I'm going nuts...

Roy Barbosa

Aug 27, 2024, 12:31:13 AMAug 27
to Hermes-Lite
Hi folks,

Something that I can't understand with Thetis and Hermes Lite 2.

I have Hermes hardwired to my LAN net work (10.1.1.0) while most of my computers are in my WIFI network (10.1.2.0).
Thetis works fine if I hardwire my computers to the LAN (10.1.1.0) but not while using WIFI (10.1.2.0)

What the heck?

SparkSDR works fine in either and even from outside of my network.

What am I missing? Is there a configuration somewhere in Thetis that mandates the computer network must be the same as the Hermes network?

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Best regards

Josh Logan

Aug 27, 2024, 1:36:29 AMAug 27
to Roy Barbosa, Hermes-Lite

Please take a look at
https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite2/wiki/Troubleshoot-Network

That talks about some of the network limitations.

I did not see routing called out as something not supported, but there is no way to set a gateway, so I believe all network traffic needs to be on the same subnet.

I know Quisk added a client/server setup to make routing a client issue, but let the server be close to the radio.

73, KD7HGL
Josh

Reid Campbell

Aug 27, 2024, 2:02:42 AMAug 27
to herme...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roy,

Try switching off Setup|General|H/W Select|Network settings|Limit to Subnet.

Cheers

Reid
Gi8TME/Mi0BOT

Pierre Martel

Aug 27, 2024, 8:15:34 PMAug 27
to herme...@googlegroups.com

This sound very special.

I know that we need to send a discovery packet on the network. and that packet is on the broadcast ip of your network.

Now 10.1.1.0 and 10.1.2.0 are both part of the same class A network. 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 that ip span need to have a netmask of 255.0.0.0 for it to work properly the gateway should be the same for both segment. If it is not, you have a badly configured network. To fix this you can either keep both segment as class c network and do a bridge between both segment. (can be difficult or impossible to do on some router). Could it be also difficult for you to print to a wired network connected printer while on wifi and the inverse, cannot print to a wifi connected printer from wired network?

Walter Keen

Sep 1, 2024, 3:48:41 PMSep 1
to Pierre Martel, herme...@googlegroups.com
It is very normal to split a subnet into smaller than it's classful netmask.  I've been responsible for regional ISP routing (everything from static routing to bgp) for the last 20 years for a network that has grown to about 30k subscribers.

As long as you have a router that routes between them, IP networking will be just fine.

Now, I don't have a Hermes yet, but as long as it sends traffic to its configured default gateway, and the router acting as a gateway has a route to the destination, it should work just fine.

Now, if the Hermes expects it to be on the same LAN (or, ignores the configured default gateway), then I would hope there is a way to correct that config since it would effectively break remote operation

Clifford Heath

Sep 1, 2024, 6:20:21 PMSep 1
to Walter Keen, Pierre Martel, Hermes-Lite
Hi Walter,

Are there special rules around routing UDP broadcasts? Or is that only between networks? Because HL2 discovery depends on broadcasts.

What's the conventional practice?

Clifford Heath

Jim Ancona

Sep 2, 2024, 9:25:46 AMSep 2
to Hermes-Lite
I think Clifford is right. HPSDR discovery uses UDP broadcast, which normally won't traverse subnets: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/379015/udp-broadcast-packets-across-subnets

You may be able to configure your router to pass the discovery messages. Alternatively, UDP broadcast is only used for discovery, so it should work if you can specify the HL2 address in your SDR software instead of letting the software discover it. I haven't tried this across subnets, but I'm pretty sure people on the list have reported that it works, e.g. here: https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite/c/hBroJ-_ZMms/

Jim
N1ADJ

Clifford Heath

Sep 2, 2024, 6:05:18 PMSep 2
to Jim Ancona, Hermes-Lite
I made use of this characteristic of UDP broadcasts in a widely deployed gossip protocol called LDSS (Local Download Sharing Service), for which we even got an official IANA assigned port number. But I took the principle of non-routing of broadcasts on hearsay... my protocol was very low-volume and routing broadcasts would have caused no harm, but still, to this day I don't know the extent of adoption of the principle of routing broadcasts or not.

LDSS coordinates the sharing large system update filesets over a shared low-bandwidth link, without relying on a configured download master, and having scheduled bandwidth windows to ensure that essential traffic always has available bandwidth. It's used in large networks like national post offices, and obscure things with $$$bandwidth like small networks on military ships. Such networks have node failure rates that make central masters undesirable, as failure would take down updates to all nodes on that LAN.

Clifford Heath

ron.ni...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2024, 7:58:31 PMSep 2
to Hermes-Lite
Be aware that there are now widely deployed operating systems that do not allow by default sending UDP broadcast packets to the local subnet.  It's possible more future operating system released will follow this trend.  Something to do with home network privacy.  73, Ron, n6ywu