Using quisk/VAC/Hermes - get low audio on SSB?

Ola(SM5YFI)

Jun 11, 2024, 4:51:02 AMJun 11
to Hermes-Lite
I've been using Hermes Lite 2 + virtual audio cable (VAC) + quisk  +  wsjt-x on windows 11 for a year or so, as a beginner on hf bands.

Works quite ok on digital modes ft4, ft8, etc. but I like to try SSB as well, and I feel I need a way to amplify audio out on my PC to be able to hear any SSB conversations. With quisk set to out=pc-speaker (on max volume) I can barely hear the strongest SSB conversations I see in the waterfall.

If I had a analog station I guess I would just turn up the volume on my speaker/headphone, but how do I do that what it is all digital? 100% is still just a wisper.

---
Some minor questions;
(1)After a few months I start to get errors (from WSJT-x) that "audio type is not supported on this channel on VAC" or something like it. When the errors get too irritatating I upgrade/reinstall all programs, and all seems ok for some months...

(2)WIthout really knowing what I did I installed hamlib (pc) started rigctld and got it to work to connect quisk and wsjt-x so band changes are automatic. But would feel better if I really understood hamlib, difference between rigctl, rigctld etc. Has someone seen a good manual?

(3) When I first setup my Hermes Lite i choose quisk because I got it to work, if I would try another program now, what would you suggest?

James Ahlstrom

Jun 11, 2024, 11:52:28 AMJun 11
to Hermes-Lite
When Quisk is set to maximum volume, the digital output level is close to the digital maximum value. Check your Windows settings for the volume level.

Jim
N2ADR

Ola(SM5YFI)

Jun 13, 2024, 1:56:52 AMJun 13
to Hermes-Lite
Thanks, I think I have missed the volume control in Quisk, I will try it out.  Does the Quisk control also affect volume over virtual audio channel to WSJT-x?
Skärmbild 2024-06-13 075012.png