IO Assignments

Steve Haynal

Oct 13, 2019, 2:20:07 AM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

Since I plan to build and test my end plates with fan PWM and CW sidetone PWM soon, I wanted to create a tentative IO assignment for the remaining unused IO. This includes assignments for the upcoming UART TXD and RXD. Please provide feedback and any suggested changes. I did look at Taka's work, but he is repurposing some LED IO plus has the audio codec, so I didn't see much sensible overlap and sharing possible. See the wiki page:

Claudio, I did move the 2 TX envelope outputs. They are still on 2.5V pins as they were before. Is that acceptable? Will you need to use level shifters for these? What max frequency do you expect? One is an inverted copy? Can the inverted version be created with a tiny inverter to save one IO pin?

73,

Steve
kf7o

in3otd

Oct 13, 2019, 2:46:51 AM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Steve,

Claudio, I did move the 2 TX envelope outputs. They are still on 2.5V pins as they were before. Is that acceptable? Will you need to use level shifters for these? What max frequency do you expect? One is an inverted copy? Can the inverted version be created with a tiny inverter to save one IO pin?

I think the actual PWM output level is not that important, as it will likely be used to drive some other digital inputs or interface circuit so a buffer or level shifter will be used anyway. The original Hermes used a 3.3 V I/O for that but as you know there are no 3.3 V I/O available on the H-Lv2.
The PWM frequency is fixed at 240 kHz; I seem to remember I read somewhere that there were plans/ideas for Hermes to increase that but AFAIK 240 kHz is what is in the current Hermes code.
I've added an inverted PWM output only because it could be helpful in some limited cases and since I reassigned an original LVDS P output for the standard PWM signal I thought reassigning also the N output would be ok, but keeping this inverted output is certainly not a requirement.

For me it would still be fine to move the EER PWM pin(s) around, as I'm not really using it currently, hi. Not sure how many people are experimenting with that at the moment.

73 de Claudio, DK1CG / IN3OTD

Jonas Sanamon

Oct 13, 2019, 5:55:46 AM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve & All,

In order to give the HL2 its full potential as truly *remote* rig, I think it's important to cater for the ATU needs which I think is often required if using more than one band. I think in order for this to be reliable there is a need for one "tune start" output pin and one "tune OK" input pin.
This is the functionality I miss most at the moment  Just my $0.02.

Best Regards,
Jonas

Reid Campbell

Oct 13, 2019, 7:21:40 AM10/13/19
to herme...@googlegroups.com
+1

Cheers

Reid Gi8TME/Mi0BOT

Steve Haynal

Oct 13, 2019, 4:55:58 PM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jonas,

Okay. These are used in conjunction with the UART? Is there an ATU with documentation that I should consider a good representative ATU to support? I would like to read up a bit more.

We are running low on IO pins, but I think there is a way to support this.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Steve Haynal

Oct 13, 2019, 5:01:26 PM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
What starts the tune? Do you now need a button in software or can that be done with a UART command? Why must there be a tune OK? Can't you just refer to the SWR after a short time and see what the match was?

73,

Steve
kf7o

Graeme Jury

Oct 13, 2019, 7:01:19 PM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

The button to initiate a tune could be the tune button and detecting the leading edge could be used to initiate the tune process. The tune process on the ATU can take take from a second or so to several seconds so an indication an indication that tuning is finished is desirable so the tune button can be toggled and in the case of Quisk the software could be modified so the the Tune OK signal automatically toggles the tune button. The other issue is that a tune may not have been possible due to the swr being out of range of the tuner and again you need to toggle the tune button but furnish a warning so that you don't attempt to go to high power for those with high power linears.

UART commands would be fine and for remote tuners (mine is eventually going to the masthead) RS485 will go the distance. For some commercial tuners a microprocessor may need to be used for an interface to get the right signals to and from the tuner.

Signals required
Initiate Tune - Could be ascii e.g. T1
Send Frequency - F3508000
Receive Tune - T2 if tune OK or T3 if tune not achieved

The UART probably won't talk directly to most tuners but there can be some fun group activity developing Arduino, PIC or the like interfaces to the various commercial tuners. We would need our radio console developers to come on board too. Jim can already control his tuner with a custom hardware file but it is for a specific tuner and it is a big ask for the console developers to support a list of tuners so I suggest a standard spec for the UART and the user does the rest.

73, Graeme ZL2APV
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to herme...@googlegroups.com.

