Roll Call please

Lill Roberts

Jul 26, 2011, 4:15:08 AM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

G’Day Everyone,

Jan thanks for taking the time to answer my email when you are so busy.

I wrongly assumed that we would be able to determine the approximate numbers of Australian Heritage Angora goats using PAIRS.  So I’m now left wondering just how many there are left.

We have 29, Jan has 20, Jackie, you have 4, and April, you mentioned that you had 7.  That makes a total of 60.

Those people not included in the above, I’d be grateful if you could let me know your numbers.  I’m requesting this partly out of curiosity, and partly, so if I’m asked at the show I can give a fairly reliable number.

I checked the Rare Breeds Trust Australia web site, to try to find out how many there were when the breed was listed. However, I could only find Australian Heritage Angoras listed on their site map, but with no details.  The site is very difficult to navigate, and I don’t think it’s maintained at all well.  This will not help us if we are trying to promote our goats as a rare breed.  (We decided to join, and sent an application and a cheque off over a month ago.  The cheque was banked 2 weeks later, but we still haven’t heard anything.  A bit of a lost cause I think).  Sorry, I’m just a bit frustrated.

Anyhow, if you could let me know numbers I’d be grateful.

April: Sorry to hear that your leave has been cancelled and you won’t make it down for the show.  I think Roger and I will be there most of the time with only the weekends ‘off’. However, I’m delighted that you too have decided to keep your goats.  Good on you.

All the best

Lill

Valerie Donald

Jul 26, 2011, 4:51:16 AM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Dear Lill I have got 10 AHA's  and a new breeder Wendy Cox has just bought 2 pregnant does from me.

Val

Cathy Sharpe

Jul 26, 2011, 5:34:12 AM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lill,

Dog attacks have left us with 2 adult does ( should both be pregnant ), 2 adult bucks and 2, 9 month old does total 6. Just hoping we can keep them safe.
I too wish we were closer to lend a hand.

All the best
Cathy

Valerie Donald

Jul 26, 2011, 7:31:07 PM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Wendy has leased a paddock from me so i will still feel like I am breeding them if I don't get  back into it  myself.

Wendy doesn't have a computer Jan. Do you still have the old fashioned paper work

Val

Jul 26, 2011, 9:24:14 PM7/26/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi

give my hearty congrats to Wendy for resisting the computer - we can find some forms etc for her, have you a postal address?

cheers
Jan
ps Mum says we have 23 to shear next Monday , makes me rather proud to have guessed 20!
Jan Irving
Erinrac Enterprises est 1975 ABN 37 190 361 795 http://www.erinrac.com/
Erinveine Clumbers est 1958 by DVH Irving http://www.erinveine.com we're 50 years old in 2008!
postal address: PO Box 313, Upper Beaconsfield, 3808, Australia (cleared once a week)

> Wendy has leased a paddock from me so i will still feel like I am
> breeding them if I don't get  back into it  myself.
> Wendy doesn't have a computer Jan. Do you still have the old
> fashioned paper work Val
>
> ang...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Valerie Donald
> Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2011 6:51 PM
> Subject: RE: Roll Call please
>

> Dear Lill I have got 10 AHA's  and a new breeder Wendy Cox has just
> bought 2 pregnant does
> Val
>

> To post to this group, send email to heritage-
> ang...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send
> options, visit this group at

Valerie Donald

Jul 27, 2011, 2:05:43 AM7/27/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Dear Jan

wendy's address is Wendy Cox

PO Box 701

Orbost

vic 3888

Regards

Val

Jan Irving

Jul 27, 2011, 7:02:08 PM7/27/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
cheers, forms will be mailed next Wed
take care
Jan
Jan Irving
Erinrac Enterprises est 1975 ABN 37 190 361 795 http://www.erinrac.com/
Erinveine Clumbers est 1958 by DVH Irving http://www.erinveine.com we're 50 years old in 2008!
postal address: PO Box 313, Upper Beaconsfield, 3808, Australia (cleared once a week)

> Dear Jan
> wendy's address is Wendy Cox
> PO Box 701
> Orbost
> vic 3888
> Regards
> Val

Valerie Donald

Jul 30, 2011, 2:28:18 AM7/30/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Dear Lill

You haven't had much success with the rollcall  You 29 Barbara 23, me 10, April 7,Jackie  4

the following we need to hear from as I have gone through my receipt book.

Cindy, Mal Jones, John Milham although probably can't count him, Kristy, Marie  Burton,, Keltia and Cathy. Be lovely it they all sent in how many they have. then we would know exactly whar we have

Regards

Val

Jul 30, 2011, 2:50:11 AM7/30/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi Val,

I did put in my roll call. Did you not get it?
Here it is again, 2 adult does ( both should be in kid ),2 adult bucks, 2 doe kids total 6. This is all we have left after dogs & stress of dogs have taken their toll on them.

Hope things are going well with you.

Cheers
Cathy

From: heritage...@googlegroups.com

April Hanna

Jul 30, 2011, 4:20:30 AM7/30/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Hopefully John will get to his emails at some stage.

Last time I spoke with him he had one buck and about 3 does.  That was at least 6 months ago now.

Not sure if he still has them or whether he has sold them.

I know that he was keen to sell them to someone who wanted to continue with AHA and not cross breed.

