Share you optimal NR2 settings

Kurt V.

Jul 7, 2024, 4:48:22 PMJul 7
to Hermes-Lite
Hi all,

I'd like to know what are your optimal NR2 settings?
1. Do you guys use Pre-AGC or Post-AGC?
2. With the gain method, what is your preferred option, Linear, Log, Gamma or the new Trained.
3. What is your preferred Threshold?

It is a pitty no information is available for the different options.

De ON7OFF

Scott Strehle

Jul 7, 2024, 8:40:29 PMJul 7
to kvla...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com

I second that notion.  The nr2 option on thetis is what has made me not turn on my ftdz10 since I received my hl2.  I also would like to know what people have done to play around with nr2. And possibly what is behind it and how it works.
I was also listening to someone talk the other night about the latest beta of thetis for an anan radio which has some new options for filtering out static crashes.
Scott
Kj7rhp

Robert Muir

Jul 8, 2024, 4:31:43 AMJul 8
to Hermes-Lite
Interested in this also, I found "trained" setting works brilliant on medium to strong signals but on weaker signals (where it's needed most) clips the audio or silents it completely so I have to revert to "linear". haven't changed any other settings so awaiting reply to Kurt's query

Bob
ei3grb

RdWing

Jul 8, 2024, 5:59:02 PMJul 8
to Hermes-Lite
Gamma is the original/preferred setting for NR2 if I recall.
Trained is the new method.

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 6:00:08 PMJul 8
to Robert Muir, Hermes-Lite
Trained NR2 is brilliant !
Example of what training can do do make
signals more intelligible in noisy environments
image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2024, at 1:31 AM, Robert Muir <robertm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Interested in this also, I found "trained" setting works brilliant on medium to strong signals but on weaker signals (where it's needed most) clips the audio or silents it completely so I have to revert to "linear". haven't changed any other settings so awaiting reply to Kurt's query

Scott Strehle

Jul 8, 2024, 7:29:02 PMJul 8
to wb6d...@icloud.com, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com

I loaded the beta version last night and was playing around with it. Like others have said it makes a difference with strong to medium signals but not as well on weak ones.
I am not in front of thetis now so I don't remember what the adjustment below trained was but I didn't see a response when I changed it. I would like some info on the other adjustments to the left side of the screen and below.
Scott
Kj7rhp

image0.jpeg

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 8:14:07 PMJul 8
to Scott Strehle, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com

John Williams

Jul 8, 2024, 8:29:28 PMJul 8
to Michael Aust, Scott Strehle, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com
Michael, can you screenshot the settings page?
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2024, at 7:14 PM, 'Michael Aust' via Hermes-Lite <herme...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Good NR2 example

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 9:33:28 PMJul 8
to John Williams, Scott Strehle, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 9:56:06 PMJul 8
to John Williams, Scott Strehle, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com
Here a video that goes into NR2 settings

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 10:05:42 PMJul 8
to John Williams, Scott Strehle, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com
NR2 settings below
image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2024, at 6:56 PM, Michael Aust <wb6d...@icloud.com> wrote:

Here a video that goes into NR2 settings

Kurt V.

Jul 8, 2024, 10:45:04 PMJul 8
to Hermes-Lite
Thanks for all guys contributing to thiw thread. It would be good to have a wiki. What does each of these settings do.
And another question I have: I have experimeted with RM noise AI before. And I know it was made for a bandwidth RX of 2.8khz. Does this new trained version work with any bandwidth or should we stick to the 2.8khz bandwidth to get the optimal performance.

What is the trained threshold actually do?

See you all on the air
de ON7OFF

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 10:52:30 PMJul 8
to John Williams, Scott Strehle, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com

Kurt V.

Jul 8, 2024, 11:14:37 PMJul 8
to Hermes-Lite
Let me reveal my optimum settings.
These settings for me will take away the unconfortable cuttoff when the signal is very weak (boarderline audability without NR engaged). It will bring a little bit of hiss when the signal is weak, but it will filter out the maximum hiss and still give that "weak signal feeling" to the signal.

Please continue to share your settings, and find the best settings.
Screenshot 2024-07-09 050813.pngScreenshot 2024-07-09 050931.png

Michael Aust

Jul 8, 2024, 11:56:35 PMJul 8
to Kurt V., Hermes-Lite
Kurt
Same here and also recommend this as well Network Throttle Index Tweak within Thetis
image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/275e77d8-71bd-4e60-a0be-aaa279370eaan%40googlegroups.com.
<Screenshot 2024-07-09 050931.png>
<Screenshot 2024-07-09 050813.png>

Robert Muir

Jul 9, 2024, 3:22:10 AMJul 9
to Hermes-Lite
Thanks Kurt, Since I started with  hl2 & thesis your advise and guidance has been invaluable . for someone with severely impaired hearing loss like myself getting the last bit of audio intelligence is vital . the latest addition of nr2 "out of he box" certainly does not do so this , This is not just an issue with me others have found similar and I have emails from other people on here suggesting settings we try .

Thanks for your email of a few days ago & hopefully catch you on air some evening for a rag chew

Bob
ei3grb

Michael Aust

Jul 9, 2024, 3:34:00 AMJul 9
to Robert Muir, Hermes-Lite
NL2 works great 👍
image0.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 9, 2024, at 12:22 AM, Robert Muir <robertm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Kurt, Since I started with  hl2 & thesis your advise and guidance has been invaluable . for someone with severely impaired hearing loss like myself getting the last bit of audio intelligence is vital . the latest addition of nr2 "out of he box" certainly does not do so this , This is not just an issue with me others have found similar and I have emails from other people on here suggesting settings we try .

Robert Muir

Jul 9, 2024, 10:15:43 AMJul 9
to Hermes-Lite
signal is 9 +10 no need for nr

Jimmy Feliciano

Jul 9, 2024, 8:35:08 PMJul 9
to robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com

Won't open

On Tue, Jul 9, 2024, 8:34 PM Jimmy Feliciano <felicia...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am having problem with the latest updade 3.6 dev 4 i install it and when I try to open give me this massage

Nuno Lopes

Jul 10, 2024, 7:20:49 PMJul 10
to Jimmy Feliciano, robertm...@gmail.com, herme...@googlegroups.com
Hi guy's

How about to share our configs of all the tabs in the Thetis Setup, like on a wiki page or on the group create a folder with call, and is config with screenshots of all the tabs, so the ones that arrive could set it up faster, and start from there.

--
73  Nuno
  CT2IRY

Roger Hickerson

Jul 10, 2024, 8:34:06 PMJul 10
to Hermes-Lite

I’m finding that, for the weakest signal situations using the new NR2, setting the AGC response time on the main screen to Fast works a lot better than Slow. Slow seems to garble the speech on weak signals.

Robert Muir

Jul 11, 2024, 4:03:13 AMJul 11
to Hermes-Lite
Thanks for that Roger, I have found playing around with RX EQ and Rx filter settings has helped pull in the weak signals also , I can't give settings as such because they can vary for each signal, A bit of hassle I know but worth the effort if it enable a qso to take place.

Bob
ei3grb