Hermes-Lite 2.0 Availability

Steve Haynal

Jun 15, 2021, 1:58:16 AM6/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs informed me that they have sold out of the last run of 200 units. We are close to 1000 Hermes-Lite 2.0 units built and sold. Makerfabs is also having trouble sourcing some components for another run given the world wide integrated circuit supply problems. Unfortunately there may be some delay before more Hermes-Lite 2.0 units are available.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Anthony N1IG

Jun 15, 2021, 7:39:00 AM6/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
I hope that they are able to resume production in the near future.  I have had more fun with the HL2 than with any other radio in the last 40+ years, and think that it'd be much more than 1000 units if people really knew about it.

I may get a 2nd one when they become available again.

Anthony - N1IG

Bill Cox AI6SJ

Jun 15, 2021, 10:11:02 AM6/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
+1. Now I am even more thankful folks here talked me in the HL2 quickly.

Bill- AI6SJ

Noah Norris

Jun 15, 2021, 12:19:39 PM6/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Got the same email. can we all still source all the parts?

bill K7WXW

Jun 15, 2021, 4:05:00 PM6/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
I had a Hermes board, the enclosure and the add-on board in the cart.  I got called away from my office and by the time I got back to place my order, it was out of stock. I got the email from Makersfab that component sourcing is an issue. I can't tell you how bummed I am. I hope I didn't miss my chance completely.

Bill K7WXW

radi...@mail.com

Jun 16, 2021, 9:48:05 AM6/16/21
to Hermes-Lite
Don't worry Bill. I am sure you will be OK. The component shortage is a worldwide issue at the moment, even for some very common parts. Normality will resume at some point, there is no doubt. From the fact that HL2 is (or was) on MakerFabs web homepage I would guess it is a popular line for them (and rightly so due to Steve's amazing concept and design) so I don't see them stopping it any time soon.

I echo  the comments from Anthony - N1IG. HL2 (in combination with the excellent SDR Console software) got me back into ham radio after a long absence of many years. It's all such fun once again!

Just sit tight. It's well worth the wait.

73

Max

Steve Haynal

Jun 16, 2021, 12:30:05 PM6/16/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs sent me details on which parts are hard to source.

** No or not enough stock
KSZ9031RNXC (The ethernet PHY IC. Digikey has stock in tape form which they may be able to use.)
ASTXR-12-38.400MHZ-514054-T (The reference oscillator.)

** Limited stock resulting in substantial price increases
EP4CE22E22C8N (The FPGA. Unfortunately the Cyclone 10LP is not a pin compatible replacement and has fewer IO.)
ST1S10PHR (DC switching regulators.)

You can use tools such as

to see global inventory.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

Jul 7, 2021, 6:19:55 PM7/7/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs and I have found some part substitutions and/or alternate sources for these hard to find parts given the current global chip shortage. Unfortunately, the alternate sources charge more but have some stock. This means the price of the HL2 will go up by $20-$30 in the next run. I'd like to gauge interest at this new price point of around $250 for the HL2. Please let me know what you think.

Some of the parts, like the KSZ9031RNXC, will not be available again until July 2023 according to the manufacturer:

73,

Steve
kf7o

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2021, 12:01:10 AM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,
I already have 2 HL2's, so I'm not currently a potential customer for another.  But if I was in the market for one, I doubt that a price increase of 10% to 20% would deter me, given the lack of alternatives with anywhere near the specs of an HL2 (network connected, direct sampling Rx, 5W QRP Tx, finished PCB assemblies, etc., etc.) at anywhere near the current Makerfab's price point.  (KiwiSDR: Rx-only, more expensive.  Red Pitaya: more expensive, only low level Tx.  Apache Anan, Flex: more wattage and ADC bits, but far more expensive. etc.)
Didn't the last couple builds sell out in a fairly short amount of time?
73,
Ron
n6ywu

Steve Haynal

Jul 8, 2021, 1:39:09 AM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jim and Group,

One part that we still need a substitute for is this 3.9uH used in the 160M filter on the N2ADR board:

The best substitute I found is this:

Part CC453232-3R9KL to be exact. But its current rating is low enough to start concerning me. Any feedback?

73,

Steve
kf7o

Daniel Goller

Jul 8, 2021, 9:14:02 AM7/8/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Where do I sign up?

bill K7WXW

Jul 8, 2021, 10:16:13 AM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
Steve,

That price works for me, too. I will probably buy two boards and the associated case, etc, too.

73 Bill K7WXW

Peter McCracken

Jul 8, 2021, 11:03:59 AM7/8/21
to Daniel Goller, Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Yes, would very definitely be interested and no problem pre-ordering if required, given the current global situation a 30 dollar premium isn't that bad.

Please put me down for one !

Best regards, Peter.

Brock Nanson

Jul 8, 2021, 2:14:03 PM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
Looks like 700 vs 1250 mA rating for the inductors you've noted.  What sort of current do you think it might see? That is, you selected the larger one originally, based on what current assumption?  Would this limit the ability of the system to survive higher SWR values?

Probably not practical to modify the board for two larger ones in parallel?

Brock

James Ahlstrom

Jul 8, 2021, 4:03:48 PM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Group,

I replied to Steve, but I think I should have replied to the group. So:

I found these inductors that look similar. But I don't know if MakerFabs can get them. Mouser has some.

Bourns        CC453232-3R9KL
Murata        LQH43NH3R9J03L
Wurth          7440450039
CoilCraft     1812FS-392JLC

The low Q of 10 for the Bourns looks bad, but we don't know what the Q is at 2 MHz. The Murata has a Q of 20, again maybe at 2 MHz. The DC resistance for Bourns is 240 mOhm, Murata 144mOhm. I think the current limits are for DC core saturation. If the core saturates with DC current, the inductance goes to zero. So I am not too concerned about the lower DC limit. So maybe the Murata is better.

The real problem is the ferrite properties. These inductors need to work at decent Q and low loss at 2 MHz, not as inductors for power supplies. The only way to be sure they work is to test them. To test, add them to the filter, operate at 5 watts for a while, turn off the RF, and test the temperature with a finger. Hot means high losses. A SA plot of attenuation is good too.

So let's see what parts MakerFabs can get, get some samples, and I will test them if you don't have the time.

Jim
N2ADR

Mike Lewis

Jul 8, 2021, 6:55:08 PM7/8/21
to James Ahlstrom, Hermes-Lite

Looking a the Coilcraft spec sheet it calls out saturation current (Isat) of 1.3A, and Irms at 1.7A. 195mohm and Q=32 @ 1 MHz.  Chart looks like the inductance value holds to well over 10Mhz.  It would seem to work in this application?  Mouser has stock of 50, 600 more end of August.

Dan Da

Jul 8, 2021, 11:52:50 PM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
Joined the group just to reply: Yes! $250-$275 works for me.

Thanks,

73 Dano KN6KVB

Brad Brooks

Jul 8, 2021, 11:52:50 PM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
I'm in! 73 Brad WF7T

ctho admin

Jul 8, 2021, 11:52:50 PM7/8/21
to Hermes-Lite
I’ll take one at the new price plus case!  Sign me up!

Tim VK4QP

tmoto...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 12:15:39 AM7/9/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

Hi Steve – and the larger crowd..

I’m fine with the new price point given the parts supply issues.

Tom

K2TC

Jul 9, 2021, 12:38:42 AM7/9/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jim and Group,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the Bourns is now out of stock. Makerfabs needs at least 200 pieces for a run. They need to be the same to aid the automated assembly. Makerfabs usually sources from DigiKey or Mouser. I have to test a few other part substitutions so will include the Murata, Wurth and CoilCraft in my order for testing.

73,

Steve
kf7o

James Ahlstrom

Jul 9, 2021, 8:03:43 AM7/9/21
to Hermes-Lite
Yes, the CoilCraft is a very nice part, but it is expensive.

Jim
N2ADR

Jonathan Kelly

Jul 9, 2021, 9:28:46 AM7/9/21
to Hermes-Lite
Keen on purchasing a 2nd HL2 here as well Steve to use on the bench.

Probably hold off the order until the sourcing problems are resolved ?

Jonathan GW2HFR

Steve Haynal

Jul 17, 2021, 1:38:21 PM7/17/21
to Hermes-Lite
HI Group,

Here is an update on the next HL2 run.

For the 160M filter on the N2ADR board, we will use the Murata LQH43NH3R9J03L suggested by Jim. Makerfabs can source this part at reasonable cost. I tested it and it performed well. I looked at harmonic suppression with 3 spectrum analyzers: my scope-based Python scripts which I've used for years, a new TinySA, and a second HL2 RX connected via 40dB attenuation. It was very comparable to the existing inductor. I also did an extended transmit and checked for heating. Both the new and old inductor warm slightly.

We also need to substitute U4 KSZ9031RNXCA with the KSZ9021RN. This will require some changes to the gateware as the KSZ9021RN is initialized differently. I can't even source one in the US to test so ordered 3 from Ali Express. Microchip shows KSZ9031RN availability sometime at the end of 2022! Makerfabs can source the KSZ9021RN but not the KSZ9031RN.

Finally, we will substitute the X2 ASTXR-12-38.400MHZ-514054-T with the TG2520SMN 38.4000M-MCGNNM3. Again, I can't source one of these but Makerfabs can order 250. I'm not too worried about this change but would still like to test before production.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Matthew

Jul 17, 2021, 1:56:55 PM7/17/21
to Hermes-Lite
On behalf of everyone else, thank you for this Steve. Obsolescence/supply chain management is tedious when you are getting paid for it, let alone doing it in your spare time.

73 Matthew M5EVT.

Björn Langels

Jul 17, 2021, 2:08:19 PM7/17/21
to Hermes-Lite
Are all components possible to source now after you have had the chance to test some more?
When you give your go, will the order page stop saying out-of-stock then or is there a waiting list?
Björn, SM0SBL

Simon

Jul 17, 2021, 7:16:48 PM7/17/21
to Hermes-Lite
What one does is place an order with china..once production run is complete they will send out unit..

If you wait till it says in stock you MAY miss out as manufacturer has only a limited production run and they will ship to people who already have ordered first..

The manufacturer are GOOD they are reliable. They ARE NOT EBAY SCAMMERS..

I did above..ordered while out of stock..I received my hl2 no issues..

Simon g0zen

paul chancellor

Jul 18, 2021, 7:46:34 PM7/18/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite, paul chancellor, Allison Chancellor

Steve,

Thank you !

Paul

Paul D. Chancellor, Esq.

OCEAN LAW

Patent and Intellectual Property Law

694 Longpine

Eclectic, AL   36024

Tel:  805.368.4586

Fax: 805.299.4919

Email:  p...@oceanlawgroup.com

Jul 18, 2021, 10:16:21 PM7/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
I'm interested in a second HL2 for potential use with a transverter. Assuming we placed orders for HL2s now, would we be billed for the expected difference in price before shipping? How will that work exactly?

