This is so bad it's right up HRM's alley

19 views
Skip to first unread message

James Warren

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 10:15:59 AMAug 1
to
Larry Lobster and Sam Clam were best friends. They did everything
together. The only difference between them is that Larry was
the nicest Lobster ever and Sam, well, he was not so good.
Larry and Sam did so much together that they even died together.
Larry went to heaven and Sam went to hell.

Larry was doing well in heaven until one day St. Peter came
up to him and said, “Larry, you know you are the nicest lobster
we ever had up here. Everyone likes you but you seem to be a
bit depressed. Tell me what is bothering you, maybe I can help.”
Larry said, “Well, don’t get me wrong Pete, I like it up here
and everything, but I really miss my good friend Sam Clam. We
used to do everything together and I really miss him a lot.”
St. Peter looked at Larry with pity and said to him, “I tell
you what, I can arrange it so that you can go down to hell tomorrow
and visit Sam all day. How would that sound?”

This made Larry very happy and he got up bright and early the
next morning and grabbed his wings, his harp, and his halo and
got in the elevator to hell.

When the doors opened he was met by Sam. They hugged each other
and they were off. You see in Hell Sam owned a disco. They spent
the day there together and had a great time.

At the end of the day Larry and Sam went back to the elevator
together said their goodbyes and Larry got back in the elevator
and went up to heaven.

He stepped off the elevator and was greeted by St. Peter who
blocked the doorway to heaven. He looked at Larry and said,
“Larry Lobster, didn’t you forget something?”

Larry looked around and said, “No, I don’t think so I have my
halo and my wings.”

St. Peter looked at him and said, “Yes, but what about your
harp?”

Larry gasped and said, “I Left My Harp in Sam Clam’s Disco.”

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 11:55:24 AMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 11:15 a.m., James Warren wrote:
> Larry Lobster and Sam Clam were best friends. They did everything
> together.

>snip<

>
> St. Peter looked at him and said, “Yes, but what about your
> harp?”
>
> Larry gasped and said, “I Left My Harp in Sam Clam’s Disco.”

Now your are throwing religion at me. If you don't get
your way, you're on a person like a stink on a skunk! Can't
you stop calling me names? So far, I am, according to you,
a pompous asshole, a troll, a fortune teller, a gaslighter,
and a nasty woman. Wow. A tantrum or what? Calm down and
debate without calling names, please.

Now, where were we? Oh yes. You have a hissy fit if
anyone criticizes science. I never said it was all useless.
I said it was the fad that was considered the answer to
everything circa 1975-2020. The fad was it replaced everything
else. It's still highly valid but is not the answer to
everything. This belief was the be-all and end-all in the
1980s when it peaked. That's what I said. I never said it
couldn't answer many things. But it's time to admit it will
not explain everything, regardless of how much anyone wants
it to or how long we wait.

Line them up: Weinberg, Crick, Hawking, Dawkins, Darwin, etc.
They all came and went with the same old refrain. "We KNOW that
science is the answer." It ain't, Skipper. It's a component of
the answer. I believe a significant part, but to claim it will
tell you, or anyone in the future, the complete knowledge of
everything is BS. Pure, 100%, made in Alberta BS.

I don't know what will tell us. It's not science or
organized religion. I don't think we'll ever know. But, for
some reason, you insist that I agree with you, or I'm one of
the names in the first paragraph I typed above. So what, exactly,
is wrong with you this past week or so?

You are pretty aggressive, to say the least. Be a nice fellow.
maybe you'll get a new computer or another gadget for Christmas!
If not, I'm betting on a lump of coal. :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 12:37:56 PMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 12:55 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
> On 2022-08-01 11:15 a.m., James Warren wrote:
>> Larry Lobster and Sam Clam were best friends. They did everything
>> together.
>
>       >snip<
>
>>
>> St. Peter looked at him and said, “Yes, but what about your
>> harp?”
>>
>> Larry gasped and said, “I Left My Harp in Sam Clam’s Disco.”
>
>     Now your are throwing religion at me. If you don't get
> your way, you're on a person like a stink on a skunk! Can't
> you stop calling me names? So far, I am, according to you,
> a pompous asshole, a troll, a fortune teller, a gaslighter,
> and a nasty woman. Wow. A tantrum or what? Calm down and
> debate without calling names, please.

