HL2 and Linux

130 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeff Townsend WB8LYJ

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 3:34:09 PMSep 13
to herme...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone
 
I'm currently using Thetis and Windows 11.
I'm running 3 HL2s.
I'm using these mostly with the WSJT-X modes.

I would prefer to use Linux instead of Windows.
What versions of Linux are people using and what software are you using to run the HL2?
 
Recommendations please.
 
Jeff
WB8LYJ

brhl...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 5:44:29 PMSep 13
to Hermes-Lite
Linux Mint and pihpsdr.

k...@khk.net

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 5:48:35 PMSep 13
to Hermes-Lite
I am using Mint Linux and Quisk plus my own software (not released) to remote control Quisk from my phone. 

de Karl Heinz - K5KHK 

Clifford Heath

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 6:01:36 PMSep 13
to Jeff Townsend WB8LYJ, Hermes-Lite
You will find lots of different advocates for different distributions of Linux. There are around 100 different distributions, because they are almost all created by hobbyists, who all have strong opinions they want to promote about how things should be done. Every distribution builds on an ancestor version, and adds a layer of extra opinions (or sometimes, commercial support, such as Ubuntu or Red Hat). 

I have personally used about 8 or 9 different distributions, and the one I keep coming back to is Debian, one of the grand-daddies of them all. I don't think you want or need the extra layers of opinion, unless you want your operating system to become your hobby. Debian were the first to get package version management and dependencies right (even when Red Hat had oodles of money to spend on it), and they don't run after every faddish idea.

Some of the opinionated versions (Manjaro, based on Arch) have burnt me quite badly. Just go to the core versions and skip the opinions.

Clifford Heath 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hermes-Lite" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to hermes-lite...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hermes-lite/6B763E13-7D21-485A-9F3F-D31BB3D42C3F%40gmail.com.

Clifford Heath

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 6:06:16 PMSep 13
to Jeff Townsend WB8LYJ, Hermes-Lite
This family tree shows exactly what I was talking about:


Clifford Heath 

Ron Lewkowicz

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 9:26:12 PMSep 13
to Hermes-Lite
While the choice of Linux distro doesn't matter greatly I too use Linux Mint.  Generally I run the HL2 with deskHPSDR however when doing digital modes I still find that I prefer Quisk not that there is any issue using deskHPSDR for digital. SDRoxide is an interesting app for HL2 as well.  If you want to setup a websdr there is OpenWebRX+.

Mike Lewis

unread,
Sep 13, 2026, 10:03:00 PMSep 13
to Hermes-Lite

We are fortunate to have many choices.   I run many HL2 compatible apps on both Windows and Linux Mint (on a low cost SFF business surplus desktop and old NUCs) and Pi4/5.  A list of some of the ones I happen to use below.

 

Mature:

  • deskHPSDR – similar to piHPSDR but more focused on desktop UI, no GPIO.
  • piHPSDR – can go to smaller screen, leverage Pi GPIO for encoder and button control, CW paddle or straight key GPIO input.
  • SparkSDR – not only has a lot of built in digital mode decoders, but it can also do multiple radios AND multiple virtual receivers per band on each radio until you run out of CPU.  I often run 30 receivers using the HL2 10-Band RX-only firmware for one of my HL2 rigs.  10 bands with FT8, FT4, WSPR receiver decoder on each band for 30 total receivers.  Also run some more on a 2nd HL2 and also an AirSpyHF+ for VHF stuff – all at the same time.
  • Quisk – another solid option
  • SDR++ (has relatively new support for HL2 Tx, I have not tried it yet).

 

New and evolving, using modern UI or true client server designs, some using RUST and AI assisted dev:

  • Sdroxide - multiple radios, SDR and traditional rigs, built in digital mode and CW decoders – growing features and rig coverage quickly leverage AI assisted dev.
  • Lyra - C++ rewrite of older Python version
  • RigFlow – client server RUST and AI assist
  • HPSDR-RS – AI assisted, RUST piHPSDR influenced rewrite

 

There are some others, but I have not tried them or may be RX only.

 

I found it harder to find logging apps for Linux.  Here are a couple I have tried sporting support for things like SOT and POTA spots and propagation status:

  • Log4YM – modern UI
  • W0BCQ Logger

 

Gridtracker run on Linux and Windows also as well as WSJT-X.

 

Another technical capability between many of these, most now support TCI so you can more easily run app across machines or the house.  For example run WSJTX and AC Log on Windows, the SDR app on a Pi/Linux.  I have a Pi5 in the back seat of my truck next to the radio hardware.  The laptop is usually an older Windows devices and the SDR is handled on the dedicated Pi5 CPU for best performance and bandwidth reduction.  Leaves the laptop unburdened and can sit in the trailer, camper or picnic bench to operate.

 

  • Mike K7MDL
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages