Problems building HeuristicLab from source.

Daniel Castaño Rodríguez

Jul 24, 2023, 3:23:00 PM7/24/23
to heuris...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I am a student from the University of Oviedo (Spain) who is currently looking how to design and implement new algorithms and problems using evolutionary computation with HeuristicLab. To do this, I am trying to set up everything necessary to create plugins. However, the documentation says that it is necessary to first compile HeuristicLab from its source code, which I am unable to achieve.

First, the Build.ps1 script has a very specific version of Visual Studio and MSBuild hardcoded that does not correspond to the one installed on my computer. I have tried changing the version to mine, but it says that it cannot find some files.

I have also tried compiling the two solutions (HeuristicLab.ExtLibs.sln and HeuristicLab.ExtLibs.sln) from Visual Studio itself, but I have only managed to compile the solution corresponding to external libraries. The other one still says that it cannot find some files.

image.png

image.png

Apparently, there are a lot of files whose extension should be .cs, but for some reason that I do not know it is .cs.frame. Supposedly the PreBuildEvent.cmd script should change the extension of these files to the correct one, but in the end, I ended up changing the extensions myself.

The problem is that it still shows error messages because it is unable to find some dll’s that should have been created earlier during the compilation process. I have tried changing the compilation order of the projects, but it still fails and there are many circular dependencies.

Also, there are some errors related to some .resx files that depend on some resources on the internet.

I would appreciate it if you could help me with this problem.

Sincerely,

Daniel.

Bogdan Burlacu

Aug 9, 2023, 9:35:43 AM8/9/23
to HeuristicLab
Hi Daniel,

First of all, can you make sure that the git executable is in your path? The build script needs to call git to fill in some important information like plugin versions.

Best,
Bogdan

Daniel Castaño Rodríguez

Aug 9, 2023, 4:48:59 PM8/9/23
to heuris...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bogdan,

I have the git executable folder in my system path environment variable and git can be executed from the command line without problems.image.png
Best,
Daniel.

Bogdan Burlacu

Aug 10, 2023, 5:43:23 AM8/10/23
to HeuristicLab
Sorry I'd assumed you cloned from github. I think you also need SubWCRev (a svn command) to be installed (and in PATH): https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-subwcrev.html

Best,
Bogdan

Daniel Castaño Rodríguez

Aug 10, 2023, 8:38:35 AM8/10/23
to heuris...@googlegroups.com
In the end, I ended up installing TortoiseSVN and cloning the GitHub repository and I got it to work. I also created a test plugin and it seems to work without errors. Thank you very much for your help.
image.png

Best,
Daniel.

Message has been deleted