It will be fantastic to finally find out exactly how many we all have in total!!!

Take care

April

Jul 30, 2011, 8:15:40 PM7/30/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Sory Cathy I might have missed that one. Sometimes emails go astray. so far
tear gives us a total of 79. I think Mal has gone in for miniatures but I
think he should have a couple of young does. Perhaps his email address has
changed and he is not getting the emails any more. Perhaps John hasn't been
well. Don't know about the others It certainly looks like we have less that
100
Regar4ds
VaL

John Milham

Jul 31, 2011, 8:32:47 PM7/31/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

Sorry I haven't been answering emails lately, I have just finished another
stint in hospital, problems with the lungs now, they say it's the results of
smoking which I gave up 35 years ago, I may have to go on oxygen.
For the records,I have 3 does and 2 bucks, they are all of the same family
so I can't breed with them. Because of my current health problems I will
have to get rid of my flock. Is any one interested?

Regards to all
John

April Hanna

Jul 31, 2011, 10:37:19 PM7/31/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

John  -  sorry to hear that you have been unwell again  -  hopefully you are on the mend.

It is sad to think that we only have approx 100 animals still around.

I am really hoping that with our attendance at a few shows that we can draw a little more interest from further around the country other than VIC.

With myself and John being the only breeders in NSW we have a huge job ahead of us educating people that there is another lovely breed other than the solid Texans

I guess also we need a nice change in weather and no more dogs(!!!) to help us bring back up our numbers.

take care everyone.

April

Aug 1, 2011, 7:32:43 PM8/1/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

G’Day Everyone,

The weather here has been idyllic for the past few days and I’ve been outside making the most of it.  So much so, my emails have been neglected. We have moved our does to fresh pasture and they have settled well.  There was some excitement yesterday.  The alpacas had the does all in a huddle and had formed a barrier between the does and the neighbour’s fence.  They were on full alert and looking intently into the neighbour’s paddock.  I scuttled over as quickly as I could, in time to see a koala wandering across the paddock. The really good part was that we had two new young alpacas with the experienced guards and they were part of the barrier.  Good training for them.

John, sorry to hear that you are not well.  I hope you are feeling better soon and will not have to be on oxygen.  I also hope you can find someone to buy your goats.

Cathy, I received your email.  Thanks to everyone who replied and thanks also to those who did the sums for me as it save me having to take off my shoes and socks.

I’ve tried to contact Mal.  He has a new website, so probably also has a new email.

Does anyone have contact details for the other breeders listed in PAIRS?

  • Christine Stanley
  • Robiyns mohair
  • Or anyone else who hasn’t responded

I’ve organized for our farm to be looked after while we are in Melbourne during the show. Jackie, I still have you helping during the weekends.  Hope that’s OK.

Val, if you have an electronic copy of your brochure I’d be grateful for it.  I can use it as a starting point for an updated one.

The sun is out and I’m off.

Regards everyone

Lill

Jackie Stenford

Aug 2, 2011, 3:28:39 AM8/2/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com, <heritage-angoras@googlegroups.com>
Hi Lil
Yes happy to help over the weekends.
Cheers
Jackie

Sent from my iPhone

Jackie Stenford

Aug 3, 2011, 6:18:44 PM8/3/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Another sad day I'm afraid. I've lost another doe. She was in great health enjoying the sunny weather yesterday morning, Glenn had cut some blackwood branches for them, which we've done many times and they love. He then went out for the day and got a call from our neighbour at about 4 that a goat was down and sick. He raced home to find her with foaming mouth and diarrhoea. She was dead within the hour. I'm suspecting capeweed poisoning cause that's the only thing I can think of. Similar symptons as the kid buck, but he was sick for a week or so.
So now I only have three. I'll move them to another paddock but I do have a lot of capeweed coming up so not sure what to do about that.
Anyway, take care,
Jackie

Lill Roberts

Aug 3, 2011, 8:01:28 PM8/3/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com

G’Day Jackie,

This is sad news.  I feel for you.

Could it have been snake bite?  I know it’s winter, but the warm weather may have caused snakes to become active early this year.  Snake bite hasn’t been ruled out in the death of our doe.  The vet said while it would be unlikely, it was not impossible as he had heard reports of snakes being seen recently.  (This was before our current Indian Summer.)

Others in the group will be better able to talk about the effects of capeweed poisoning, but I understood that as long as there was other feed for the goats, they’ll tend to leave the capeweed alone.  It was only when they had no alternative that capeweed was a serious problem, but I would like to hear from everyone else.  We have some, and sometimes I notice that it’s been nibbled, but not devoured.

Thinking of you.

Valerie Donald

Aug 4, 2011, 2:21:26 AM8/4/11
to heritage...@googlegroups.com
Dear John
so sorry you haven't been well. there are a couple of us in the Groups not
the best. Hopefully we will all pick up and keep breeding. If you want to
sell your Angoras as Australian Heritage Angora don't forget they will have
to be registered as proof of their breeding. They will need you tattoo id in
one ear. Mine is 3VL a and a number in the other ear eg 1 or 001. If they
have come from my does and buck you will have the number of the doe and
buck they were bred from. If they come from does you haven't registered and
are no longer alive I don't know what you will do. You will have to ask Jan
Regards
Val