These all sound very reasonable to me. :)

>
>     Now, where were we? Oh yes. You have a hissy fit if
> anyone criticizes science. I never said it was all useless.
> I said it was the fad that was considered the answer to
> everything circa 1975-2020. The fad was it replaced everything
> else. It's still highly valid but is not the answer to
> everything. This belief was the be-all and end-all in the
> 1980s when it peaked. That's what I said. I never said it
> couldn't answer many things. But it's time to admit it will
> not explain everything, regardless of how much anyone wants
> it to or how long we wait.

If there is any hope of learning something about the world,
science is the way is to be learned.

>
>     Line them up: Weinberg, Crick, Hawking, Dawkins, Darwin, etc.
> They all came and went with the same old refrain. "We KNOW that
> science is the answer." It ain't, Skipper. It's a component of
> the answer. I believe a significant part, but to claim it will
> tell you, or anyone in the future, the complete knowledge of
> everything is BS. Pure, 100%, made in Alberta BS.

What besides science would you recommend to learn about the
universe?

>
>     I don't know what will tell us. It's not science or
> organized religion. I don't think we'll ever know. But, for
> some reason, you insist that I agree with you, or I'm one of
> the names in the first paragraph I typed above. So what, exactly,
> is wrong with you this past week or so?

So what do you recommend?


>
>     You are pretty aggressive, to say the least. Be a nice fellow.
> maybe you'll get a new computer or another gadget for Christmas!
> If not, I'm betting on a lump of coal. :-)
>

Are you now begging? :)

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 1:08:56 PMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 1:37 p.m., James Warren wrote:
> On 2022-08-01 12:55 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
>> On 2022-08-01 11:15 a.m., James Warren wrote:
>>> Larry Lobster and Sam Clam were best friends. They did everything
>>> together.
>>
>>        >snip<
>>
>>>
>>> St. Peter looked at him and said, “Yes, but what about your
>>> harp?”
>>>
>>> Larry gasped and said, “I Left My Harp in Sam Clam’s Disco.”
>>

>> Calm down and
>> debate without calling names, please.
>
> These all sound very reasonable to me. :)

Add "beggar" to the list of insults! :-) I'm aghast.
>
>
> If there is any hope of learning something about the world,
> science is the way is to be learned.
>

Now you've changed the goal . . . it was to eventually
learn everything. Now it's something, I think. You seem to
have lowered your objective substantially. If that's correct,
thanks!

>>
>>      Line them up: Weinberg, Crick, Hawking, Dawkins, Darwin, etc.
>> They all came and went with the same old refrain.
>
> What besides science would you recommend to learn about the
> universe?
>

Science will tell us something about the universe. You and
I agree on that (I think.) But sometimes you claim it'll be
something, and other times that it will be everything. Which is it?
It's hard to debate a topic you keep changing.


>> So what, exactly,
>> is wrong with you this past week or so?
>
> So what do you recommend?
>

I haven't recommended anything. You won't tell me what's
wrong with you this last week, either. What changed? Do I have
to guess? You went to a church? You had a vivid dream about
talking to Hawking? There are an infinite number of
possibilities. Maybe even you don't know! :-)

And you keep changing what I'm supposed to recommend to
solve. Which is it? Something or everything?

