negative object properties assertions

A B

Jan 4, 2022, 11:16:23 AM1/4/22
to HermiT Users
Hello
I try to use HermiT in Protégé for a simple case.
I have define two Object Properties which are the Inverse Of each other : R1 and R2.
I have an instance C which is NOT related to T with R1.
I am surprized that HermiT does not infere that T is NOT related to C with R2.
Did I miss something ? Thanks for your help.

Ignazio Palmisano

Jan 4, 2022, 12:12:31 PM1/4/22
to A B, HermiT Users

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022, 16:16 A B, <kourl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello
I try to use HermiT in Protégé for a simple case.
I have define two Object Properties which are the Inverse Of each other : R1 and R2.
I have an instance C which is NOT related to T with R1.
I am surprized that HermiT does not infere that T is NOT related to C with R2.

Hi,
If T and C aren't asserted to be related but do not belong to classes outside the domain/range of R1/R2, open world assumption means the reasoner cannot know if a relationship exists but wasn't asserted in the ontology.

Cheers,
Ignazio

Did I miss something ? Thanks for your help.

A B

Jan 6, 2022, 2:56:29 AM1/6/22
to HermiT Users
Hi. Thanks for your answer. I understand that my question was not clear enough. Actually, there is an assertion in the ontology :  C is NOT related to T with R1. So I expected that  HermiT inferes that T is NOT related to C with R2. I don't see it in Protege.  Thanks for your help.