p-value

angel b.

May 16, 2023, 10:47:59 AM5/16/23
to HeuristicLab
In Genetic programming - Symbolic classification we perform an experiment with 1000 runs.
We then analysed the results with: Executions / Analyse executions / Variable impacts.
In Variable impacts there are several columns referring to each input variable (the relative frequency of the variable in each run, the mean, the standard deviation and the p-value).
I am using the p-value to perform a variable selection and I need to document some aspects of its use in HeuristicLab. I have searched the documentation, but have been unable to find an answer. I would be grateful if you could clarify several aspects regarding this p-value
What is the null hypothesis - H0? I guess something about the frequency of the variable in the experiment being due to chance?
What is the distribution function of this H0? Binomial, Poisson, Normal...?
What are the parameters - average and variance - of the distribution function of H0?
What is the exact calculation algorithm?
Thank you in advance for your attention
Best, Ángel