>>
>
> Are you now begging? :)
>

Begging for what? A straight answer? I don't think I'm
begging, but if you say so, OK. :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 2:29:22 PMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 2:08 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
> On 2022-08-01 1:37 p.m., James Warren wrote:
>> On 2022-08-01 12:55 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
>>> On 2022-08-01 11:15 a.m., James Warren wrote:
>>>> Larry Lobster and Sam Clam were best friends. They did everything
>>>> together.
>>>
>>>        >snip<
>>>
>>>>
>>>> St. Peter looked at him and said, “Yes, but what about your
>>>> harp?”
>>>>
>>>> Larry gasped and said, “I Left My Harp in Sam Clam’s Disco.”
>>>
>
>>> Calm down and
>>> debate without calling names, please.
>>
>> These all sound very reasonable to me. :)
>
>      Add "beggar" to the list of insults! :-) I'm aghast.

And well you should be! :)

>>
>>
>> If there is any hope of learning something about the world,
>> science is the way is to be learned.
>>
>
>     Now you've changed the goal . . . it was to eventually
> learn everything. Now it's something, I think. You seem to
> have lowered your objective substantially. If that's correct,
> thanks!

Learning everything is the goal but it is recognized that
may not be possible.

>
>>>
>>>      Line them up: Weinberg, Crick, Hawking, Dawkins, Darwin, etc.
>>> They all came and went with the same old refrain.
>>
>> What besides science would you recommend to learn about the
>> universe?
>>
>
>     Science will tell us something about the universe. You and
> I agree on that (I think.) But sometimes you claim it'll be
> something, and other times that it will be everything. Which is it?
> It's hard to debate a topic you keep changing.

It will be something and the goal is everything even if it is
not possible.

>
>
>>> So what, exactly,
>>> is wrong with you this past week or so?
>>
>> So what do you recommend?
>>
>
>     I haven't recommended anything. You won't tell me what's
> wrong with you this last week, either. What changed? Do I have
> to guess? You went to a church? You had a vivid dream about
> talking to Hawking? There are an infinite number of
> possibilities.  Maybe even you don't know! :-)

Right. I don't. :)

>
>     And you keep changing what I'm supposed to recommend to
> solve. Which is it? Something or everything?
>
>>>
>>
>> Are you now begging? :)
>>
>
>     Begging for what?  A straight answer? I don't think I'm
> begging, but if you say so, OK. :-)
>

What do recommend besides science if science is BS?
Fair question.

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 4:31:26 PMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 3:29 p.m., James Warren wrote:

> And well you should be! :)
>
Not only aghast, but appalled. flabbergasted and
a bit thunderstruck! I'm certainly quite dismayed.

>
> Learning everything is the goal but it is recognized that
> may not be possible.
>

That's not what you said to begin with, nor is it what
the list of so called scientists I listed said. Some were
Nobel Prize winners. They claimed everything would be solved
by science.

>
> It will be something and the goal is everything even if it is
> not possible.
>

That's dumb. That's like saying I'm going to row across
the Atlantic in a blow-up kiddie swimming pool. What happened
to setting achievable goals? Change it to "everything possible"
or something like that.

>
> Right. I don't. :)
>

Maybe you should ask an expert. Like a lawyer, doctor, or a
mystic in the arts of voodoo. It's possible somebody put a
spell on you. Did you consider that? :-)


>
> What do recommend besides science if science is BS?
> Fair question.
>

Allow some things to be a mystery. For the same reason we
don't tell little kids there is no Santa**, or that we can lose
ourselves in TV shows that are purely for entertainment. Do
you watch sitcoms like Big Bang Theory and really believe
those characters are real? Do you want to visit Dog River and
hang around with Hank and Oscar? These are fair questions, too.

** Did you tell little three to five-year-old-kids there is no
Santa Claus all your life? Fair question! :-)

--
HRM Resident

Mike Spencer

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 5:13:04 PMAug 1
to

James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:

> Larry gasped and said, "I Left My Harp in Sam Clam's Disco."

