Network issues

Bengt Madeberg

Nov 21, 2020, 12:14:35 PM11/21/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi

Recently bought the HL2 SDR and have some issues with the connection. I assign a static IP from my router, so far so good but if any issues occurs with the connection to my router the HL2 never gets connected again. Maybe it end up in  APIPA mode. Is it normal ? A restart is necessary. Normally units gets connected again after disconnection but apparently not the HL2.

73/Bengt, SM6MUY

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2020, 3:17:25 PM11/21/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi,
In what state are the front panel LEDs when your HL2 stops connecting?  Can you still ping your statically assigned IP in this state?
73,
Ron
n6ywu

Bengt Madeberg

Nov 21, 2020, 4:42:06 PM11/21/20
to Hermes-Lite
CLK and IP are flashing. No answer when I ping the assigned IP.

Steve Haynal

Nov 22, 2020, 1:18:26 AM11/22/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Bengt,

When first powered up the IP LED is solid indicating DHCP assignment, but if you unplug and then plug the ethernet cable, it reconnects with the IP LED flashing?

I just tried that and I see the above behavior. It should renegotiate DHCP or keep the same IP for some time. I think this is a bug in the gateware and I will have to take a look. I opened an issue:

73,

Steve
kf7o

Bengt Madeberg

Nov 22, 2020, 11:50:58 AM11/22/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve

Yes that's a correct description.

73/Bengt

Joe LB1HI

Dec 5, 2020, 11:09:16 PM12/5/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi,
the same here.    After unplug and then plug the ethernet cable or router reboot , it "reconnects" with the IP LED flashing (APIPA) but not connection to software via router.
It gets the address from DHCP again only after HL power cycle.

73, Joe

didier....@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 12:37:07 AM12/6/20
to Hermes-Lite
hello ,
Same here , this morning start the Hermes Lite and no network activity at all . CLK is flashing but ACT , LNK , IP and SPD are not showing any activity or lighting.
Switch with another ethernet cable and perform a general reset but without any success .look like the Hermes lite is not booting at all. Un fortunately looks like the my beloved Hermes lite is dead.

73s Didier

didier....@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2020, 1:01:53 AM12/6/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hello guys ,

After a quick investigation ,the Ethernet chip and the PHY was suspicious to me. With my finger i push a bit on the the KSZ 9031RN (Ethernet chip)  and i notice on my lab power supply some fluctuation on the current and the 100/hw led is blinking --> the KSZ 9031RN (Ethernet chip) has a bad contact .
Thanks god i am equipped with a good soldering station . I remove the chip and put it back with some flux ---> the Hermes lite is live again ---> put back the P6 Gateware and all good .

73s

Didier

Steve Haynal

Dec 6, 2020, 3:08:56 AM12/6/20
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Didier and Group,

I'm glad you were able to fix your KSZ9031RN issue.

Regarding the HL2 going to APIPA after the ethernet cable is disconnected which Bengt first reported, Philip recently submitted a fix for this to github. I plan to build a new release soon which will include this patch.

73,

Steve
kf7o

John Everist

Apr 11, 2021, 6:02:17 PM4/11/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Guys,

I too seem to be having the same problem the HL2 seem to be having a problem connect to my computers and I too am seeing the clk and ip LED's flashing. The HL2 was working a few days ago now its unable to connect to any computer. I have changed ethernet cables and computer but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

73's
John
G4CVC

Steve Haynal

Apr 11, 2021, 11:57:21 PM4/11/21
to Hermes-Lite
Hi John,

Please take a look at this wiki page:

It looks like the HL2 is not defaulting to fixed or APIPA address on your network.

73,

Steve
kf7o