-Mooneer K6AQ

Steve Haynal

Jul 19, 2021, 1:48:14 AM7/19/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi All,

Right now I don't think you can place an order with Makerfabs as they are out of stock. Once Makerfabs feels they are far enough along in the next run, they will update the price and open the order page again for preorders. I am still confirming some substitutions so think Makerfabs is holding off.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Björn SM0SBL

Jul 19, 2021, 1:38:18 PM7/19/21
to Hermes-Lite
Ok.
Thanks for the info.
I'm not keen on order and pay ~$300 for a complete kit on chance with the current component sourcing situation anyway.
I'll keep an eye on this thread and Makerfabs order page.
I have similar sourcing problems in my work as well. It is not funny...

Brad Brooks

Jul 19, 2021, 8:51:39 PM7/19/21
to Hermes-Lite
Seconded...Steve, thanks for doing what you are doing. 73 Brad WF7T

Don [N5SKT]

Jul 19, 2021, 10:46:01 PM7/19/21
to Brad Brooks, Hermes-Lite
Thanks for the hard work on this, Steve. I have a number of folks asking me when they can buy them and one person wanted to buy mine (No!!).

73 de N5SKT

Best Regards,
Don - N5SKT

Jwahar Bammi

Jul 20, 2021, 12:25:13 AM7/20/21
to Hermes-Lite
+1 happy pay the price increase. How does one get a email notification on availability. Cant see any place on Makerfabs to put in an email notification. It wont let me checkout, and have it shipped on availability as someone up in the trail managed to do previously.

73 de k1jbd
bammi

Darran Siu

Jul 20, 2021, 1:54:14 PM7/20/21
to Hermes-Lite
+1 - Similar to you all, happy to pay for the modest price increase to use more expensive parts.

Key is quality.

73s 9V1DS
Darran

Steve Haynal

Jul 21, 2021, 12:34:58 AM7/21/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi All,

Thanks for your interest. There is no email notification list. When Makerfabs opens preorders, I will post to this group. I will also send a general announcement e-mail to all members of this group. I will use a subject line that clearly says Hermes-Lite units are available again. It is first come, first serve, so watch this group and/or your e-mail.

My source for the KSZ9021RN canceled my order. The BeMicro A9 has the KSZ9021RN. I will have to dig that eval board out for testing. The switch to the KSZ9021RN is what I am most concerned about.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Mehmet Raşid ÖĞÜNÇ

Jul 23, 2021, 3:48:56 PM7/23/21
to Hermes-Lite
Im wanna buy one

Steve Haynal

Jul 26, 2021, 12:50:02 AM7/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

I gave Makerfabs the green light to proceed with the next build. Now it depends on final part sourcing and lead times. Makerfabs will let me know when they open their website again for orders, and I will post that information to this group.

It was good that I removed the KSZ9021RN from my BeMicro A9 eval board and tested it on a Hermes-Lite 2.0. I had expected that skews would require adjustments for the KSZ921RN as it implements RGMII 1.3 instead of 2.0 and 1.3 requires manual adjustment of skews. This turned out to be true and updated gateware is required for this next release. It took me a few hours of testing but I finally realized that the ISET resister value needs to be a different value for the KSZ9021RN. Everything worked fine with updated gateware after making that resistor value change. See this migration guide for details, Using the wrong ISET resistor value in the next build would have been quite the headache to deal with.

As there are many new members to the group, I want to reiterate the way Hermes-Lite 2.0 units are made, tested, sold and possibly repaired or replaced. Hermes-Lite 2.0 units are not made arbitrarily by some company in China and sold on AliExpress. I have a relationship with Makerfabs to manufacture and test the Hermes-Lite 2.0 as well as fulfill orders. As you can see from this thread, Makerfabs will not substitute parts marked "no substitution allowed" on the BOM unless I test and approve. Also, Makerfabs is very careful to use reputable suppliers for all parts, often ordering parts directly from places like Mouser and DigiKey. Furthermore, Makerfabs tests all units before shipping with a RaspberryPi-based test setup created by me and Jim (N2ADR). All of this ensures a certain level of quality.

Based on passed sales of over 700 units now, we have seen a field failure rate in the 1%-3% range for each build of 100 units. Makerfabs pays me ~$20 per unit sold which goes into a repair and R&D fund. Makerfabs also sends me boards they are not able to repair for me to repair and use as replacements. I currently have 6 replacement units ready plus 4 more which I think can be repaired. If you encounter a problem, please first post to this group for help. If the group determines it is faulty hardware, then I will either exchange your unit or help you through a repair, including covering costs for parts.

The repair and R&D fund is in good shape. At one point I offered to use these funds to pay for some Hermes-Lite 2 related projects. That offer still stands. For example, we could use some of these funds to build 10 prototype units of a transverter add-on card. Please discuss on this group if you are interested. Please see the contributor guidelines. I have been funding the CW keyer development in this way. I have given at least 6 Hermes-Lite 2 units to software and hardware developers who have worked on HL2 support. Please send me e-mail if you would like to nominate someone to receive a unit.

Tech Minds

Jul 26, 2021, 4:54:47 AM7/26/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Thank you Steve for your full transparency on this project. Thankfully I have not had any issues with my HL2, in fact I use the HL2 as my daily HF radio.

What would be really nice would be a 2/70 144-146 / 430 - 440 MHz tansverter, so I could finally got fully SDR for radio. :)

Thanks again
Matt
M0DQW

paul chancellor

Jul 26, 2021, 11:16:31 AM7/26/21
to Tech Minds, Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite, Allison Chancellor

Steve,

This is excellent.  Thank you !