Where Sam is using it for illumination by pouring that green booze
into it. Absinthe makes the harp glow longer.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

James Warren

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 5:55:01 PMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 5:31 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
> On 2022-08-01 3:29 p.m., James Warren wrote:
>
>> And well you should be! :)
>>
>     Not only aghast, but appalled. flabbergasted and
> a bit thunderstruck!  I'm certainly quite dismayed.

This is more than I could hope for. :)

>
>>
>> Learning everything is the goal but it is recognized that
>> may not be possible.
>>
>
>     That's not what you said to begin with, nor is it what
> the list of so called scientists I listed said.  Some were
> Nobel Prize winners.  They claimed everything would be solved
> by science.

Yeah, it is. Everything in time as time tends to infinity. :)

>
>>
>> It will be something and the goal is everything even if it is
>> not possible.
>>
>
>     That's dumb.  That's like saying I'm going to row across
> the Atlantic in a blow-up kiddie swimming pool.  What happened
> to setting achievable goals?  Change it to "everything possible"
> or something like that.

We don't know what is possible.

>
>>
>> Right. I don't. :)
>>
>
>     Maybe you should ask an expert. Like a lawyer, doctor, or a
> mystic in the arts of voodoo.  It's possible somebody put a
> spell on you.  Did you consider that? :-)

Yeah, I think YOU are trying to put a spell on me. I adroitly
resist your gaslighting efforts. :)

>
>
>>
>> What do recommend besides science if science is BS?
>> Fair question.
>>
>
>     Allow some things to be a mystery.  For the same reason we
> don't tell little kids there is no Santa**, or that we can lose
> ourselves in TV shows that are purely for entertainment.  Do
> you watch sitcoms like Big Bang Theory and really believe
> those characters are real?  Do you want to visit Dog River and
> hang around with Hank and Oscar?  These are fair questions, too.

Ah no, they're not.

Everything not yet known is a mystery. Your attitude would lead
to no new discoveries because you would have everything not now known
be a mystery forever. That is intellectual stagnation. I think
you may want that. :)

>
> ** Did you tell little three to five-year-old-kids there is no
> Santa Claus all your life?  Fair question! :-)
>

I was not asked. But I would if asked. I bet you perpetuated
falsehoods for your kids, didn't you? :)

James Warren

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 5:55:50 PMAug 1
to
On 2022-08-01 6:13 PM, Mike Spencer wrote:
> James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Larry gasped and said, "I Left My Harp in Sam Clam's Disco."
>
> Where Sam is using it for illumination by pouring that green booze
> into it. Absinthe makes the harp glow longer.
>

Indeed it does Mike.

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 8:12:24 PMAug 1
to
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>     Not only aghast, but appalled. flabbergasted and
>> a bit thunderstruck!  I'm certainly quite dismayed.
>
> This is more than I could hope for. :)
>

What a strange person you are! :-)

>>
>> ** Did you tell little three to five-year-old-kids there is no
>> Santa Claus all your life?  Fair question! :-)
>>
>
> I was not asked. But I would if asked. I bet you perpetuated
> falsehoods for your kids, didn't you? :)
>

You’re damn right I did. I “perpetrated the falsehoods” of their
childhood until they figured it out on their own. I don’t see the point of
destroying a child’s innocence and enjoyment before they are ready to face
the reality of adulthood.

You, apparently, would tell a five year old kid “Nope. There’s no
Santa” (if they asked) to pop their bubble of happiness! I reiterate,
“What a strange person you are!” :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 1, 2022, 8:45:48 PMAug 1
to
I see, reality has little importance in your life. :)

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 5:37:50 AMAug 2
to
James Warren <jwwar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> “What a strange person you are!” :-)
>>
>
> I see, reality has little importance in your life. :)
>

Scrooge! The grinch who stole Christmas! :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 8:59:39 AMAug 2
to
Christmas is BS! :)

James Warren

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 11:28:07 AMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-01 9:12 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
You habitually engage in floccinaucinihilipilification on science
and are succored into accepting the great marketing bullshit
of Christmas. I find that strange. :)

