Study on annotation of design and implementation choices, and of technical debt

Gianmarco Fucci

Mar 18, 2020, 6:27:07 AM3/18/20
to Hexo
Dear all,

As software engineering research teams at the University of Sannio (Italy) and Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands) we are interested in investigating the protocol used by developers while they have to annotate implementation and design choices during their normal development activities. More specifically, we are looking at whether, where and what kind of annotations developers usually use trying to be focused more on those annotations mainly aimed at highlighting that the code is not in the right shape (e.g., comments for annotating delayed or intended work activities such as TODO, FIXME, hack, workaround, etc). In the latter case, we are looking at what is the content of the above annotations, as well as how they usually behave while evolving the code that has been previously annotated.

When answering the survey, in case your annotation practices are different in different open source projects you may contribute, please refer to how you behave for the projects where you have been contacted.

Filling out the survey will take about 5 minutes.

Please note that your identity and personal data will not be disclosed, while we plan to use the aggregated results and anonymized responses as part of a scientific publication.

If you have any questions about the questionnaire or our research, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can find the survey link here:

https://forms.gle/hcjikLJVV85kky9v8

Thanks and regards,

Gianmarco Fucci (gianmarc...@gmail.com)