We're making history -- #OCL4Ed exceeds 1000 registrations from 87 countries

Wayne Mackintosh

Jan 24, 2012, 8:47:19 PM1/24/12
to WikiEducator, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com, heyw...@googlegroups.com, oer-uni...@googlegroups.com, Open Educational Resources - an online discussion forum
Kudos to OER, open licensing and free learning opportunities.

During Day 1 of the #OCL4Ed online workshop we achieved an important milestone -- 1000 course participants! (Currently 1024 people from 87 different countries are participating in the course).

#OCL4Ed is a course about OER and open licensing. The course practices what it preaches:
  • The course is free (no cost)
  • 100% of the course materials are based OER and uses a default CC-BY license (thus a free cultural works approved license)
  • The course materials are available in open file formats (easy to revise, remix and redistribute) and
  •  #OCL4Ed is delivered using open source software.
We have an amazing team of volunteer facilitators who are helping to make this happen.

#OCL4Ed 2012.01 continues to prove that providing free learning opportunities for the masses is not mere speculation as many other pioneering efforts have already demonstrated. We can do this. Not in small numbers, but with large student groups in a scalable and affordable way.

The next step is to implement solutions for OER learners to earn credible credentials. The OER Foundation in partnership with the founding anchor partners of the OER university (OERu) network will resolve this challenge. At the recent meeting of OERu founding anchor partners, we have agreed to implement prototype courses during 2012 for official launch in 2012. Watch this space!

Working together, we can achieve free learning opportunities for all students worldwide.

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director OER Foundation