Using HL2 over slow networks and WiFi

James Ahlstrom

Nov 10, 2022, 3:11:21 PM11/10/22
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Group,

I think there is interest in using the HL2 over slow network connections and over WiFi. I want you to know that Ben, AC2YD, has contributed a feature to support this in Quisk. The idea is to run Quisk on a local computer, and to run a second Quisk at the remote location of the HL2. The mic audio and radio sound are reduced to 8 ksps and sent over the network. CW keying is sent as a series of time stamps. This has been tested and seems to be working well. See the Quisk group.

Jim
N2ADR

James Ahlstrom

Nov 11, 2022, 4:03:57 PM11/11/22
to Hermes-Lite
Hello Group,

Today I was able to connect to Graeme's HL2 in New Zealand from my QTH in New Jersey, USA. I pinged his remote computer that was connected to the HL2 and got delays of 200 msec. Then I used the Quisk remote feature on Rx. It felt like operating locally. I reduced my Play Buffer from 150 to 50 milliseconds, but it still worked fine. I was using receive only, no transmit.I have to admit that I was a bit shocked!

Jim
N2ADR

Steve Haynal

Nov 14, 2022, 12:49:04 AM11/14/22
to Hermes-Lite
Hi Jim,

Very interesting! I will have to try it out.

73,

Steve
kf7o

"Christoph v. Wüllen"

Nov 14, 2022, 3:22:33 AM11/14/22
to James Ahlstrom, herme...@googlegroups.com
Note that it is not the delay but the jitter that matters. This means,
if every packet arrives exactly after 200 msec, this poses no load on
the buffering. What buffering aims at is to cope with delays being
non-uniform.

So, 100 msec buffers make sense for an (average) delay of 200 msec.

Yours,

Christoph

Rob Frohne

Nov 14, 2022, 11:03:43 AM11/14/22
to herme...@googlegroups.com

James Ahlstrom

Nov 14, 2022, 12:27:43 PM11/14/22
to Hermes-Lite
On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 3:22:33 AM UTC-5 "Christoph v. Wüllen" wrote:
Note that it is not the delay but the jitter that matters.

Yes, you are right. I pinged New Zealand from the USA and was surprised to find the delay was quite constant at 200 msec. So little buffering was required. Buffering in Quisk can be adjusted by the  "Play latency" on the Config/Timing screen, so more jittery networks can be accommodated.

The original version used 48 ksps for the mic and radio audio. The latest version reduces this rate to 8 ksps. I am not sure whether this will help with the jitter or not.

Jim
N2ADR

Niels Jalling

Nov 14, 2022, 2:51:15 PM11/14/22
to Hermes-Lite
The quisk remote setup is very robust. I run the control head on a laptop on my office. Then i in my workshop the a hermes-lite and a raspberry pi is set up as a remote. I managed to blow master  fuse for the workshop . When power came up again the pi restarted and when I came back to my office laptop  it had re-connected and was showing the waterfall just as when I left the office a few hours before.
73 de oz9ny, niels