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 12:31:29 PMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-02 12:28 p.m., James Warren wrote:

>
> You habitually engage in floccinaucinihilipilification on science
> and are succored into accepting the great marketing bullshit
> of Christmas. I find that strange. :)
>

Children > 7 or 8 years of age can decide for themselves
if they want to participate in "the great marketing bullshit
of Christmas." There are many cultural traditions all around
the world that make many kids and adults happy. Christmas,
Easter, Midsummer festivals, Natal Day parades, Pride parades,
Halloween (although some adult assholes have been ruining
that one with poison, pins and razor blades, etc.) and dozens
of other events in places of which I have no knowledge. I
don't want to be mean to little kids or adults, for that matter.
Why do you dislike little kids? :-) Why do you dislike it when
adults enjoy themselves? :-) Is "happy" an emotion you'd like
to stamp out?

My "floccinaucinihilipilification" of science is targeted
at those adults who take it on as a religion. Those who insist
everyone must believe what they do. A person who insists all
others must be like them is pretty much a bigot**, are they
not? :-)

** a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to
a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced
against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis
of their membership of a particular group. <-- Seems to fit the
mocking of everything non-science, including those who wish to
say "I don't know."

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 1:23:34 PMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-02 1:31 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
> On 2022-08-02 12:28 p.m., James Warren wrote:
>
>>
>> You habitually engage in floccinaucinihilipilification on science
>> and are succored into accepting the great marketing bullshit
>> of Christmas. I find that strange. :)
>>
>
>     Children > 7 or 8 years of age can decide for themselves
> if they want to participate in "the great marketing bullshit
> of Christmas." There are many cultural traditions all around
> the world that make many kids and adults happy.  Christmas,
> Easter, Midsummer festivals, Natal Day parades, Pride parades,
> Halloween (although some adult assholes have been ruining
> that one with poison, pins and razor blades, etc.) and dozens
> of other events in places of which I have no knowledge.  I
> don't want to be mean to little kids or adults, for that matter.
> Why do you dislike little kids? :-) Why do you dislike it when
> adults enjoy themselves? :-) Is "happy" an emotion you'd like
> to stamp out?

I guess spending great gobs of money because of social
obligation is justified if it generates a smile or two
from greedy ungrateful brats. :)

>
>     My "floccinaucinihilipilification" of science is targeted
> at those adults who take it on as a religion. Those who insist
> everyone must believe what they do. A person who insists all
> others must be like them is pretty much a bigot**, are they
> not? :-)

I don't know of such people. Do you? Science is not a religion because
it has no gods or dogma. Trying to behave rationally is not insisting
others believe anything. Where do you get such nutty ideas. :)

>
> ** a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to
> a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced
> against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis
> of their membership of a particular group. <-- Seems to fit the
> mocking of everything non-science, including those who wish to
> say "I don't know."
>

Science fully admits what it doesn't know. Why do you
think otherwise? Defending science is in no way bigotry.
Think again. :)


HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 2:43:15 PMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-02 2:23 p.m., James Warren wrote:

>
> I guess spending great gobs of money because of social
> obligation is justified if it generates a smile or two
> from greedy ungrateful brats. :)
>

Your kids might be "ungrateful brats,", but mine are/were not. I
never spent "great gobs of money" on Christmas. Presents we modest, and
they were used . . . so I guess I don't fit the mold to which you refer.
I would do it again in a heartbeat if given the chance. Why do your
dislike kids? :-)


>
> I don't know of such people. Do you?
>

One. You. If anyone dares question "science is great", you attack
them. If they participate in anything but reading dry, boring research
physics and psychology papers and listening to science-oriented YouTube
videos, you mock them. Sounds like a one-tracked mind bigot to me. Not
the "Archie Bunker" kind of bigot. More like Trump. The "I alone, know
how to fix this" style thinking. Oh well.