Steve Haynal

Oct 13, 2019, 7:41:27 PM10/13/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi All,

I have updated the IO tentative assignment wiki to include tune request and tune acknowledge signals as requested. The assignment shows that we can do it, but we are out of outputs. I will need more guidance and eventual help with testing this as I have no automatic tuner.

73,

Steve
kf7o

K Jones

Oct 13, 2019, 8:08:23 PM10/13/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Steve,

I have a LDG AT-1000ProII and attached is a PDF for the meter protocol for the LDG AT-1000ProII / AT-600ProII units for your research in these regards that might be interesting to you.  Also I have included a PDF regarding a USB serial unit complete with an optocoupler for added electrical isolation to an expensive SDR radio units that offers further food for thought on the subject. Living here in the lighting capital of the world we have to really have guard against Thor's hammer.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/6453f7e3-8307-4fe2-9c15-2e62bf57b5aa%40googlegroups.com.
MeterProtocol.pdf
USB to TTL Serial Module Power isolation Optocoupler.pdf

Jonas Sanamon

Oct 14, 2019, 2:06:00 AM10/14/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

No, the Icom ATU interface does not use UART, but a very simple 2 pin interface. This is an example of how to make a simple manual interface to an ICOM ATU:

If we want to use the HL2 remotely, we should have the possibility to when pressing the Tune/Spot button in for instance Quisk, have the HL2 pull down the voltage of Tune_start (white wire), and then transmitting a tune carrier. If Tune_key (green wire) goes low, then stop TX when Tune_key (green wire) input goes high. (if we are really low on input pins, perhaps it could suffice with monitoring the SWR value in order to have a clue as to when tuning is finished)

I know there are other brands of auto tuners on the market, and there are surely different opinions on which make/model is the best.
I have tried a few, and in my opinion the ones with broadest tuning range that consistently tunes different antennas are the Icoms. I think that the fact that there are lots if adapters/interfaces that allow other brand transceivers to use Icom tuners (but few/none? for connecting other tuners to Icom transceivers) is an indication of their quality.
As long as we get the Tune_start signal out and start transmitting regardless of the status of Tune_key it should also be possible to connect also LDG and possibly other ATUs

Best Regards,
Jonas

Sebastien F4GRX

Oct 14, 2019, 4:10:42 AM10/14/19
to Jonas Sanamon, Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

Hello,

This board is an SDR, which means it should be as flexible as possible, not only for radio demodulation, but also for the connectable peripherals.

My impression is that, if too many hardcoded device-specific appendages are added, it will start to look like an expensive commercial transceiver.

IMHO the key is provide the required info for appendages, but not necessarily in a predefined known format. A well planned protocol seems better, even if that requires more work before real fun can be had.

For example, any auto tune unit can be attached via a simple adapter board if the HL2 just emits the current tx frequency. Then a small PIC board could be designed to turn that info into specific commands.

The UART could use a generic protocol with frame delimiters, a command byte, and parameters.

I believe it would be more in the spirit of a Software Defined Radio.

I am remembering how the ethernet protocols have hard-coded bitfield for specific hardware all over the place:

A properly designed serial protocol would be more modern and use more generic concepts.

What I mean is, dont use a bit to "switch Penelope antenna switch number 4 to HF port". Instead, set GPIO number 12 to high, and host software can be configured to do all the user friendly interface stuff. If I want my custom Penelope HF port on GPIO 13, that should be configurable in the host software, too :)

Which, for the present matter, translates to: please dont define a gpio to "start autotune on the Agilentronix 4242b firmware v3-2015 Auto tuning box" on all HL2 of the world :)

:)

Sebastien

Roger Critchlow

Oct 14, 2019, 7:42:33 AM10/14/19
to Hermes-Lite
I have an Elecraft T1 automatic tuner.  It has a TRS jack for remote control.  Pull Ring low 500ms to initiate tune, The tuner will send a 50ms high pulse on Tip to request band data as a four bit word sent back on Tip.  It uses length of pulse to distinguish 0 and 1 bits.  You're supposed to watch the SWR to figure out when the tune is done and whether it succeeded.

-- rec -- ad5dz --

Sebastien F4GRX

Oct 14, 2019, 8:41:14 AM10/14/19
to Hermes-Lite
this is definitely a very specific and proprietary protocol !

