Retrieve data that led to inferred data

pbo...@intec.ugent.be

Nov 26, 2014, 8:58:55 AM11/26/14
to hermit...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was wondering if it was possible to ask the Hermit reasoner which exact data led to the inferred data.
For example, I have a concept MasterStudent which is a subclass of 'Student and (hasCourse some MasterCourse)'. Is it possible to ask the reasoner which exact data led to the decision to infer a 'MasterStudent'.
So I would like to know which Student and which courses made it possible to infer it as a MasterStudent. But Student could also be inferred from a Person with some extra properties. So I'm looking for the data in the ontology before there was any kind of reasoning on it.

(I'm using the HermiT reasoner with the OWL-API)

Kind Regards,
Pieter

Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz

Feb 16, 2015, 12:41:49 PM2/16/15
to pbo...@intec.ugent.be, hermit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pieter

Sorry for this very late response.

Could you give us more details about your problem? Are your inferences involving only the TBox or also the ABox?

Best
Ernesto

Ernesto Jiménez-Ruiz
Research Assistant
Department of Computer Science
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QD, UK

http://krono.act.uji.es/people/Ernesto
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/people/ernesto.jimenez-ruiz/

pbo...@intec.ugent.be

Mar 3, 2015, 9:50:10 AM3/3/15
to hermit...@googlegroups.com, pbo...@intec.ugent.be
Hi Ernesto,

My problem is related to the ABox. I am wondering if it is possible for the Hermit reasoner to explain which ABox data lead to some inferred data.
For example, I have a concept MasterStudent which is defined as an equivalent class to 'Student and (hasCourse some MasterCourse)'. When I feed the reasoner with some ABox axioms containing a Student (S1) with a relation hasCourse to a MasterCourse(C1), it will classify my student S1 as a MasterStudent.

Is it possible to ask the reasoner, after the reasoning process, why my student S1 is a MasterStudent? (ex. because it is a Student and has a relation hasCourse with a MasterCourse)
(Of course I could look up the MasterStudent class and see it is a Student with a MasterCourse, but maybe Student was inferred from something else which has been inferred from something else and so on...)

I hope this clarifies my question.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz

Mar 3, 2015, 12:17:28 PM3/3/15
to pbo...@intec.ugent.be, hermit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pieter

HermiT it implements the axiom pinpointing service and it can be used from Protege for example.
In Protege 4 (I use version 4.3). , attached to each axioms it should appear a question mark button that will explain why the axiom holds.

Best
Ernesto

pbo...@intec.ugent.be

Mar 4, 2015, 3:38:37 AM3/4/15
to hermit...@googlegroups.com, pbo...@intec.ugent.be
Hi Ernesto,

Thank you for your answer. Is it also possible to retrieve this data using HermiT with  the OWL API?

Kind regards,
Pieter

Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz

Mar 4, 2015, 10:33:54 AM3/4/15