Recycling Chips ADC, FPGA?

dial-a-monkey

Oct 29, 2021, 12:15:04 PM10/29/21
to Hermes-Lite

Hi everyone,

This might be a bit out of scope of this group? ..( apologies is yes, Admins;)

With the global chip shortage and the Hermes group buy production on hold , it crossed my mind if there might be some way to identify what electronic equipment contains what chips-sets.

I imagine this might be in the too hard box, but I thought it would also be interesting for a range of RF projects to recycle chips from old equipment.

So for the Hermes specifically - I wondered if I could identify which cable modems might contain the AD9866BCPZ ADC chips? or what type of old electronics I might find the EP4CE22E22C8N FPGA chip in..

I guess the only practical approach would be to just tear down a lot of old equipment or scour any available service manuals.

Thoughts? input anyone.

Art

Oct 29, 2021, 1:52:24 PM10/29/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hello.
It may be interesting to change  for:
-ADC: LT2208 ( 16-Bit, 130Msps  + LT6400 (or similar) + PE4306
-DAC: DAC904E (AD9744)
-CODEC: WM8731 (optional)
-FPGA: EP4CE15 or EP4CE22 (EP4CE15 - 2 receivers and codec or 3 receivers without codec, EP4CE22 - 3 receivers and codec or 4 receivers without codec)
-LAN: LAN8720 (100Mbit/s) or VSC8601 (100/1000Mbit/s)
These are the chips you can buy in China and some other vendors. The price will be low for all components. Moreover, the parameters of the receiver will be at a high level.
I ask those interested in the group to speak. It might be possible to create a separate group on this issue.
Basically, the question is in the program code. But there are already some developments on this score. All that remains is to upgrade.

пятница, 29 октября 2021 г. в 19:15:04 UTC+3, dial-a-monkey:

Art

Oct 29, 2021, 2:02:25 PM10/29/21
to Hermes-Lite
Please see the list of ADCs for comparison. You can choose interesting options. But I think that the modern LT2208 ADC is one of the best options.
пятница, 29 октября 2021 г. в 20:52:24 UTC+3, Art:
ADC_Compare.png