Paul

Paul D. Chancellor, Esq.

OCEAN LAW

Patent and Intellectual Property Law

694 Longpine

Eclectic, AL   36024

Tel:  805.368.4586

Fax: 805.299.4919

Email:  p...@oceanlawgroup.com

Jul 26, 2021, 11:52:34 AM7/26/21
to Steve Haynal, Tech Minds, Hermes-Lite
You won't be fully SDR until you also have 222, 903, 1296, 2304, 3400, 5760, 10G, 24G, 47G, and more! :-)

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Jul 27, 2021, 3:04:19 AM7/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs was able to source all the required parts. They have opened their web site for preorders with expected shipping at the end of August. Most people will want to purchase all 3 items (Hermes-Lite 2, N2ADR companion filter board, and enclosure) as listed on this wiki page: https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Group-Buy

Before purchasing, please read through the getting started wiki page and make sure you are comfortable with all steps: https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki

There is a price increase due to the worldwide integrated chip shortage. Makerfabs informed me that some parts are 2X-3X more expensive than in previous builds. If all goes as planned, Makerfabs expects to have all parts on hand by August 12 and start shipping units by August 23.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Anthony N1IG

Jul 27, 2021, 7:30:26 AM7/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
order placed.  a whopping $32 more than previously, and still an amazing bargain!

Anthony - N1IG

Dan Da

Jul 27, 2021, 9:54:20 AM7/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
Order placed! Many thanks to you, Steve, for working so hard to make the HL2 available (again).

Now if I can just finish all the DIY remodeling ordered by the XYL before my HL2 arrives...

73
Dano
KN6KVB

Jean-Baptiste GALLAUZIAUX

Jul 27, 2021, 6:06:22 PM7/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
What does meen Makerfabs's preorder. Does it mean no payment initially or payment of a deposit or the full payment when preordering?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Anthony N1IG

Jul 27, 2021, 6:22:45 PM7/27/21
to Hermes-Lite

When I did the preorder, there was a full charge made upfront on my card.

Anthony - N1IG

Steve Haynal

Jul 28, 2021, 1:02:00 AM7/28/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Pierre,

You are charged the full amount immediately. Estimated shipping is end of August.

You can try your luck and wait until the end of August to order. Then you will charged immediately and the item will be sent within days. There may not be stock left by then.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Jean-Baptiste GALLAUZIAUX

Jul 28, 2021, 8:34:51 PM7/28/21
to Hermes-Lite
HL2 plus N2ADR filter plus enclosure ordered today. I will have to wait now and during the next two month study the documentation, revise Python and study Quisk! I have hesitated for a long time, studied other transceivers and kits but I always was brought back to HL2!
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

keyboa...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2021, 5:35:35 PM8/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
Is the new build still compatible with the older gateware and hardware or can the changes be back-ported? For instance the 10-band receiver gateware or synchronizing a newer and older hardware build for coherent reception?

Thanks,
Jayson
AA7NM

Roger David Powers

Aug 18, 2021, 9:05:57 PM8/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
I think you are asking if the new gateware is fully backward-compatible, and my understanding is that it is, it can do everything the old gateware did plus some new things, mainly supporting a new ethernet PHY chip that the new build hardware will have. There definitely is a 'variant' for 10 RX support, I've tried it on one of my HL2s.  I don't see any hint that coherent reception is changed in any way.  People buying new hardware will not need to worry about any of this, the new hardware will come with the newest gateware installed.

Regards,
RDP

Steve Haynal

Aug 18, 2021, 11:55:45 PM8/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jayson,

Roger is correct. the newest gateware is still backwards compatible with older units. It adds support for the different PHY but retains support for the older PHY. The latest build of Hermes-Lite units with the different PHY must use this latest gateware (will be installed at Makerfabs) or later gateware and can't use earlier gateware. My intent is to have all variants of interest in this last stable release so there is no need for earlier gateware. Let me know if I missed any.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

Aug 20, 2021, 2:10:50 PM8/20/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Just a quick update on this next build. Makerfabs builds one or two sample units to make sure everything is working before building a full run of 100 or more units. Makerfabs has built these sample units and they are up and running. Makerfabs has now started the production build. This typically goes pretty quickly and I expect the first units will be tested and shipped before the end of next week. Makerfabs can usually build, test and ship all preordered units within one to two weeks of this point in the process.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Anthony N1IG

Aug 20, 2021, 2:25:51 PM8/20/21
to Hermes-Lite
That is great to read!

Anthony - N1IG

Vince Vielhaber

Aug 20, 2021, 3:03:43 PM8/20/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
Can't wait!!!

Vince - K8ZW.

--
Michigan VHF Corporation -- nobucks dot net
K8ZW - http://www.hamradio.fun

John Harper

Aug 21, 2021, 12:22:12 PM8/21/21
to Hermes-Lite
Is a notification or tracking number sent to buyers when the Hermes ships?

Tnx/73,
John AE5X

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2021, 12:41:35 PM8/21/21
to Hermes-Lite
I received email from Makerfabs last year when my HL2 shipped.  The email included a DHL tracking number; and the kit arrived in California 6 days later.
73,
Ron
n6ywu

keyboa...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2021, 1:03:19 PM8/21/21
to Hermes-Lite

Great to know the gateware will be covered. I reflash mine occasionally to experiment so I'll keep an eye open. I'd already ordered a second unit and was hoping I could try some of that. At least I thought I could set my older one up as a 10 band skimmer when not in active use. Also I've got a 6 meter transverter that should be fun to try once I get around to modifying it to use CL2 as a reference.