>
> Science fully admits what it doesn't know. Why do you
> think otherwise? Defending science is in no way bigotry.
> Think again. :)

Oh fuck off! :-) Every time I say, "I don't know," you equate me
to a religious nut. Remember, according to you I'm a "pompous asshole"
and 4-5 other things I already forgotthat you called me in the past week
for not praying to dead scientists. You are a classic example of the
dictionary definition of a bigot! Ha ha! :-)

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 3:09:40 PMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-02 3:43 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
> On 2022-08-02 2:23 p.m., James Warren wrote:
>
>>
>> I guess spending great gobs of money because of social
>> obligation is justified if it generates a smile or two
>> from greedy ungrateful brats. :)
>>
>
>     Your kids might be "ungrateful brats,", but mine are/were not.  I
> never spent "great gobs of money" on Christmas.  Presents we modest, and
> they were used . . . so I guess I don't fit the mold to which you refer.
>  I would do it again in a heartbeat if given the chance.  Why do your
> dislike kids? :-)

I don't, but Xmas puts many people into bankruptcy because society
demands spending money you can't afford to buy something for
everybody you know. How great is that?

>
>
>>
>> I don't know of such people. Do you?
>
>     One. You. If anyone dares question "science is great", you attack
> them. If they participate in anything but reading dry, boring research
> physics and psychology papers and listening to science-oriented YouTube
> videos, you mock them. Sounds like a one-tracked mind bigot to me.  Not
> the "Archie Bunker" kind of bigot.  More like Trump.  The "I alone, know
> how to fix this" style thinking.  Oh well.

Sounds like an open minded person with a strong desire
to learn new things. Is that bad?

>
>>
>> Science fully admits what it doesn't know. Why do you
>> think otherwise? Defending science is in no way bigotry.
>> Think again. :)
>
>     Oh fuck off! :-)  Every time I say, "I don't know," you equate me
> to a religious nut.

Really?

> Remember, according to you I'm a "pompous asshole"
> and 4-5 other things I already forgotthat you called me in the past week
> for not praying to dead scientists.

That's not why. Tou asked for it, remember? :)

> You are a classic example of the
> dictionary definition of a bigot!  Ha ha! :-)
>

Haha indeed. Thou knowest not of which thou speaketh. :)

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 3:32:43 PMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-02 4:09 p.m., James Warren wrote:

>
> I don't, but Xmas puts many people into bankruptcy because society
> demands spending money you can't afford to buy something for
> everybody you know. How great is that?
>

On a serious note, we had a family who lived about 1/2 a mile from
me. They moved into an old house when the original occupants died
around 1960. They were the classic type you describe. 8-9 kids and
hardly any money. There were more mealtimes than meals in that house,
even with both parents working for minimum wages.

However, they had the biggest Christmases that we ever saw. They
must have borrowed Xmas money in November and no amount of presents were
too expensive and too munch. Hockey gear, every gizmo Eaton's and Sears
sold. You name it, they got it.

It was all busted or lost by mid-January and I came to the
conclusion it was borrowed money being paid back January-March because
all they had was fluffs, powdered milk and Kraft dinner until April or
May. No running water . . . just a bucket and well and an outhouse. A
wood stove with one of those "Boston Breeze" oil things on it to make
sure old, green wood would "burn" and fill the chimney with gunk.
Chimney fires a couple of times a year. All to pay for a lavish
Christmas, I believe. They were always running out of oil too . . . but
there were no pipes to freeze.

Most of the rest of us in the village got practical stuff, and this
"lesson learned" was something I passed down to my kids. They never
asked for anything, and we gave them practical stuff. Calculators,
books and into their 12-16 year age, a computer hooked to a dial-up
modem. It served them better than toy airplanes and over-priced junk
that was peddled at the malls.

