Does piHPSDR support multiple i2c I/O expanders

john hutchison

Jun 18, 2024, 7:28:50 PMJun 18
to Hermes-Lite
Does piHPSDR support multiple I/O expanders if each has its proper address set?
Found this repo https://github.com/F6ITU/piHPSDR_Controller that has modern gerbers, and a full kicad file structure. The author opted to only route and drill for single axis encoders with push buttons.

If piHPSDR can address multiple I/O expanders, then I can install dual axis with switches, and just bend the second encoders pins to solder to, and build an expansion board with proper resistor network and different i2c address.

Marc OLANIE

Jun 19, 2024, 10:18:07 AM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to john hutchison, Hermes-Lite

Hi John et All

As indicated in the Readme file, the pcb is the work of Mat DB9MAT (I prefer to focus on the OpenHPSDR extensions)

If you refer to the G0orx diagram "PiHPSDR_Controller_MK_II_Rev.2", you'll see that the MCP23017 I/O extender is only used for the push buttons.

The dual encoders are directly managed by the Raspberry pi's gpio. In practice, therefore, no components need to be added (apart from a few pull-up resistors), but new tracks need to be routed from the raspi to the 'second encoders'. In Kicad, this is not a hard job.

… and you don’t need to patch the PiHPSDR code ;-)

But there is an easier way to do it :

The Gerber files for the PiHPSDR "dual encoder" version have been released by K9ivb ( https://www.k9ivb.net/PiHPSDR_Project/index.htm ) and can be downloaded from

https://www.k9ivb.net/PiHPSDR_Project/PiHPSDR_MK_II_Rev.2_JLCPCB_Gerber.zip

The main power supply circuit is again available in small quantities (I got some of them at Mouser), but can be replaced by a simple step down converter.

You can also refer to the "5-inch screen" version by Kjell LA2NI

https://github.com/LA2NI/PiHPSDR-Controller-V.5_inch/tree/main

(also in Kicad)

Or try building a much more advanced project: Andromeda

https://github.com/laurencebarker/Andromeda_front_panel/blob/master/pictures/Kjell%201st%20prototype/20190321_190140.jpg

available on Laurence G8NJJ's repository https://github.com/laurencebarker/Andromeda_front_panel

With my 73

Marc f6itu

Does piHPSDR support multiple I/O expanders if each has its proper address set?

Found this repo https://github.com/F6ITU/piHPSDR_Controller that has modern gerbers, and a full kicad file structure. The author opted to only route and drill for single axis encoders with push buttons.

If piHPSDR can address multiple I/O expanders, then I can install dual axis with switches, and just bend the second encoders pins to solder to, and build an expansion board with proper resistor network and different i2c address.

john hutchison

Jun 19, 2024, 8:18:37 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to Hermes-Lite
Thanks for pointing that out. Looked back over the pcb, and there are 9 unused pullups already routed to the Pi header on the build I mentioned. Will try to remix that for the encoder swap. Thanks again, this will save a bit of work.