73,
Jayson
AA7NM

Björn SM0SBL

Aug 24, 2021, 7:05:31 AM8/24/21
to Hermes-Lite
Just received a shipping notification from Makerfab with DHL tracking number 😀
They are obviously done with the manufacturing and has started to ship.
Exciting!

m k

Aug 26, 2021, 9:16:17 AM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
I have info about shipping my HL2.

73, Mirek so5wd/sn5wd

Rolf Sommerhalder

Aug 26, 2021, 1:26:21 PM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
Just received a shipping notification from Makerfab with DHL tracking number 😀

Earlier today, me as well for a parcel with two kits.
73, Rolf HB9CWP

Vince Vielhaber

Aug 26, 2021, 1:26:21 PM8/26/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
I got a shipping notice overnite too! YAY!

Vince - K8ZW.
> <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Migration%20Guide%20-%20KSZ9021RN%20to%20KSZ9031RNX%20rev1.1.pdf> for
> details, Using the wrong ISET resistor value
> in the next build would have been quite the
> headache to deal with.
>
> As there are many new members to the group,
> I want to reiterate the way Hermes-Lite 2.0
> units are made, tested, sold and possibly
> repaired or replaced. Hermes-Lite 2.0 units
> are not made arbitrarily by some company in
> China and sold on AliExpress. I have a
> relationship with Makerfabs to manufacture
> and test the Hermes-Lite 2.0 as well as
> fulfill orders. As you can see from this
> thread, Makerfabs will not substitute parts
> marked "no substitution allowed" on the BOM
> unless I test and approve. Also, Makerfabs
> is very careful to use reputable suppliers
> for all parts, often ordering parts directly
> from places like Mouser and DigiKey.
> Furthermore, Makerfabs tests all units
> before shipping with a RaspberryPi-based
> test setup
> <https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Raspberry-Pi-Test-and-Program> created
> <https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Contributor-Guidelines>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/8a8fbe64-4fb9-4473-b212-f21e7e22b0b4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Don - N5SKT
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/9e28240a-cc51-4dc4-850f-a56f74635bdcn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/9e28240a-cc51-4dc4-850f-a56f74635bdcn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ronald Meier

Aug 26, 2021, 1:53:44 PM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
Knipsel.JPG

Brad Brooks WF7T

Aug 26, 2021, 5:44:32 PM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
Received tracking info as well. Looking forward to receiving soon!

73 Brad WF7T

Carlos Acosta

Aug 26, 2021, 9:49:52 PM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
Let the games begin......I am excited about this little project.
I got my Tech and General a number of months ago but only have a cheap 2m/70cm HT

I can finally get on HF bands now! Designing and building antennas and amplifiers is happening now.

Steve Haynal

Aug 26, 2021, 10:03:16 PM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

I am glad to see many have received their shipping notice. I heard from Makerfabs a few days ago that they have already sold out this build of 100 units. They have stopped taking orders. They plan to build another run.

Sorry for the late response but I've been away from reliable internet.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Jean-Baptiste GALLAUZIAUX

Aug 26, 2021, 11:51:11 PM8/26/21
to Hermes-Lite
I just got my FEDEX tracking number and am waiting for the 31st of August, if COVID does not hamper the delivery!
While waiting I prepared various softwares : Quisk, SDR Console, Thetis-x64, WSJTC, JS8Call, fldigi and FreeDV. Everything seems to be well set and working, just need to wait for a few more days...
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Stelio Plautz

Aug 27, 2021, 7:29:44 AM8/27/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
I just got my parcel.

73, Stelio OE3AOG

Anthony N1IG

Aug 27, 2021, 8:01:22 AM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite

I am a bit surprised that they only made 100, and thought that the demand would be much larger than that.

Anthony - N1IG

Ronald Meier

Aug 27, 2021, 8:52:45 AM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
Also delivered to NL.

Bill Hausmann

Aug 27, 2021, 9:17:27 AM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
I received my DHL tracking information but DHL is saying they haven't received the package. Anyone seeing that? Been like that for a couple days.

73,

-Bill
 N2WH

Jan Damme

Aug 27, 2021, 9:17:27 AM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
Unit arrived Fri afternoon in @home NL. (Was scheduled for monday 30/8)
Need excuses not to participate family affairs this weekend :-)
Jan/pa3abk

Vince Vielhaber

Aug 27, 2021, 9:22:29 AM8/27/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
You're not alone. I'm waiting for mine to get into DHL's hands as well.
Since nothing happened overnite, I don't expect anything to happen
before Sunday nite/Monday morning.

Vince - K8ZW.
> <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Migration%20Guide%20-%20KSZ9021RN%20to%20KSZ9031RNX%20rev1.1.pdf> for
> details, Using the wrong ISET resistor value in
> the next build would have been quite the
> headache to deal with.
>
> As there are many new members to the group, I
> want to reiterate the way Hermes-Lite 2.0 units
> are made, tested, sold and possibly repaired or
> replaced. Hermes-Lite 2.0 units are not made
> arbitrarily by some company in China and sold on
> AliExpress. I have a relationship with Makerfabs
> to manufacture and test the Hermes-Lite 2.0 as
> well as fulfill orders. As you can see from this
> thread, Makerfabs will not substitute parts
> marked "no substitution allowed" on the BOM
> unless I test and approve. Also, Makerfabs is
> very careful to use reputable suppliers for all
> parts, often ordering parts directly from places
> like Mouser and DigiKey. Furthermore, Makerfabs
> tests all units before shipping with
> a RaspberryPi-based test setup
> <https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Raspberry-Pi-Test-and-Program> created
> by me and Jim (N2ADR). All of this ensures a
> certain level of quality.
>
> Based on passed sales of over 700 units now, we
> have seen a field failure rate in the 1%-3%
> range for each build of 100 units. Makerfabs
> pays me ~$20 per unit sold which goes into a
> repair and R&D fund. Makerfabs also sends me
> boards they are not able to repair for me to
> repair and use as replacements. I currently have
> 6 replacement units ready plus 4 more which I
> think can be repaired. If you encounter a
> problem, please first post to this group for
> help. If the group determines it is faulty
> hardware, then I will either exchange your unit
> or help you through a repair, including covering
> costs for parts.
>
> The repair and R&D fund is in good shape. At one
> point I offered to use these funds to pay for
> some Hermes-Lite 2 related projects. That offer
> still stands. For example, we could use some of
> these funds to build 10 prototype units of a
> transverter add-on card. Please discuss on this
> group if you are interested. Please see
> the contributor guidelines
> <https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Contributor-Guidelines>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/8a8fbe64-4fb9-4473-b212-f21e7e22b0b4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Don - N5SKT
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/5d8d9b3d-5a92-44ed-9cf9-fc25fd90a623n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/5d8d9b3d-5a92-44ed-9cf9-fc25fd90a623n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Björn SM0SBL

Aug 27, 2021, 9:34:15 AM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
It took a day or two but I got the HL2 delivered today even though the estimated delivery was on Monday :o)
Just drilled the hole for the heat sink shim and will soon have everything connected.
Just be patient, sometimes it is just the system update at DHL that is somewhat slow.

Interesting enough this delivery from mainland china took around 3 days but I'm still waiting after a week for another package from GB that has got stuck at Swedens local crappy postal services... quicker from China than from our european neighbourghs because DHL know what they are doing and PostNord does not...

Björn SM0SBL

Aug 27, 2021, 9:35:14 AM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
I meant it took a day or two before it was marked as picked up by DHL...

Mehmet Raşid ÖĞÜNÇ

Aug 27, 2021, 4:35:25 PM8/27/21
to Hermes-Lite
 out of stock again :(

Rolf Sommerhalder

Aug 30, 2021, 7:22:34 AM8/30/21
to Hermes-Lite
DHL just dropped the parcel for me near Zurich in Switzerland which they had picked up in Saturday evening at Makerfab :-)

Steve Haynal

Sep 6, 2021, 9:53:51 PM9/6/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

In preparation for another build, Makerfabs informed me that the price of the EP4CE22E22C8N FPGA has gone way up. If you check Mouser, Digikey, www.octopart.com or www.findchips.com you can see that there is no stock at $35 or less. There is some stock on www.aliexpress.com but the reputation of those sources is unknown. Switching to any other FPGA would require significant PCB and gateware updates, plus other FPGAs are also hard to find currently given the global chip shortage. So we are not sure about any future Hermes-Lite 2 builds. Makerfabs may wait until it is easier to source parts, which may be a year or more. Makerfabs may raise the price significantly. Makerfabs may still find another good supplier for the FPGA with stock at a reasonable price. I will keep the group updated.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Jean-Baptiste GALLAUZIAUX

Sep 10, 2021, 3:28:03 AM9/10/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi all, my HL2 was shipped by Makerfabs on the 26th of August and arrived here in New Caledonia on Monday the 6th of September. It is now stored in the local Fedex facilities, which are closed to the public for at least the next two weeks, probably more, due to the fact that the island, which had been covid-free for the last 20 months is now invaded by this bloody virus and nearly all activity has stopped, people not authorized to move away from their house... I shall have to continue to improve my Python abilities, set finely my softwares and run by old FT897D.
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 12:25:19 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Are there a more recent and more available FPGAs, with all the (logic, memory, and IO, etc.) resources required to implement the rest of the current (well characterized and very reliable) HL2v9 design?  If so, would the footprints and power envelope of these FPGAs allow any of them to fit on the same size PCB as the current EP4CE22E22C8N, and how much more might they cost?  I note that the modest price increase of the last build did not reduce its popularity or leave Makerfabs with any unsold units.
73,
Ron
n6ywu

Steve Haynal

Sep 15, 2021, 12:58:06 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Ron,

The easiest substitution would be another member of the Cyclone IV family with at least 25K logic elements. Any package could be made to work.

After that, the newer Cyclone 10 LP family is pretty similar and an easy port. They have a part in the same 144 pin package as what we currently use but unfortunately it has 3 less usable IO pins. It would require a lot of shifting of routes to new pins to avoid the 3 unusable pins. Any larger package could be made to work.

I really like the Lattice ecp5 family since there are open source EDA flows for it. It is light on multipliers so you'd want the 45K part with at least 72 18x18 multipliers. It is a different architecture and would require significant porting. Again any package could be made to work.

Finally, Xilinx Artix-7 or Spartan-7 are good options. They too would require significant porting to a new architecture.
I don't think you can find any of these FPGAs in quantities of 100. You can check for stock on

Also, since this involves a significant change, I wouldn't want to do a one time run. It would have to be a migration to a new FPGA that helps in the long run and all future runs.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Art

Sep 15, 2021, 2:01:41 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Steve and the Group.
Have you thought about a more complex, but more technically improved version of the HL2? 2 pieces of ADC (you can solder 1 piece at will), an audio codec for local operation, a more commercially available LAN controller?
And the second question:
Please tell me what are the limitations in work if you install FPGA EP4CE15E22C8N? Does the new gateway support this FPGA? How many receivers? Will the AK4951 audio codec work?

среда, 15 сентября 2021 г. в 07:58:06 UTC+3, softerh...@gmail.com:

tak.k...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 3:24:38 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Art,

In my EP4CE15E22C8N fitting test results,
Both main gateware (hl2b5up_main) and
ak4951 variant (hl2b5up_ak4951v3) support maximum 2 receivers.
But, in ak4951 variant, FAN and HR-50 are needed to be dropped as FPGA
resource is not enough.

I don't recommend this FPGA as there is no spare FPGA resource.

73,
Taka,  JI1UDD

2021年9月15日水曜日 15:01:41 UTC+9 Art:

Art

Sep 15, 2021, 4:32:20 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Taka,
thanks for the answer. Please tell me what needs to be configured when compiling the gateway for FPGA EP4CE15E22C8N + AK4951 to work? Or does the gateway work with EP4CE15E22C8N / EP4CE22E22C8N without any configuration?

среда, 15 сентября 2021 г. в 10:24:38 UTC+3, tak.k...@gmail.com:

tak.k...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2021, 5:32:10 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Art,

In my test, I needed to change "NR 4" to "NR 2" to complete Quartus fitting without error.
In addition, I changed "FAN 1" to "FAN 0" and "UART 1" to "UART 0" in ak4951 valiant.
These parameters are in hermeslite.v in each valiant.

73,
Taka  JI1UDD
2021年9月15日水曜日 17:32:20 UTC+9 Art:

Roger David Powers

Sep 15, 2021, 10:51:01 AM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi, Steve.

My thought is a more expensive HL2 is better than no HL2, especially if the alternative is a year without any for sale and the price increase is of the order of $35 (not sure if that's what you are suggesting below, is it more?).

That being said, I already own two so am not in the market for more, and am not taking the financial risk of building more w/o knowing there is demand at the higher price point.

Yet overall I'm thinking there probably will be demand at a higher price point if it is not excessively high, and it may slow the sales but still it's better to have something to sell even if it takes longer to sell.

Regards,
RDP

Bill Cox

Sep 15, 2021, 11:43:59 AM9/15/21
to Roger David Powers, Hermes-Lite
Well, if there aren't any FPGAs available, then there is nothing to be done.  However, I agree that if a more expensive FPGA is available, that would be preferable.  From a personal point of view, I prefer more space in the FPGA to play around with anyway.

73, Bill ak3q

Roger David Powers

Sep 15, 2021, 12:07:58 PM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
Thank you Bill, I didn't read the original message very well, now I see the 'no stock available' part is the operative phrase, I kinda skipped to the $35 part.  Thanks for your support for the idea that we probably do have some wiggle room to increase price, and that having something available is desirable even if it means the price goes up.  I can't comment on the bigger FPGA idea, it's outside my field of expertise, yet we do seem to have a few interesting use cases that could use more space, such as skimming across N receivers with full filtering available, and maybe reduced bandwidth so FT4/FT8 skimming doesn't have the overhead of moving around so much data.  One of these days it seems I do need to learn enough about FPGAs to become a bit more dangerous!

Regards,
RDP

Tom Cooleen

Sep 15, 2021, 12:23:28 PM9/15/21
to Hermes-Lite
I ended up picking up another HL2 during the latest build cycle, as I believe that the ecosystem will continue to sprout and evolve in the foreseeable future.

That said - if there is an FPGA change on the horizon, that opened up the *possibility* for new or improved features, or a change that enhances the ADC or functionality - Count me in for at another please, even at a modest cost increase if needed.

I have one HL2 in service as a QRP rig, I have another is service as a much improved panadapter / GUI on my FT-DX101D, and one planned for possibly a resto-mod build on old HF rig with some additional boards acquired around it to tinker with.

The ARRL nailed it on the value the HL2 ecosystem brings to the Amateur Radio space. The build and experiment excitement of radio that the HL2 affords -  has been rekindled here in my shack - much like it was many years ago when I first got licensed.

A big KUDO to Steve for all his effort - and as important as Steve mentioned - Kudo's to all those involved in its viability and sustainability. It's great design and engineering, a solid manufacturing partner in MakerFabs, and a host of software providers.

Tom, K2TC

Neal Doxsee

Sep 16, 2021, 6:45:22 PM9/16/21
to Hermes-Lite

So the website shows out of stock as discussed in this thread, but it still looks like you can order it....  it's in my cart... but Steve
kf7o recent post says they won't make them for probably a year...
so if I order now and get charged, it may or may not ever come?

please clarify, or should they stop taking orders?

thank you
n7eal

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2021, 8:39:19 PM9/16/21
to Hermes-Lite
If EP4CE22E22's are just not going to be shipping for a year or more, and if a more expensive but larger superset FPGA were available in sufficient quantities, either now or significantly sooner (which may or may not be the case), I would be tempted to order another newer HL2, just because a larger FPGA would allow potential future development of even more gateware functionality (perhaps more flexible wide-band data, more IO options, more RX slices without removing TX, perhaps even a soft-processor, or FFT/spectrum pre-processor, etc.), while still maintaining compatibility with the current HL2 ecosystem.
73,
Ron
n6ywu

Steve Haynal

Sep 18, 2021, 1:10:53 AM9/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi N7EAL,

Makerfabs has about a dozen boards which didn't pass the test. They plan to repair and sell as many as they can. You might have stumbled on one of these being available.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

Sep 18, 2021, 1:16:12 AM9/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs says the price of the EP4CE22E22C8N has gone up from $25 in the last run (which was already a bit higher than usual) to $60 from reputable sources with stock. Makerfabs would have to raise the price of the HL2 board to $299. We could lower the repair budget contribution this round and bring the price down to the $279 to $284 range. Given the current IC shortage, this may only be viable for a build of another 100 units after which there may be no stock or even higher prices. What is the interest at that price point?

73,

Steve
kf7o

Chris Gerber

Sep 18, 2021, 4:05:57 AM9/18/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
Steve

Thanks, a good way.. Otherwise whats next..

73 Chris HB9BDM

Roger David Powers

Sep 18, 2021, 9:45:14 AM9/18/21
to Hermes-Lite
I tend to think of this chip shortage as a temporary thing and eventually things will go back to 'normal', but you and others are pointing out some aging parts will only get harder to find over time, may never get another production run as some factories have gone out of business or have been retooled, etc.

As I wrote earlier I think it's better to have a bit more expensive HL2 rather than no HL2, and still feel that way.  I don't know the status of the repair fund but would say $289 is a nice price point and a good compromise.

If these sell at the normal pace then we know we possibly can absorb one more price hit if needed.  If they sell at a slow pace, it gives the project more time to consider alternatives while still having some stock to sell to those wiling/able to pay a bit more.

Regards,
RDP

Bill Cox

Sep 18, 2021, 6:42:54 PM9/18/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
I think you should go for it, especially after the ARRL award.  Lots of people then go on to use the HL2 with exiting radios/amps, and/or something like the HardRock50.  Those people will still find the actual SDR radio to be one of the cheaper components.  Heck, I payed more than that for my fully assembled wire antenna.  For those folks, the increase in price won't stop them, IMO.

73, Bill ak3q

Mark Wild

Sep 19, 2021, 7:59:54 PM9/19/21
to Hermes-Lite
I agree with the others, a slightly more expensive HL2 is way better than no HL2 availability.

I’m not sure about others but I would vote for including 6m over pretty much any other integrated functions if parts need to be changed and opportunities arise.  Just wish I had the skills to help out.

Mark, G6DDX

Neal Doxsee

Sep 19, 2021, 8:56:08 PM9/19/21
to Hermes-Lite
Thanks for the reply Steve, It allowed me to put the out of stock items in the cart, but then would not allow checkout.

-neal
n7eal

Bill Cox

Sep 20, 2021, 7:04:53 PM9/20/21
to Mark Wild, Hermes-Lite
6m is above the nyquist frequency of the cable modem's A/D converter.  There isn't a simple upgrade to a better modem chip with a higher one.  Oversampling can work, but without an external analog high pass filter at about the nyquist frequency, you'll get aliasing into the receiver, and the 6m (50MHz to 53.5MHz) will overlap noise/signal from 24-ish MHz, including the 12M band.  Without the external filter, you literally could not tell if a LSB CQ was a 12m CQ, or an USB 6m CQ.

I am curious why you want the 6m band.  I'm fairly new to this hobby, so I haven't heard of the fun folks are having on 6m.  I find 10m is completely dead all the time, though that may just be my antenna and hillside.  It simply doesn't skip off the ionosphere recently.  and 6m won't either.  IIUC, it is really only for line-of-sight communication.  Is there  good fun I'm missing out on?

73, Bill qk3q

Mike Lewis

Sep 20, 2021, 7:24:03 PM9/20/21
to Bill Cox, Mark Wild, Hermes-Lite

Check out the Fred Fish Memorial Awards (FFMA) program for collecting every grid square in the country (over 400) on 6M  Also the number of 6M contacts in the ARRL and 6M fall and spring sprints, the July CQ VHF contests.  Huge.

Come June-ish every year 6m – aka “The Magic Band” experiences F2 and E-skip (ion cloud) openings, often with double hops permitting VHF contacts across the country and across the oceans.  When the sunspot cycle is up, the openings become longer for weeks or months.

In 2001 6M was open for nearly 3 months every day with contacts daily of thousands of miles with just a HT antenna at times.   These days digital modes like FT-8 permit communication on weak openings that voice and CW would not work with.  As a result people like me have dedicated rigs watching FT8 24/7, or Meteor scatter.  Also 6M EME is on the uptake.

I have a 6M Xvtr on my HL2 at times, switched with a 2M Xvtr.  My HL2 rarely sees HF band use.

  • Mike
  • K7MDL

Mark Wild

Sep 20, 2021, 8:33:15 PM9/20/21
to Hermes-Lite
Agree with what Mike said, 6m is a really interesting band that can get pretty busy at peak Sporadic E periods but has highlights at other times from various scatter modes, aurora etc.

A HL2+ with 6m would enable concurrent receiving on the two 6m FT8 frequencies, 6m FT4 or MSK144 and also be able to tune 6m SSB too. Obviously as well as transmitting on the desired mode/frequency.  It would be perfect for 24x7 6m band watching.
The SunSDR2 Pro is the nearest alternative SDR that could do that but for $1700 and it only supports proprietary software!

As a 'lockdown restarter' after twenty five years away from Ham Radio the HL2 and available open source software has really impressed me and shown me how I want to use radios.

Mark, G6DDX
It is loading more messages.