HeX 1.0.2 - The Christmas Release

gee...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2007, 6:01:26 AM12/21/07
to HeX liveCD
Hi everybody,

Ho ho ho, Christmas is around the corner .....

For the sake of it, the HeX development team would like to present you
HeX 1.0.2 - The Christmas Release!!!!! Get it now!

- http://bsd.ipv6.la/hex-i386-1.0.2.iso
- http://bsd.ipv6.la/hex-i386-1.0.2.iso.md5
- http://bsd.ipv6.la/hex-i386-1.0.2.iso.sha256

The download mirror and liveUSB will be up pretty soon.

Official Annoucement

We are no longer calling this project HeX liveCD but now simply HeX,
as it has expanded quickly and the liveCD is one of the project under
HeX.

Two sub projects will be launched under this release as well -
- NSM Console
- liveUSB

NSM Console

Matthew(Dakrone) is the main developer of NSM Console, here's the
short description about it -

NSM Console (Network Security Monitoring Console) is a framework for
performing analysis on packet capture files. It implements a modular
structure to allow for an analyst to quickly write modules of their
own without any programming language experience which means you can
quickly integrate all the other NSM based tools to it. Using these
modules a large amount of pcap analysis can be performed quickly using
a set of global (as well as per-module) options. NSM Console also aims
to be simple to run and easy to understand without lots of learning
time.

If you want more information about what it is (and what it does),
check out this introductory post

http://thnetos.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/nsm-console-a-framework-for-running-things/

You can access NSM Console by clicking the menu -> NSM-Tools -> NSM
Console

HeX liveUSB

JJC(enhanced) created the liveUSB initially so instead of using a read-
only liveCD, you can use a read-write USB thumb drive. Here's the
short description of it -

After receiving numerous requests to create a HeX liveUSB Key Image we
decided to go ahead and build one. This image includes all of the
standard tools that you will find on HeX and it is writable; so you
can update things (signatures etc), make changes and so on.

To use HeX liveUSB, you simply download the image and dd it to your
USB Key (Thumbdrive). The 1.0.2 liveUSB is released inline with
liveCD. However JJC will create the liveUSB with more spaces in case
you want to store stuffs inside it soon.

Other Addition(Surprise)

Christmas Gifts for the Analyzt
1. HeXtra 1.0.2(Very soon because it needs to be tested with HeX 1.0.2
before release)
2. aimsnarf - aim protocol analyzer script
3. argi-PASVFTP.sh - argus 3 passive ftp extraction script
4. 4 additional PADS signatures
5. dsniff and honeysnap(thanks dakrone for porting this)
6. Add rp-Reference under analyzt home directory, and there's script
resources.sh which will download all the useful docs, papers or
articles which may assist analyzt wannabe.

Christmas Gifts for Everyone

Everyone loves eye candy, so do we! Since we call this as The
Christmas Release, here's your Christmas gift(The Shiny & New HeX
Christmas Wallpaper) -

1. HeX-WhiteChristmas.jpg
2. HeX-DarkChristmas.jpg

Thanks Vickson again for his artistic skillz!

Bug Fixes
1. unicornscan run time error
2. svn run time error
3. lsof run time error
4. firefox startup issue
5. pidgin and liferea dbus issue
6. CDROM-Mount.sh syntax error
7. script command issue
8. ping setuid issue

Other known major or minor issues in the Base System are fixed, thanks
chfl4gs_

From now on, we will have the backport too. The backport is basically
serving extra application packages that are not available in the HeX
base system. In order to install them, just download them from -

http://www.rawpacket.org/hex/packages/

For example to install tftpgrab, just run -

shell>sudo pkg_add -v tftpgrab-0.2.tbz

Last but not least, we are always looking for new contributor or
developer. If you are interested in joining us, feel free to email -

geek00l[at]gmail[dot]com

To know more about HeX Project, check it out at -

http://www.rawpacket.org/projects/hex

Merry Christmas and happy holidays from the entire HeX Team, see you
all in 2008!

Enjoy (;])

JJC

Dec 21, 2007, 8:54:59 AM12/21/07