New Hub Design for Geodesic Dome.

lemondealc

Nov 3, 2017, 12:52:09 PM11/3/17
to hexayurt
Hi all,

I though this might interest this group. I figured a new hub design that offers a cheap and easy way to build domes. I'm basically re-purposing an existing packaging product that is currently used to suspend spools in square boxes. This is typically a throw-away product, which is why it is so cheap. Let me know what you think.

I recently showed the hubs at the Milwaukee Maker Faire. I had kids building a small dome inside a bigger dome. It was pretty fun.

Josh Larsen, 8, of Franklin works in the Geodesic Dome

The domes also held up pretty well to two days of abuse by the little ones.

Here are a couple of photos (with a close-up of the hub) from a small dome that I built for halloween.

In addition to feedback, I want to let it be known that I have enough of these hubs for about 15 more domes (they are an industrial product and have to be purchased in bulk) so anybody who is interested in getting there hands on them should shoot me an email at lemon...@gmail.com. I'm interested in working with folks who can help refine the design.

Cabinz Admin

Nov 14, 2017, 6:03:37 AM11/14/17
to hexayurt
Great re-use ideas.
I'll email you this reply

If you can find a composite door manufactuer near you willing to give you their 2m long door edge strip (DES) off cuts, you can get the beams for free as well,. I founded the cabinz project in Chester Uk, which as over 3 yrs, reused over 120 tonnes of door off cuts  to make insualted panels/ sheds green houses

we used the grp window cut outs from the doors to make insualted floors as they are load bearing, or insualte walls .

eg

Prototype Wedge Block Shelter with Grp Window Cladding & Composite Door Edge Off-Cut Frame / Corner Brace

www.cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/prototype-wedge-block-shelter-with-grp.html

Prototype Green House / Shed DIY Kit Mk 1 with Slanting Flat Roof (Using DES Strips & Grp Sheets)

www.cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/prototype-green-house-shed-diy-kit-mk-1.html

These DES are strong, but can be strengthenedmore  with drywall ling in on the ouside if required.

Clad Composite Beam From Waste by cabinz in reuse

www.instructables.com/id/Clad-Composite-Beam-From-Waste/

lemondealc .

Nov 14, 2017, 10:49:25 AM11/14/17
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely see if I can source these strips in my area. Have you used these strips on a dome before? The structures in your photos are all based on perpendicular angles (I.e. square geometry), which
 matches the geometry of the stripes but I'm not sure how I would attach them to the tubular pvc that I'm using. Perhaps I could use these instead of the tubing...

Best regards,
Andrew Cegielski

Cabinz Admin

Nov 14, 2017, 3:35:45 PM11/14/17
to hexayurt
Hi Andreeew, I experimented with a simplified related area, but strenghtened the strips by gluing  & screwing together as  it was used for a ladder

http://cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/chat-with-recipriboo-inventor-idea-for.html

http://www.reciproboo.org/

thineer strips are more flexible, I I also bent the thinner strips into half circles & glued & screwed again ,

Grp Sheet Green House or Storage Shed Prototype with Frame on the Outside to Form a Trellis to Suppot Creeping Vines or Beans etc

www.cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/grp-sheet-green-house-or-storage-shed.html

imo , its flexibility aids he dome shape .

in the Uk they landfill it so its free ot us as it saves them waste disposal.

 All DES strips are 45mm thick with fire resisitant plastic core & fibreglass skin either sides. the other dimension vaires fro m10mm to 50mm depening on size of door its cot to fit.

They do a cheaper door that I call whiteboard ots 30mm thick composite with platic either side . polystrrene foam & mdf stregthener / fire barrier.

Try & get to the factory manager / or MD, a higher management for a decision. Feel free to use prototypes on www.cabinz.net  project blog as examples to say we are helping you .

White board ones may be better if kids are hanging off them , they also come in 1.5 -2m long . We used it for thsi with DES strips as frame

Ship Lap Type Wall Cladding With White Board Edge Off Cut

www.cabinznet.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/mk-1-ship-lap-type-wall-cladding-with.html