Sebastien
> [...]
>>
>> Hi Group,
>>
>> Since I plan to build and test my end plates with fan PWM and
>> CW sidetone PWM soon, I wanted to create a tentative IO
>> assignment for the remaining unused IO. This includes
>> assignments for the upcoming UART TXD and RXD. Please provide
>> feedback and any suggested changes. I did look at Taka's
>> work, but he is repurposing some LED IO plus has the audio
>> codec, so I didn't see much sensible overlap and sharing
>> possible. See the wiki page:
>>
>> https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/IO
>>
>> Claudio, I did move the 2 TX envelope outputs. They are still
>> on 2.5V pins as they were before. Is that acceptable? Will
>> you need to use level shifters for these? What max frequency
>> do you expect? One is an inverted copy? Can the inverted
>> version be created with a tiny inverter to save one IO pin?

Steve Haynal

Oct 14, 2019, 11:51:27 PM10/14/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi All,

Yes, it would be very difficult to support everyone's favorite peripheral and use model. Now that 100 units were added this year, many people are requesting these types of finishing touches such as ATU support, PA support, better CW, etc. With another 100 units to be shipped this month, I only expect these types of small finishing requests to be more common.

I would like to have support for the most common and simplest of these requests in the gateware. I want them to be modular in the Verilog, with the ability to turn on or off when building the gateware. I would like to see custom endplates that support these basics with the fewest and easiest to solder components. The 2 layer endplate PCBs are very easy and inexpensive to respin. My hope is that the basic support I add can be an easy example to follow for those wanting to add slightly different support.

Taka has already done work on HR50 control (very popular PA) and autotuner (ICOM AH-4) support. I will just reuse his autotuner support. It follows the simple two signal protocol that Jonas describes. I like the simplicity of this.

I don't have the time or luxury to define an entirely new protocol now. It is also difficult since I want to keep this project compatible with legacy software. There is already a bit in the protocol to request autotune. I will use that.

73,

Steve
kf7o

> [...]
>>
>>                 73,
>>
>>                 Steve
>>                 kf7o
>>

>>                 --
>>                 To view this discussion on the web visit
>>                 https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/7e05d6e8-0188-49e7-af49-cde5352db80e%40googlegroups.com
>>                 <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/7e05d6e8-0188-49e7-af49-cde5352db80e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>>         --
>>         To view this discussion on the web visit
>>         https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/d2031a8d-8e7f-4f93-9725-0c5be68fe9df%40googlegroups.com
>>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/d2031a8d-8e7f-4f93-9725-0c5be68fe9df%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit

gerry kavanagh

Oct 21, 2019, 7:36:56 AM10/21/19
to Hermes-Lite
Icom ATU protocol also works with LDG and MFJ auto-tuners. It seems to have become a de-facto standard.
There is also the possibility of intercepting with a micro for translation to any other more esoteric tuner protocols.
/ Gerry

> [...]
>>
>>         --
>>         To view this discussion on the web visit
>>         https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/d2031a8d-8e7f-4f93-9725-0c5be68fe9df%40googlegroups.com
>>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/d2031a8d-8e7f-4f93-9725-0c5be68fe9df%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>>     --
>>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/CAABBs1V365QbmUtODSxT0mqgxRGgpmmsHOuf9WE3EOhfnFhZQg%40mail.gmail.com
>>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/CAABBs1V365QbmUtODSxT0mqgxRGgpmmsHOuf9WE3EOhfnFhZQg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit

Jonas Sanamon

Nov 22, 2019, 6:00:54 AM11/22/19
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

For the ATU pins:
 is the "ATU tune acknowledge" (meaning tuning in progress) signal handled in SW/GW as active low? (that is the way the tuner expects it, with the radio supplying pull-up and the tuner sinking current while tuning)
 for the ATU tune request, i think it might be best to use that as active high and use a transistor when interfacing to outside world to sink the current in order to start the tuning.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Jonas

Steve Haynal

Nov 23, 2019, 11:04:55 PM11/23/19
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jonas,

For the "ATU tune acknowlege" I was expecting to use the level shifter configuration to 12V and that the tuner would provide the pull-up. If that is not the case, the board is setup so that pull-up resistor can be added via point to point wiring for select inputs. I will also see if I can fit in a pull-up footprint for one or two channels.

For the "ATU tune request" I was also expecting to use the level shifter configuration to 12V. But the channel is dual purpose and can be stuffed with nud3124 or other mosfet for an output-only configuration if requried.

73,

Steve
kf7o