Hermes Lite 2 on Facebook

RN RA

Mar 28, 2021, 12:46:59 PM3/28/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi,  if you use Facebook join Hermes Lite 2 knowledge sharing group

73 to all

Ed PY2RN

Steve Haynal

Mar 30, 2021, 12:36:24 AM3/30/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the initiative, but what are your reasons for another forum? For better or worse, there is a lot of history in this Google Group. I have nothing against other forums, but I personally will continue support only in this Google Group.

73,

Steve
kf7o

J P Watters

Mar 30, 2021, 12:56:52 AM3/30/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

Steve and Ed,

I also have found that functionality of Google Groups the best fit for the HL2 hardware and software.

But it someone wanted to become the Hermes Lite 2.0 Evangelist on Facebook or other social media, referring them to native Google Group posts.

It only could expand sharing the wealth of knowledge

..jpw

J P Watters

Sebastien F4GRX

Mar 30, 2021, 4:58:12 AM3/30/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite

facebook is a closed platform owned by a private business not known for his respect of user rights. In other words, it is a walled garden that requires users to reveal half of their private life to become a member. They require your full name and phone number to join. What about my blood type?

I am no part of facebook and have no intention to become one in order to get HL2 project details. I am not the only one in this situation...

email is an ubiquitous open platform that is accessible to anyone with internet access, whatever the provider. It's a better way, more inclusive and more respectful of user rights.

I know, no one forces me to join this group, I'm very well aware of that point. But the point is not just about me. it's about this whole project community. A secondary generic HL2 group (on facebook or somewhere else) would dilute information and prevent a good part of HL2 users from accessing HL2 relevant information.

Sebastien

Sebastien F4GRX

Mar 30, 2021, 5:01:42 AM3/30/21
to Hermes-Lite

I tend to disagree. it would segregate users, because the good use you mention is unrealistic. Sooner or later technical information would end up shared in this group only, and information posted on facebook is not available to non-facebook members.

So no, it does not expand the wealth of knowledge.

I know I am overly vocal about what might well be a non-issue, but I think that it's always useful to warn users of what facebook really is.

Sebastien

Eduardo Erlemann

Mar 30, 2021, 6:20:58 AM3/30/21
to Hermes-Lite, Steve Haynal
Hi Steve, the objective is to complement not replace.

It is simple, I do use Facebook and kind like it and I believe many others too. It is more visual and "immediate" rather than email lists, I was surprised when I searched and found no group related to HL2 so I decided to create one, such there are many others about other hardware and software.

I am glad to join both, this email list and also on FB, certainly the interest on HL will keep growing since it is fantastic and deserves lots participation, support and attention.

73
Ed PY2RN

Peter Johnson

Mar 30, 2021, 11:13:45 AM3/30/21
to Sebastien F4GRX, Hermes-Lite
Hi Sebastien
I totally agree with in you every way.
Facebook is not needed for the Hermes Lite project we have perfectly good forum plus wiki.

73 Peter M1BCV

Probir

Mar 30, 2021, 12:13:24 PM3/30/21
to Peter Johnson, Sebastien F4GRX, Hermes-Lite
Yes, I too agree with you there is no point forming a separate group for Hermes lite – THIS WILL BE DEMORALIZING AND DEMOTIVATING

Best regards,
Probir VU2BQF

Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: Hermes Lite 2 on Facebook

Hi Sebastien

Reid Campbell

Mar 30, 2021, 12:33:14 PM3/30/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
I'll just jump in with my twopence worth and agree that having a discussion group on FB will be counter productive as information will spread between the two forums.

Can Facebook be made read only and be an advertising site for HL2? Ed could maintain it with information pointing to the WiKi and Google forum but no one could post to it, forcing all discussion on this group.

I understand the motives for creating the FB group but I think it should be knocked on the head at an early point and used as a portal to here.

Cheers

Reid
Gi8TME/Mi0BOT

Eduardo Erlemann

Mar 30, 2021, 2:11:55 PM3/30/21
to herme...@googlegroups.com
I find this Google email lists particularly difficult to follow on the topics, missing the defunct Yahoo Groups :(

I did not see my response below to KF7O published on the list, so I am re-sending it, apologies if it is repeated.

Hopefully for those who use Facebook already the HL2 will be an option to exchange some ideas and information, for those who do not like Facebook please note that this email list will keep on!

Regards, 73

Ed PY2RN.

Mar 31, 2021, 12:06:50 AM3/31/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Ed,

I tend to agree with those saying that multiple groups just make it confusing for people to know where to find help. This is not a criticism of you or your initiative. Maybe a Facebook page/group can be a way to point people to this group for technical discussions and help.

I also don't think of nor use Google Groups as an email list. I always use the web-based GUI interface to Google Groups when reading and writing posts. This allows for easy insertion of links, pictures, etc., similar to Facebook. Have you tried it?

73,

Steve
kf7o

Probir

Mar 31, 2021, 2:28:44 AM3/31/21
to Steve Haynal, Hermes-Lite
Why forming another group until unless one wish to COME TO LIMELIGHT or some other vest age unknown interest.

We should have the gratitude towards the Existing group which has so many lovely members including hard core experimenters and hobbyist and home brewers.
The thinking of forming of another Group is SICK and wrong attitude.

He must dissolve the FACEBOOK GROUP

I got so much help from STEVE, REID, ALEX and many more and my humble gratitude to all fantastic member of HERMES LITE

Best regards,
Probir VU2BQF

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hermes-Lite" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/76990ff4-7928-4544-bbea-5fcafc68ca42n%40googlegroups.com.

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2021, 11:40:41 AM3/31/21
to Hermes-Lite

Hi all,

Lots of big businesses have a major presence on farcebook for marketing reasons.
Facebook has a huge audience of potential customers, and product messages can go viral there.
But using it for technical questions or user support certainly does not seem to be a good idea.
And marketing presence on amateur radio sites, such as qrz.com and eham.net might be more (cost? time?) effective for the HL2.
(Are there any other radio sites/forums where this might be a good idea?)

However, an interesting question is whether the Hermes Lite 2 (e.g. the Makerfabs build 9 "kit") should be marketed to a much wider audience.  This might benefit more amateur operators (and SWLs) by informing them of a better equipment/product choice; but also could involve the community supporting many more (clueless?) people without sufficient radio hardware or SDR experience. (e.g. this could end up overloading Steve, James, and Alan, et.al., and they all decide to get away and take up fishing or ice dancing instead of radio stuff...)

Comments?

73,
Ron
n6ywu

Franz

Mar 31, 2021, 12:28:39 PM3/31/21
to Hermes-Lite
Is this new Facebook Forum for marketing reasons (to spread the word) or simply due to usability preferences of Google Groups vs Facebook Groups.

My personal opinion as a new HL2 customer is that I only want one place where I can find all information and help. As soon as it is fragmented then it just makes things harder, especially as I don't use Facebook at all and Google search will not crawl a Facebook Group (at least I have never seen a Google search result for a Facebook Group post!).

If you would like a more modern message board UI, then you could consider discourse or talkyard.io. But to hide it all away in Facebook just because a UI is clunky would be a mistake IMO.

The other thing to consider is that Facebook change the rules whenever they want. Because you do not own the platform, you are just building up Facebooks data. With Google Groups and others at least there is an email history of what happened instead of having to pay Facebook to get your post history out when the rules change (and they probably will).

73
Franz
DO3PBE

Ulf Tjerneld

Mar 31, 2021, 4:03:59 PM3/31/21
to Hermes-Lite

Information is free and should always be free. And once it is let loose there is no way to lock it up again. Although I understand concerns, I’d say the fb-group is an inevitable consequence of the growing the popularity of the HL2. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of this old forum-type message board. But not everyone has the urge to search the Internet for discussion groups when it is very easy to find inspiration on a social media platform such as fb.
In this thread I sense two major concerns The first one is about fragmentation of information. I agree, but on the other hand, on fb, the potential to reach new fans is big. I think we just should embrace the initiative and be happy to welcome newcomers. Those who really want to go deeper, they will find this forum. No doubt. That being said, I think there should be no pressure to the team behind HL2 to set-up support on fb. I agree with what have been said earlier; the fb-administrators need to take care of this.
The other concern I sense is the anti-big-corp-movement that goes back to the days when The Internet was popularized in the early to mid 90’s. To address that, I can only say, that I share many of those feelings towards fb and the likes. But, fb is a reality, and no one has to sign-up. We just have to accept it’s presence and again, embrace the possibilities of it’s marketing power.

Cheers!
SM0NOR

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hermes-Lite" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/76990ff4-7928-4544-bbea-5fcafc68ca42n%40googlegroups.com.

Ed Grafton

Mar 31, 2021, 4:23:29 PM3/31/21
to Hermes-Lite
Being a Lime sdr-USB owner, I joined the FB page. Questions are asked & not answered. I usually refer them to the .IO group.
I joined the HL2 FB group & figure it will be the same, as when questions go unanswered, I will refer them here.

Ed

Eduardo Erlemann

Mar 31, 2021, 4:35:04 PM3/31/21
to Hermes-Lite
Yup. and the same with ADALM-Pluto and other RIGs, mainly SDRs which some may be popular but far away to be so popular like the legacy rigs. Good, people are realizing slowly how the Internet works :)

73 Ed 2

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/74ac2f38-2717-4cc9-8c7e-9c06e904d1een%40googlegroups.com.

Steve Haynal

Apr 1, 2021, 12:25:13 AM4/1/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Ed,

Could you please include a link to this main HL2 Google Group or the home www.hermeslite.com in your Facebook group "About" section? This would be similar to how the Teensy Facebook group links back to the teensy site and main forum and would allow people who find your group first to easily find this group. You are welcome to add a link to your group on the wiki. Also, adding any nice documentation or pictures created in your group to our wiki would be much appreciated. We are always in need of better documentation.

73,

Steve
kf7o

Eduardo Erlemann

Apr 1, 2021, 10:01:22 AM4/1/21
to Hermes-Lite, Steve Haynal
Hello Steve. Yes, good idea, it is done, although it is the first time I created a fb group still looking how to make a fixed (and more visible) topic, for now it is posted in the main discussion area and also in the "GUIDES" tab:

On Thursday, April 1, 2021, 01:25:18 AM GMT-3, Steve Haynal <softerh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ed,

Alan Hopper

Apr 1, 2021, 2:18:04 PM4/1/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi,
this is a popular thread:)
I do have the same concerns as others about fracturing the support/ knowledge base but I can see some benefits. As we cannot stop anyone creating a facebook page we might as well have someone on our side and anyone trying to help HL2 should be encouraged.
We do need to try hard to keep the support effort manageable for this project and bubbles of people using other sources will ultimately increase the support effort as less solid advice is disseminated.
I really don't know how Steve finds the time he does to support this, I'm quite sure it is more effort than many full time jobs. So I would suggest that all possible effort is made to direct traffic here.  I will limit my own response to queries to this group.
On the support front, if anyone does see a query they can help with please do, the more of Steve's time we can save, the more chance of new features :)
73 Alan M0NNB

Steve Haynal

Apr 2, 2021, 12:16:38 AM4/2/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Ed,

Thanks! Just 1 or 2 links in the "About" section is all that is probably needed.

73,

Steve
kf7o