Remote reboot when network address of 169.254.37.109 shows up

PE3ES / F4VTQ

Nov 28, 2022, 4:47:44 AM11/28/22
to Hermes-Lite
Is it in any way possible to restart the Hermes Lite remotely if this happens and the normal 192.168 DHCP-given address was not available ?

If not, it is always needed to go to the remote location after a power failure or a network failure.
In my case remote being the attic or the cellar ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions, except for a remote power switch ...

Erwin

Jaroslav Škarvada

Nov 28, 2022, 5:01:02 AM11/28/22
to Hermes-Lite
PE3ES / F4VTQ napsal(a):
Although it's probably very dirty hack, I think you could remotely
reflash the RBF gateware than the HL2 should automatically reboot
(IIRC). I don't know whether there is some protocol command for reboot.

I know you are not interested in this solution, but I have cheap USB
chinese relay board connected to the internet router and it drives the
12V HL line, 50 W power amplifier and two coaxial relays to remotely
switch antennas

73! Jaroslav, OK2JRQ

Steve Haynal

Nov 28, 2022, 11:56:54 AM11/28/22
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Erwin,

The Hermes-Lite supports remote reboot. You can use hermeslite.py (hl.reboot()) or Quisk (config setting to restart HL2 on exit).

You may want to configure your HL2 with a static IP, but prefer DHCP. This will use the DHCP address when provided but fall back to a static IP that you specify if there is ever a problem.

See this wiki page:
73,

Steve
kf7o

Erwin Serlé

Nov 29, 2022, 5:35:41 AM11/29/22
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I set the fixed IP + prefer DHCP.
I will need to think about a good fail safe strategy when using the HL2 unattended with all your input.

73
Erwin