Usenet Server

Donna Whitman

Feb 19, 2024, 11:28:03 AMFeb 19
Howdy, strangers. I haven’t been able to use Google Groups except on my iPad since they started using reCaptcha and now I find out they’re cutting access to Usenet. The only way for me to get back to more regular posting is setting Thunderbird up for access.

Found an excellent tutorial on how to do that now all I need is a server. What one does everyone recommend? They all charge after a free trial so I want to spend wisely.

James Warren

Feb 19, 2024, 12:03:06 PMFeb 19
On 2024-02-19 12:28 p.m., Donna Whitman wrote:
> Howdy, strangers. I haven’t been able to use Google Groups except on my iPad since they started using reCaptcha and now I find out they’re cutting access to Usenet. The only way for me to get back to more regular posting is setting Thunderbird up for access.
>
> Found an excellent tutorial on how to do that now all I need is a server. What one does everyone recommend? They all charge after a free trial so I want to spend wisely.

I have been using Giganews for over 10 years. I signed up for $2.99US
and it has not changed. I don't know what they want now. It is mostly OK
but sometimes it fails to post. If I restart TB it then usually works.
I don't think USENET is nearly as well supported as it once was.

axemen99

Feb 19, 2024, 1:55:02 PMFeb 19
I have been using news.eternal-september.org since last December 2023
https://www.eternal-september.org/
Created my FREE account there under TAB "User registration" with my email.

They need to confirm/authenticate my email before I can access their
server. (took me 1-3 times) Once authenticated, I am using the
Thunderbird news reader to read this newsgroup.

Google message -
"Effective February 22, 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new
Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new
content from Usenet peers will not appear. Viewing and searching of
historical data will still be supported as it is done today."

jvangurp

Feb 19, 2024, 2:57:43 PMFeb 19
On Monday 19 February 2024 at 12:28:03 UTC-4, Donna Whitman wrote:
> Howdy, strangers. I haven’t been able to use Google Groups except on my iPad since they started using reCaptcha and now I find out they’re cutting access to Usenet. The only way for me to get back to more regular posting is setting Thunderbird up for access.
>
> Found an excellent tutorial on how to do that now all I need is a server. What one does everyone recommend? They all charge after a free trial so I want to spend wisely.

I just downloaded Thunderbird and recovered my Eternal September account... now to figure out how to configure it!

Mike Spencer

Feb 19, 2024, 3:37:54 PMFeb 19

axemen99 <axem...@gmail.com> writes:

> I have been using news.eternal-september.org since last December 2023
> https://www.eternal-september.org/
> Created my FREE account there under TAB "User registration" with my email.
>
> They need to confirm/authenticate my email before I can access their
> server. (took me 1-3 times) Once authenticated, I am using the
> Thunderbird news reader to read this newsgroup.

I've been using Eternal September for many years with very rare, brief
outages. The only annoyance has been that if I take a long time to
compose a reply or look up backsground for one, ES times out and
closes the connection and I have to re-establish it to send the post.
Not a big deal.

I can't help with Thunderbird as I've been using Gnus withing GNU
Emacs for decades. There is a alt.comp.software.thunderbird newsgroup
where hep may be available. I don't know if the time-out annoyance
mentioned above happens with Thunderbird or if it & Windoesmhas a
built-in transparent work-around.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

John van Gurp

Feb 20, 2024, 6:32:16 AMFeb 20
It works!

--
Best regards,
John

NSBooklady

Feb 20, 2024, 6:53:54 AMFeb 20
On 2/19/2024 2:54 PM, axemen99 wrote:
> On 2/19/2024 12:02 PM, James Warren wrote:
>> On 2024-02-19 12:28 p.m., Donna Whitman wrote:
>>> Howdy,  strangers. I haven’t been able to use Google Groups except on
>>> my iPad since they started using reCaptcha and now I find out they’re
>>> cutting access to Usenet. The only way for me to get back to more
>>> regular posting is setting Thunderbird up for access.
>>>
>>> Found an excellent tutorial on how to do that now all I need is a
>>> server. What one does everyone recommend? They all charge after a
>>> free trial so I want to spend wisely.
>>
>> I have been using Giganews for over 10 years. I signed up for $2.99US
>> and it has not changed. I don't know what they want now. It is mostly
>> OK but sometimes it fails to post. If  I restart TB it then usually
>> works. I don't think USENET is nearly as well supported as it once was.
>>

> I have been using news.eternal-september.org since last December 2023
>   https://www.eternal-september.org/
> Created my FREE account there under TAB "User registration" with my email.
>
> They need to confirm/authenticate my email before I can access their
> server. (took me 1-3 times)  Once authenticated, I am using the
> Thunderbird news reader to read this newsgroup.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I really appreciate all the
suggestions of servers but I did go with Eternal September and
Thunderbird news reader to access it. Do have one question, when I hit
reply on a message, it populates the To field but not the NG field. Is
there a way to set it to reply to the NG only without having to manually
do that?