Hermes-Lite Repair Process

Steve Haynal

Apr 29, 2023, 1:37:13 AM4/29/23
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Makerfabs and I reviewed and agreed on our preferred repair process. This is captured on a wiki page:

Buyers from the latest batch, please follow this if you think there are any problems with your Hermes-Lite.

73,

Steve
kf7o

m hall

Apr 29, 2023, 12:08:11 PM4/29/23
to Hermes-Lite
I am new to the Hermes Lite 2. Unfortunately, I am not as technically astute as are most of the Hermes Lite users. Is there something in particular that is not right with the latest batch? I received mine 2 days ago and it is still in the box as I have been extremely busy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
KN4IDB

John Williams

Apr 29, 2023, 12:57:40 PM4/29/23
to m hall, Hermes-Lite
Should be just fine. Less that 1% fallout rate in the past. Follow the wiki carefully on the shim install and give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2023, at 11:08 AM, m hall <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am new to the Hermes Lite 2. Unfortunately, I am not as technically astute as are most of the Hermes Lite users. Is there something in particular that is not right with the latest batch? I received mine 2 days ago and it is still in the box as I have been extremely busy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

radi...@mail.com

Apr 29, 2023, 7:33:36 PM4/29/23
to Hermes-Lite
Mike

I have two HL2s. The first one I purchased over three years ago and have given it a hard life (not very kind to it in the early days by not being very careful with SWR etc. Rush to get on air in the excitement!). The second one I just purchased in this last batch. (Incidentally, I chose the the cheapest "airmail" option and it arrived superquick in the regular UK mail).

Both units perform flawlessly. As an aside I can highly recommend SDR Console as a very nice highly polished companion software for the HL2 with a slick and professional GUI and a very active support group who will gladly help you with any problems:

73

Max

Steve Haynal

May 15, 2023, 11:56:45 AM5/15/23
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

This is a reminder of the repair process:

Please do not send any HL2 to me without following these guidelines. Someone recently sent a unit without any discussion on this list to my QRZ address. That address is not correct.

All issues must be discussed and diagnosed on this list before repair is authorized. It is not a user's decision alone to authorize repair, no matter how experienced the user believes he or she is.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

May 22, 2023, 1:31:17 AM5/22/23
to Hermes-Lite
Hi All,

Due to a recent incident, I have updated the repair guidelines once again and wanted to make sure all HL2 users in this Facebook group are aware. Please see:

https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Repair

Also see the main Hermes-Lite 2 sales page where Makerfabs links to these guidelines:

https://www.makerfabs.com/hermes-lite-2.html

This is not a change, but a codification and clarification of what has happened more organically and by gentlemen's agreement in the past. In particular, how the repair guidelines interact with the Makerfabs 60 day warranty are spelled out. This is not an additional warranty, but instructions on how to obtain assistance and resolution with any hardware problems, which for some cases might culminate in a warranty claim.

I have worked with Makerfabs over the last ten years to produce the Hermes-Lite 2. One concern Makerfabs had was that they have very little expertise in RF and analog. They were worried about handling repairs and returns. That is how we came up with the repair process: all problems to be screened in the Google Group before returning a unit to Makerfabs. It is a courtesy I do for Makerfabs to lighten their load and ease their concerns. This keeps costs down for customers. Also, it helps us identify potential build problems. For example, Makerfabs switched AD9866 suppliers for the build in April since in the previous build we diagnosed 2 AD9866 failures in the field, and more in testing before shipping. Finally, returning a unit to Makefabs can be expensive due to physical distances, as well as possibly a lengthy and difficult process. There is at least one historical incident which attests to this. Following the guidelines helps customers avoid having to return HL2 units to Makerfabs.

73,

Steve
kf7o