>
> Sounds like an open minded person with a strong desire
> to learn new things. Is that bad?
>

Donald Trump is an open mined person with a strong desire to learn
new things? Good heavens! Did you fall and hit your hard on a rock??!!
>
> Haha indeed. Thou knowest not of which thou speaketh. :)
>

I forgot more than you ever knew! Ha ha ha. And hee, hee, hee, on
top of it!

--
HRM Resident

James Warren

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 4:21:04 PMAug 2
to
On 2022-08-02 4:32 PM, HRM Resident wrote:
> On 2022-08-02 4:09 p.m., James Warren wrote:
>
>>
>> I don't, but Xmas puts many people into bankruptcy because society
>> demands spending money you can't afford to buy something for
>> everybody you know. How great is that?
>>
>
>     On a serious note, we had a family who lived about 1/2 a mile from
> me.  They moved into an old house when the original occupants died
> around 1960.  They were the classic type you describe.  8-9 kids and
> hardly any money.  There were more mealtimes than meals in that house,
> even with both parents working for minimum wages.
>
>     However, they had the biggest Christmases that we ever saw.  They
> must have borrowed Xmas money in November and no amount of presents were
> too expensive and too munch.  Hockey gear, every gizmo Eaton's and Sears
> sold.  You name it, they got it.
>
>     It was all busted or lost by mid-January and I came to the
> conclusion it was borrowed money being paid back January-March because

In many cases it is paid back January to November.

> all they had was fluffs,

I remember fluffs. We ate them out of the bag as a snack.

> powdered milk and Kraft dinner until April or

KD was a staple for many college students. Maybe still is.

> May.  No running water . . . just a bucket and well and an outhouse.  A
> wood stove with one of those "Boston Breeze" oil things on it to make
> sure old, green wood would "burn" and fill the chimney with gunk.
> Chimney fires a couple of times a year. All to pay for a lavish
> Christmas, I believe.  They were always running out of oil too . . . but
> there were no pipes to freeze.
>
>    Most of the rest of us in the village got practical stuff, and this
> "lesson learned" was something I passed down to my kids.  They never
> asked for anything, and we gave them practical stuff.  Calculators,
> books and into their 12-16 year age, a computer hooked to a dial-up
> modem.  It served them better than toy airplanes and over-priced junk
> that was peddled at the malls.

These days I think your way is the exception. Xmas is counted on
for most business to survive and make a profit. My attitude
is don't buy into all that nonsense if you can avoid it without
offending everybody you know.

>
>>
>> Sounds like an open minded person with a strong desire
>> to learn new things. Is that bad?
>>
>
>     Donald Trump is an open mined person with a strong desire to learn
> new things?  Good heavens!  Did you fall and hit your hard on a rock??!!

Good grief! I think you had a bad knock recently.

>>
>> Haha indeed. Thou knowest not of which thou speaketh. :)
>>
>
>     I forgot more than you ever knew!  Ha ha ha.  And hee, hee, hee, on
> top of it!
>

If that is true then it is very likely that you now know
next to nothing. So sad for you. :)

HRM Resident

unread,
Aug 2, 2022, 8:23:38 PMAug 2
to
I think we agree on pretty much every in this post. I did hear
sometime in the 1970s that Kraft Dinner was universally liked, and that
even the rich wanted to at least once a month. But it was considered a
“poor man’s food” so they got friends or “staff” to sneak it to them.
Pretty sure this was on a CBC radio show.

The family to which I refer couldn’t afford much more. And yes, a
university delicacy! It’s pretty good, but not when it is super 6 nights
out of 7, with nothing the other day.

I will have to find something else to discuss tomorrow. I don’t know
what I will be doing. Oldest son texted me from the west coast earlier
saying they tested positive for Covid this weekend. Mild symptoms and they
are fully vaccinated. They think their kids lugged it home from daycare.
And a few hours ago the BC government announced shots for kids under 5.
Talk about a day late and a dollar short!

Sounds like they will be OK though. This is the same fellow who was
generating those GitHub issues we saw.

--
HRM Resident
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages