My there were a lot of hexayurts in 2015

Vinay Gupta (Hexayurt Shelter Project)

Jan 4, 2016, 7:40:28 AM1/4/16
to hexa...@googlegroups.com

They just released the high res ground imagery

wow!

Does anybody have software which could do a count?

--
Vinay Gupta    hexa...@gmail.com   http://re.silience.com
Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest

Natalie Spilger

Apr 12, 2016, 1:01:38 PM4/12/16
to hexayurt
This is awesome.  Happy to help count if we divide into sections.

~ N

Jay Batson

May 13, 2016, 1:03:53 PM5/13/16
to hexayurt
I did a manual count. (Yeah, it took about 3 hours).

I counted 2,192 yurts. I'm sure this isn't a perfect count, but it's probably correct within 2-4%.

I was conservative in counting structures. Unless I was *convinced* something was a yurt, I didn't count it. I could confidently recognize H-12's and 6" stretch yurts, as well as larger multi-unit structures, so limited myself to those.

There were several obvious things that might have caused an under-count.
  • Some structures under tarps. There were a number of yurts that were clearly yurts, but covered with canvas or something. If I was *super* confident it was a covered yurt, I counted it. But if not, I did NOT count it. There were many blobs that *could* have been a covered yurt, but it was not absolutely clear, so I didn't count these.
  • Some areas of the Gigapixel weren't clear. At the edges of some of the photos, the stitching didn't do a good job, or the way the camera image itself was blurry, and I omitted any structures in those areas I wasn't absolutely clear about.
There were a decent number of shiny, but small and more irregular structures; these were likely Gigapods. They are a smaller diameter than an H12, not rectangular (like the 6' stretches), and didn't reflect light as clearly, making them easy to recognize once you get an eye for it. So t think I was fairly accurate in excluding Gigapods.

If you want to see the grid-by-grid count, my count spreadsheet is here.  If you look at your block and think I'm off, feel free to let me know in this thread; I'll listen to your case,and change if appropriate.

Enjoy.
-jb

Jay Batson

May 13, 2016, 1:05:32 PM5/13/16
to hexayurt
Argh - of course, I meant *Shiftpods*, not "Gigapods".... Doh!

Vinay Gupta (Hexayurt Shelter Project)

May 22, 2016, 11:16:21 AM5/22/16
to hexayurt
Oh wow I just saw your email, Jay.

Firstly, let me say thank you very much for the count. It must have been quite a task - I'm pretty dyslexic and find such things very difficult. Thank you.

Secondly WAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Magnificent, magnificent, magnificent

Well done everybody