Commercial Transformers

Steve Haynal

Mar 14, 2017, 1:45:57 AM3/14/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Group,

I replaced my hand wound T1 (Low power TX 1:1) and T2 (RX 8:1) transformers with commercial variants. I want to test these options and make sure the universal footprints work. They may be used in manufactured units. For RX, I am using a MABA-010143-FLUX18. This is the same part as used on the v1.42 frontend. During use, it "feels" very comparable to the BN42-2402, maybe a hair less sensitive especially at the lowest frequencies. For TX, I am using a CoilCraft PWB1010-1LB. Mouser has started selling this part in both US and International markets. It handles up to 250 mW, 24 dBm, of power. I notice about 0.5 dB less output with this, but it is pretty flat across HF and harmonic output is still low. Mouser also carries the PWB-1.5 variant, 1:1.5, which would be inline with what is used on the original Hermes and could provide a bit more power output.

73,

Steve
KF7O

James Ahlstrom

Mar 14, 2017, 3:16:06 PM3/14/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Steve,

The footprint for T1 (Tx 1:1) also supports the MABAES0060 from Mouser.  This is equivalent to the widely available  ETC1-1T transformer.  The max power is 500 mW.  For T2 (Rx 8:1) I don't know of any alternatives.

Jim
N2ADR

Stew KF5KOG

Mar 14, 2017, 6:37:18 PM3/14/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,

I am using a Mini Circuits TC1-1TG2+.  Seems to work fine.  Rated for 250mW.

I'll pick up a few that Jim mentioned with my next order.

73, Stew
KF5KOG

Steve Haynal

Mar 15, 2017, 2:15:37 AM3/15/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Stew and Jim,

Thanks for the other two options. Stew, where did you buy the mini circuits part and how much was it? It appears they are only available directly from minicircuits with reasonable prices starting at quantity 20. In quantities of 20:

TC1-1TG2+ $2.39
MABAES0060 $1.90
PWB1010-1LB $1.92 (Best price direct from CoilCraft)

It might depend on which part is most readily available and inexpensive in China.

73,

Steve
KF7O

kf5kog

Mar 15, 2017, 8:15:37 AM3/15/17
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Steve,  yes direct from Mini Circuits.  They were left over from a group buy at $2.39 each in quantities of 20.
Stew
KF5KOG