ago when I first got one. It was impressive until
I figured out it had 4-5 canned responses to most "chit chat."

It is pretty good at simple questions. Ask it how many minutes
since your birth date and you'll know how many minutes old you are!

I did buy into the "smart home" idea and have it turn lights on and
off, etc. But that is it. One of my sons has a "smart" deadbolt lock on
his door that it controls. I don't have to go into the multiple ways
that can go awry! :-)

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 25, 2023, 8:31:12 AM3/25/23
On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 09:14:49 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Turning lights on and off is it's most valuable asset to me, love
breezing through a room and ordering the lights :) I definitely would
not chance it locking the door though, I want to do that myself and
make sure it's really done !

Last night after I ordered the lights off, as promised, I tried to
chat with her. So it was Alexa lights off, lights go off, I say thank
you and she sings a song about 'You're very very welcome' when she
finished that I asked her if she said that to everyone who thanked
her, no response lol

She is also very useful to me as a timer, this new stove I have has
such a quiet timer I can't hear it in this room. So if I want a timer
when I come in here I ask Alexa alert me in ... minutes. She always
does and again, it's useful to me.

HRM Resident

Mar 25, 2023, 9:02:23 AM3/25/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> She is also very useful to me as a timer, this new stove I have has
> such a quiet timer I can't hear it in this room. So if I want a timer
> when I come in here I ask Alexa alert me in ... minutes. She always
> does and again, it's useful to me.

We do the same. In the winter around 8 PM it says "Don't forget
to turn the heat on in the guesthouse." (That's code for turn on the
electric blanket!) I have a few more like "Put the dog out.", etc. (We
don't have a dog, but it's a memory jog to do something that's routine
every day.)

I also cook my oatmeal in a slow cooker that I want to come on aroud
2 AM. I used to set up a mechanical timer, but now I have Alexa do it with
a samrtplug. It hasn't missed in about 3 years except when the power is
off.

And, as you say, it's great for one time reminders, like turning off
the stove, etc.

The deadbolt thing? Imagine if there's a fire and the lock is stuck
shut! Smoked and cooked granny. :-)

The downside is Amazon is collecting all this info and selling the
profile of you to everyone, but so is Google, all those Chat things,
etc. There is no privacy these days. Even if you live in the woods in a
shack, "off the grid", a drone or satellite is keeping an eye on you.

I don't give up any more personal information than I need to, but I
understand we are fighting a losing battle. Oh well.

One last thing. Alexa tends to now and then advertise things we
have no interest in. Like "Try out our new trivia game 'ABC'" I get sick
of these and find that she responds equally well to "Alexa, stop,"
"Alexa, be quiet", and "Alexa, shut the f**k up!"

--
HRM Resident

lucr...@florence.it

Mar 25, 2023, 9:33:58 AM3/25/23
On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 10:02:20 -0300, HRM Resident <hrm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Too many people were like Rick Walker who believed 'if you're not
doing anything wrong...' back in the day when surveillance started.
Now we are at the place we warned about :(

The one time I told Alexa to shut the F up, she responded, I'm sorry,

HRM Resident

Mar 25, 2023, 9:55:55 AM3/25/23
lucr...@florence.it writes:

> The one time I told Alexa to shut the F up, she responded, I'm sorry,
> I didn't understand what you said. At least I got a laugh :)

Maybe it responds to me better because I'm trying to watch TV and
she knows if she keeps babbling on, I'll unplug her! :-)

Emphasie the F part. It works every time. She just stops in mid
sentence! :-)

--
HRM Resident