Easy way to pull out rebar

Chris Phoenix

Aug 2, 2010, 12:16:55 PM8/2/10
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
I'm not kidding - it really is easy, not just "easier." You can pull
an 18" stake in one minute flat, without bending the stake, with no
hammer, no vice grips, no rebar puller, just a nylon strap. Just tie a
knot, adjust the strap, squat, and stand.

The last couple of years I've gone around on the last day pulling
dozens of stakes just to show people how to do this. I can pull 100
stakes in a day and not even get tired.

Get a loading strap or other reasonably wide nylon webbing. It should
be about 5 feet long.

Tie one end of the webbing to the stake. A lark's head knot works
well. You want the knot to be self-tightening so the webbing doesn't
slip on the rebar.

Stand over the stake. Wrap the webbing from the stake, around your
thigh, around your butt (not your hips - the padded part of your butt
- you'll get a better pull) and grab the free end. So the webbing
would go from the stake, to the inside of your right upper leg, around
the front of your right leg to the outside, around behind your butt
from right to left, and the free end is held in your left hand.

Squat down about a foot, and pull on the free end to tighten the
webbing. Shuffle around until the webbing is EXACTLY in line with the
stake. A couple inches off, a very slight angle, makes a huge
difference. If the stake is in the ground at an angle, the webbing
should be at the same angle.

Stand up. The stake will come with you.

If it's not all the way out, squat again, pull the webbing tight
again, and stand up again.

One place I went to, they had a 30 foot dome that they'd held down
with 3 foot 1/4" rebar. The rebar had twisted in the ground as they
pounded it in. A team of three people were trying to get it out with
power tools. One other guy and I used the strap, and vice grips to
twist... we pulled five of those twisted 3 foot rebars in about 5
minutes each, before the power-tool team could pull one.

If you use those big smooth construction stakes, the strap may slip;
stick a nail through one of the holes to hold it on.

If the rebar is bent over or eye'd at the top, attach the webbing to
the shaft of the rebar, not the bent part. Even that much of an angle
off-center makes a difference. If you get the strap lined up right,
you'll barely feel it as you stand up; the rebar will just simply come
out.

Chris

--
Chris Phoenix
cpho...@gmail.com

Founder, http://OnePercentGlobal.org
Executive Coach
Director of Research, Center for Responsible Nanotechnology, http://CRNano.org

Steve Upstill

Sep 8, 2010, 8:04:08 PM9/8/10
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
I hate all-caps, but I have to shout: THIS WAS THE MOST AWESOMEST TIP I'VE SEEN ON THIS GROUP, BY A MILE!!! For the last two years we've had a major shade structure and the worst, most dreaded task was getting the rebar out of the ground during breakdown. This year I pulled out my six yurt stakes in five minutes (including learning time) then handed the technique off to my dumbstruck campmates, and the rest of the stakes (serious stakes, too) were gone while I wasn't even paying attention.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Chris, for this life-changing tip. Human bodies can be a wonderful thing.

Cheers,
Steve

> --

I can't imagine anything more pathetic than a 45 year-old man
getting on stage and singing "I Can't Get No Satisfaction.'
-- Mick Jagger, 1975

Joshua Keroes

Sep 8, 2010, 9:32:45 PM9/8/10
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I used it too. That tip was absolutely full of win. I'm not even going to bother rewelding my rebar puller back together now.

Cody Firestone

Sep 9, 2010, 3:12:32 AM9/9/10
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
we just twist the rebar in place with a vice-grip and it comes right out!

Steve Upstill

Sep 9, 2010, 3:13:44 AM9/9/10
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
Ah, but I use rebar prongs, half as long as single rebar. No stumbleupon hazard!
--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke

"Any sufficiently obscure bug is indistinguishable from diabolic intervention." -- Steve Upstill

Cody Firestone

Sep 9, 2010, 3:57:29 PM9/9/10
to hexa...@googlegroups.com
we use the 18 inch rebar which has a steel washer welded on the top!  You can take a second piece of rebar, slide it thru the washer, and BOOM,, instant out rebar.

they are like a dollar each